last modified: 6 years ago

I posted my seed starting setup on the Cooking Forum:

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/5113395/punxsutawney-phil?n=6

Like to hear what you think.

dcarch

Comments (14)

• digdirt2
    6 years ago

Just in case you didn't know there is a Growing from Seed forum here where many have posted photos and details about their set ups. It also has a great set of FAQs all about seed starting and perhaps is much more applicable than the Cooking Forum.

Your set up strikes me as small. Holds what, 1 tray? Appears much more complex than anything I use what with all the wiring and control elements but if it works for you, go for it. You need to set up a more common 'control' set-up without all the bells and whistles for comparison.

Dave

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Dave, I guess you didn't read the whole post.

The setup holds four boxes. Each box holds 36 cells and each cell for two tomato seeds, a total of 288 seedlings if 100% of the seeds sprout. In addition, it has enough room on top for me to grow micro greens.

There are charts you can Google which tell you the optimal temperature for germinating different kinds of seeds, which a heating pad, which does not have exact temperature control, does not work for me.

Because it uses digital variable temperature control, the setup, when not used for seed starting, I also use it for dough proofing, yogurt making, an incubator, etc.

For me, like many people, I am motivated to come up with this setup, is because of my allergy to spending money, the lack of time and the lack of space for storage,

dcarch

• daninthedirt (USDA 9a, HZ9, CentTX, Sunset z30, Cfa)
    6 years ago

Note that what we seem to be talking about here is a seed starting box with no lights. So the whole purpose of it is to keep the soil warm enough to germinate. Once they germinate, you need to get serious. That isn't really what we call "seed starting". What we call "seed starting" is growing from seed to the stage that the plants can be transplanted outside. Your box doesn't do that.

Getting plants to pop out of their seeds doesn't require any temperature precision. 60-85F will do the trick.

• digdirt2
    6 years ago

Yeah I read the whole thing and I get the dough proofing and yogurt making although my methods for both are much less complex.

I just couldn't see how you could get 4 1020 trays in there unless they are stacked on top of each other and that can create all sorts of problems. Uneven heating, inconsistent air circulation, etc. - especially if one mixes crops that have different germination times or can't check each tray several times a day so you don't end up with lots of leggy seedlings due to lack of light.. So what you have made is basically a small germination chamber to use for germination only.

I too have a germination box in the GH - an old upright freezer I got for free complete with shelves. Added a few CFL lights, thermo controlled heat mats, and a couple of free muffin fans. But the only thing it makes much of a germination difference in is pepper seeds.

But if all you are doing is tomatoes then one can easily germinate 20+ seeds in each 2x cell of a 36 tray - 720 plants in one tray if you want that many.

Dave

6 years ago

Actually, if you do have lights, keeping the seeds warm isn't an issue. It's just a matter of tuning the insulation to get the right temperature. Of course, it is true that for those 4-5 hours when the lights go off (and they really don't have to go off, especially if we're just talking germination) the temps will drop. I guess it depends somewhat on local temperature. If it's near freezing, CFLs might not do the job. But you'd be surprised what temps you can get up to with a sleeping bag thrown over some T-8s.

Original Author
    6 years ago

daninthedirt(CentTX; HZ10, Sunset z30, USDA z8a)

Note that what we seem to be talking about here is a seed starting box with no lights. So the whole purpose of it is to keep the soil warm enough to germinate. Once they germinate, you need to get serious. That isn't really what we call "seed starting". What we call "seed starting" is growing from seed to the stage that the plants can be transplanted outside. Your box doesn't do that.

My system is to germinate seeds with known optimal temperature control. Once the seeds germinate, they will be moved to my high intensity LED light chamber to develop into seedlings. Depending on weather conditions, the seedling may move to my cold frames, greenhouse or directly in ground.

Getting plants to pop out of their seeds doesn't require any temperature precision. 60-85F will do the trick.

Very true. Not only that, I always get a ton of volunteers in my garden, but my preference is to grown seedlings under ideal conditions. 60-85F I am sure works for you and many people, but I want to have a different kind of growing fun. Here is a chart for seed start for many different seeds.

http://extension.oregonstate.edu/columbia/sites/default/files/soil_temperature_conditions_for_vegetable_seed_germination.pdf

digdirt2(6b-7a No.Cent. Arkansas HZ8 Sun-35)

Yeah I read the whole thing and I get the dough proofing and yogurt making although my methods for both are much less complex.

