Software
Houzz Logo Print
autumn_hartman

Help with curtains!

8 years ago

Hi everyone! I was wondering what you thought about curtain possibilities in my living room.


I need something that won't stain. Something that will be easy to wipe off since I have 2 Great Danes. I was thinking about white, or off white, but I figured that would be extremely hard with the dogs. If any of you have Great Danes or know someone with Great Danes, when they shake their head, their slobber flies! Unfortunately, it would probably hit the curtains... so I'm considering other colors or advice on fabrics that are easy to clean. I'm in law school, so unfortunately I don't have the budget for custom made curtains.


Your advice and ideas are very much appreciated!




Comments (19)

  • 8 years ago

    You might consider just a valance to cover from the ceiling to the top of the blinds. I'd use it as an opportunity to add a little more color vs. the white, and you won't have to worry about the dogs messing with them.

    Autumn Hartman thanked Annie Deighnaugh
  • 8 years ago
    I was in law school a long time ago and can remember when looking up a case was done via books not online. But in any event, you can get ready made drapes that should do the trick. You can also check with a local fabric store, you might be surprised as they have people who can make panels for you fairly cheaply. Here is a visual of an online selection
    Autumn Hartman thanked gtcircus
  • 8 years ago
    Some more visuals.
    Autumn Hartman thanked gtcircus
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    A relative had a Great Dane -- tall grey slobber machine.

    Your windows are short enough that considering louvered wood shutters would probably preferable or, possibly even better, vertical blinds -- not the long ones, the short window sized ones (stop them beneath the window frame). They come in wood, faux wood, fabric and, better yet, very easily cleanable vinyl in a myriad of colors.

    https://www.budgetblinds.com/uploadedImages/Content/Corporate/Images/Blinds/Vertical_Blinds/Budget-Blinds-Vertical-Blinds-Living-Room-Green.jpg

    Autumn Hartman thanked suezbell
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    You can get inexpensive drapery panels online. Lots of sales. Try https://www.halfpricedrapes.com

    Don't do vertical blinds.

    Make sure the drapes go to the floor - not above it and not puddle on the floor. Drapes that are short are a lot like high water pants...not attractive at all.

    Don't get fabric that needs dry cleaning. Any machine washable fabric will be better for your particular use.

    Hang the drapes close to the ceiling and wide, like this sketch:

    Autumn Hartman thanked Denita
  • 8 years ago

    Yes agreed on the point about the drapes not being short! I hate that! Just checked out half price drapes. It's great!! Thank you :)

  • 8 years ago

    Autumn I just did the drape panels as a cut and paste - not intending them to be half drapes. It’s a program proportion thing. The panels are from the Houzz website. I actually liked the zebra print provided they came in a length that would go to the floor.

  • 8 years ago

    bellburgmaggie, I didn't think you were intending to show short drapes at all. I thought you were providing examples to work with the furniture. The only reason I mentioned short drapes is because so many design dilemmas feature drapes a few inches off the floor or puddled on the floor.

  • 8 years ago

    Oh no! Belburgmaggie, I knew you didn't intend the short drapes. I was responding to the comment directly above (to Denita). I should have made that more clear!

  • 8 years ago

    Just a mention here for IKEA white and beige to khaki colored drapes. Very reasonable, and are a decently nice weight fabric too, and there’s different fabrics. They are washable, too. We have lots of furry dogs, but not the same slobber, I guess. But washable goes a long way!

  • 8 years ago
    And all I can say is your place is significantly nicer than my apartment during law school. I cringe when I see the photos, but just didn’t have any $.
    Autumn Hartman thanked gtcircus
  • 8 years ago
    Have you considered treating whatever curtains you choose with scotch guard or that stuff they spray on tents to make them waterproof? That may make them easier to spot clean
    Autumn Hartman thanked mrsory
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I picked color from sofa for your drapes to tie it up.

    and from rug.

    Autumn Hartman thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • 8 years ago

    I vote for the ones above in the same colour as the sofa. That wall needs some grounding and yes to the 3 panels vs 2.

  • 8 years ago

    Agree with daisychain01

  • 8 years ago

    Hi Autumn-

    Congratulations on being a law student. Your apartment is just lovely, what beautiful furniture, light fixture, and I just love your rug! Please be sure to tack it down so you or your guests don't trip on the edge. It also needs a pad under it to protect it from being damaged by being ground down by heels against the hard floor. (I know you didn't ask, but beautiful handmade rugs are treasures that should be protected. So are hips and ankles, yours and your guests! And you do know that torts are not desserts!)

    The pad protects the rug. You need a separate system to tack down the rug to the pad and the pad to the floor. For a wood floor you can use The 3M Rug Anchors which are modified velcro systems and you need two for each corner, one to attach the rug to the pad and another to adhere the pad to the floor. The downside to the is that some adhesive will stick to the underside of your rug. The way to avoid that is to hand sew a square of heavy duty linen to the underside of the corners of the carpet. The carpet, not the fringe. The anchor system will then stick to that piece of linen, not the rug itself. It may seem like a hassle, but an ounce of prevention....

    https://www.rugpadusa.com/blogs/learn-more/how-to-protect-persian-and-oriental-rugs-with-the-right-rug-pad

    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006P5Q4R2/ref=asc_df_B006P5Q4R25365542/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=394997&creativeASIN=B006P5Q4R2&linkCode=df0&hvadid=192020456315&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=7101220047054583596&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9061111&hvtargid=pla-302184414134

    But back to curtains. Do you need these curtains to block the sun or just for decoration? You do already have blinds to block the sun, but some sun will come in at the edges. Is that problematic enough that you want to pull curtains across the entire window to block the sun, or do you just want curtains at the edges of the window to decoratively frame them, like a picture frame, or our eyebrows?

    If you really need to block the sun, you need fabric in a tight weave, with lining, maybe even blackout interlining. Blackout lining is not usually used if you already have blinds, and that is not a bedroom where you are going to be awakened by the sign. If you get simple unlined curtains in a tight weave that are machine-washable, your dogs can slobber all they want. Nothing is ever totally stain-proof in life, you might want to train your dogs to stay away from the window area starting a couple weeks before you buy the curtains. Then once you buy them, once you see a spot, wash them right away. A detergent made for biologic stains such as one made for babies clothes would probably do a good job. If you need to pre-treat a spot you can spray on some Oxy-Clean for a few minutes before you wash it.

    All that washing is not good for colors. You might want to think about lighter color curtains, and then punch up the interest in your room by adding textural throw pillows for your chairs and sofa in colors that coordinate with your sofa and rug.

    As for size and how to hang the rods, please read these excellent illustrated articles.

    https://fredgonsowskigardenhome.com/2011/05/03/the-right-way-to-hang-curtains-and-drapes/

    https://fredgonsowskigardenhome.com/2012/07/15/hanging-valances-curtains-and-drapes-on-different-kinds-of-windows/

    Autumn Hartman thanked loobab
  • 8 years ago

    Could you do window films on the small windows? That means less fabric to worry about, more natural light, and nothing awkwardly stuffed behind the table you have. They're also inexpensive and removable.

    Autumn Hartman thanked Molly
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Look for canvas or linen curtains. Inexpensive ones in IKEA and Bry Lane Home.


    Autumn Hartman thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images