Software
Houzz Logo Print
seamama75

Does this marble countertop work with this floor?

8 years ago
Demo of master bath is beginning this week and I still haven’t decided on a counter top surface!! I have (rather reluctantly) thought I would be using quartz of some sort but I just do not love any of it. I’ve spent countless hours looking a million samples, hours wandering the slab warehouses, too many Houzz photos to count and I am never excited about any of the quartz. love real marble and know about all of its pitfalls. This is a master bath. I decided to go slab shopping again on Saturday and found this Crystal White. It is 2 cm polished. How would this look with a honed Calacatta hex floor? Walnut cabs will be slightly lighter than the sample door in the pic below. Was planning to do 3 cm quartz (Silestone Statuario is the closest I have been to a decision but it just looks so man made to me and I don’t love it nearly as much as real marble )House is very traditional and I am really trying hard to make timeless, safe choices. I don’t want anything that’s going to compete with the floor too much so I have looking for something very subtle or, in the case if this crystal white, no veining. Would love to hear what you all have to say about this 2 cm polished Crystal White vs any quartz (open to suggestions!) Thanks!!!

Comments (18)

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you freedomplace1. I think “pitfalls” was a poor choice of words on my part. I should have said “natural tendencies.” I am definitely partial to the look of natural materials but am also (somewhat) realistic. I have 3 young kids and have considered all of the possibilities and no doubt they will find a new way to surprise me once all of the new marble is in
  • 8 years ago

    The crystal white is fab. But the mosaic looks too creamy to work with it. It would be safer to use one of the marbles in the floor.

    seamama75 thanked suzyq53
  • 8 years ago

    Marble is classic, I love it, also. Your choices are beautiful. All the best with your project! :)

    seamama75 thanked freedomplace1
  • 8 years ago

    Have you looked at Ceasarstone Organic White?

    seamama75 thanked suzyq53
  • 8 years ago

    Another marble lover here! Do you use a lot of “potions” and wear a lot of makeup? I suspect that’s where damage can occur. If you only use toothpaste and Ivory soap, doubt you’ll have problems. Some of those face cleaners can stain towels; I had a renter ruin some blue towels. It really depends on your lifestyle.

    seamama75 thanked latifolia
  • 8 years ago

    latifolia...I do not use a lot of lotions and potions. I don't wear foundation. My main concerns with this particular marble are 2 cm and polished surface with honed floor. I'm not sure if that 'works'.

  • 8 years ago

    suzyq53...I don't think this photo is the best quality and the lighting in the slab warehouses is so bad. The white tiles on the mosaic are very 'white' so the overall look of the floor is 'white', not so creamy. I also chose a busier sample tile to bring shopping with me. Most of the tiles are not as busy as the one pictured. I have looked at Organic White and am considering it for my laundry. It's not quite the look I am going for in my bathroom though. And again coming back to it looking so man made to my eyes when I am really in love with marble...

  • 8 years ago

    I hear you. I love marble too. It also really depends on how much countertop and how much floor you have. The 3mm is better unless you're going for a more modern look I think. Polished seems to get watermarks if leave any standing water at all. What about getting calcutta for the tops too?

  • 8 years ago

    All of the Calacatta I have seen locally has very pronounced veining. I really want a more subtle look on the counter tops. I had planned to go with 3 cm until I found this slab on Saturday. And someone at a different marble slab yard told me today that 3cm could look too heavy, which I hadn't considered before. She said 2 cm is very common in bathrooms. I am not going for a modern look at all...style of house is very traditional. Lots of hardwood and old world looking sconces, etc. It was all done before we bought the house and I like everything enough.

  • 8 years ago

    Sounds nice. What edge for the marble tops?

  • 8 years ago

    One other thought is quartite, but maybe more expensive.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I would suggest looking for a high definition porcelain or ceramic tile instead of marble. Marble wears horrible and with the man made products looking so close now they are such a nicer option. I have had many clients with buyers remorse in the past even when I tried to warn them. Quartz works great for the tops.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I, like you, wanted marble. I got the honed carrara on my floor and the SuperWhite Dolomite (marbles cousin) for my countertops. I haven't had one issue w/the countertop. the honed floors, well, that's a different story. just be prepared for superficial etchings and water drop marks and smudges. it's just going to happen. with your mosaic, it's not going to be as visible. in fact, you can only see mine when the sun hits it just right. I love my countertop and knowing that it can stain, have been holding my breath. I've had toothpaste globs sit on it, make up, etc. I guess my sealer is doing it's job.

    It doesn't wear 'horrible' (horribly). It just takes on a patina of usage. don't wear your shoes on the floor, don't run the vacuum over it (don't ever vacuum that tile! use the nozzle thing but don't let the wheels run over the tile) and don't ever use any of the regular cleaners. Not even the 'green stuff'.

    I think your countertop is nice. if you do a warmer lighting, it won't bring out the cooler blue tones as much as a bright white bulb would. Otherwise, maybe look TajMajal quartzite

    Silestone calacatta eternal

    or the Stellar Cream quartz

    seamama75 thanked Beth H. :
  • 8 years ago

    suzyq...I've been planning to just do a simple eased edge. Our 1/2 bath downstairs has a 2 cm ogee edge on honed crema marfil. This counter came on the vanity we hastily bought online sight unseen when we first moved in and the bathroom needed immediate attention...I would probably make a choice other than crama marfil today but whatever. The ogee edge does have more of an old world feel. I tend to like simple edges but maybe a 2 cm square edge will feel too modern?? I have to say the crema marfil in the heavily used half-bath has held up remarkably well as far as staining and etching goes.

  • 8 years ago

    Beth H...Thank you for the heads-up on not vacuuming the honed marble! I definitely would have rolled in there when I was vacuuming the hardwoods in the adjacent room, so I am very grateful for your input! I just warned my husband and kids, too! And thank you for the other suggestions as well. I have a 6 x 12 sample of the Silestone Calacatta and went to the Cosentino warehouse to see the Statuario and Calacatta full slabs. In person/in the bathroom, the base color of the calacatta looks off with the tile. The Statuario is a better match, but does have the slightest undertone of some sort that I don't love. The lighting is all kinds of bad in there now and there is horriffic '80s pink-beige tile and pink-beige paint everywhere so everything white I bring in ends up looking pink. I need to get the new tile down, new lighting, and the walls primed to get all of the pink out of the current bathroom to feel confident in making the counter top choice. I have a designer that has been helping me with these choices but I think I am probably an annoying client because we will decide on something and then I will change my mind. The things that are already purchased are the tile, tub surround white subway tile, plumbing fixtures, and cabinets (stain color still open if I change my mind). Counter tops are the big outstanding....

  • 8 years ago

    haha. maybe it's just my vacuum (dyson) but I about cried when I used it after the floors were done and then noticed all the marks from the rubber wheels and whatever else was dragging! I really had to get down there and try to buff them out, but didn't get all of them. Now I hold it in the air and use the nozzle (yeah, really convenient!)

    what if you went with a honed black granite? looks nice w/the walnut and the marble. even a soapstone would work.

    this is backwards (walnut floor) but you get the idea

  • 8 years ago

    We also have the Dyson that is made for hard floors! I will dust mop with a microfiber pad. Beautiful bathroom but I can't do black in this house. I have my heart set on white counters and need to keep it as light as possible. I've lost sleep wondering if the walnut is going to be too dark. I did not think it would be this hard to find something to match this tile!