Good for you. There are also ideal conditions I try to achieve for those , which require precision digital devices.

I just couldn't see how you could get 4 1020 trays in there unless they are stacked on top of each other and that can create all sorts of problems.

The pictures show clearly how that is done.

Uneven heating, inconsistent air circulation, etc. - especially if one mixes crops that have different germination times or can't check each tray several times a day so you don't end up with lots of leggy seedlings due to lack of light.. So what you have made is basically a small germination chamber to use for germination only.

The circulating fan and thick thermal insulation ensures very even environmental conditions in all areas of the box. Why would you need to check several time a day? Yes, this is meant to be just for quick and effective seed starting.

I too have a germination box in the GH - an old upright freezer I got for free complete with shelves. Added a few CFL lights, thermo controlled heat mats, and a couple of free muffin fans. But the only thing it makes much of a germination difference in is pepper seeds. But if all you are doing is tomatoes then one can easily germinate 20+ seeds in each 2x cell of a 36 tray - 720 plants in one tray if you want that many.

Yes, peppers. I also was able to start Malabar spinach seeds in three days, not three weeks.

So basically you and I have the same concept except my system has better thermal control. Also, my design is to have a system that can be taken apart in 2 minutes for storage which requires very little room, and reassemble in 3 minutes when needed, because it is extremely light

dcarch

6 years ago

I do Malabar spinach, and precise temperature control does NOT make them germinate quickly. There are other factors that do. Scarification especially. Actually, precise temperature control doesn't make anything germinate quickly. Where do you get the idea that precise temperature control is important for germination? Your OSU reference gives ranges of 30-40F for "optimum" germination temperatures.

The fans are there, I guess, to avoid temperature stratification, which can certainly happen in an enclosed space. I think that's a good reason to try to avoid enclosed spaces. But certainly if your ambient temperature is very low, that can be hard to manage. I think soil depth and soil structure will have a much larger effect on germination time than +/-5 degrees. I think the orientation of the seed in the hole will influence germination time.

I suppose that if you're going to max out the temperature, that can, up to a point, shorten germination time. I guess if I were keeping my germination beds at 90-95F or so, I'd want some smart temperature control to avoid cooking them.

Original Author
    6 years ago

Scarification of course for malabar.

I had a heating pad some time ago and it caused a fire. I looked up heating pads and fire. It happens.

This box uses less than 5 watts dimmed down bulb to maintain temperature. fairly safe.

dcarch

Original Author
    6 years ago

Nice setup!

Yeah, major turn off to some, hopefully motivate others.

Just got 1000 Watts of COB LED chips. Starting to build a few more ultra bright grow lights to replace my HID lights. Probably going to turn off even more people. :-)

Hey, To Keep It Simple you need to utilize complicated methods. You can't just surrender to Mother Nature.

dcarch

• Humsi
    6 years ago

Impressive. For germination, I put mine in baggies with wet paper towels in the cupboard above my fridge. If it's a warmer winter, they sit in the cupboard that holds my modem and router (cooler than the cupboard above the fridge, warmer than the rest of the house). Whatever works for you ;)

• ddsack
    6 years ago

Hi there dcarch! Glad to see you are still around and working on another one of your practical and innovative ideas. Have missed seeing your posts elsewhere. Looks like you may have moved since the last posts over at Tville. Lots more space and new greenhouse? Your plants have always done very well!

Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Humsi. Yes, whatever works. I keep my house below 65F, the temperature controlled box works for me.

ddsack, Howdy! I got too busy doing crazy projects so I have been away from there for a long time. Mischka (that his name?) wanted me to be a moderator there. Just can't handle it.

I hope you are doing OK.

dcarch

• bcskye
    6 years ago

I started my broccoli and brussel sprouts seeds in foil pans with clear plastic lids on Feb. 24 with no heat. By Feb. 28 they had germinated and as of today, they have their first true leaves and are ready to be potted up. Once they did germinate, I did put them under a grow light. The jalapeño seeds started at the same time are just showing a speck of possible germination in the soil. I put those up on top of the fridge day before yesterday. I have a heat mat somewhere, but haven't used it in years. Usually I set the containers with lids on top of my fridge and alternate them on top of the dryer when I have it on. Usually have very good results.