Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peggy_mucci

Entry door input needed.

Peggy Mucci
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

We are replacing our front entry door and sidelites. We are currently looking at Therma Tru Benchmark Fiberglass decorative glass doors. Our home is a 1800 sq ft 1 1/2 story Cape Cod/Colonial Revival style home that has an over hang and the front faces the east. We currently have a steel door with a storm door that traps a lot of heat. I would like to keep with somewhat of a traditional look and not go with something uber expensive. The more expensive Therma Tru doors might be a little much for our home and neighborhood. I can't see putting a $6,000 door on our home. Any input on brands, styles, experiences with either would be great. I'll add a picture of the front of the house. Landscaping will be updated too. Fill free to add any input. Thank you!

Comments (18)

• Jan
    6 years ago
    Why are you replacing door? Why not paint it. A nice white. Or red. Remove the curtains too.
    Since you asked...the lighting on either side looks a little small and hung too high. Get some that hang down and are long since you probably can’t change the electrical.
    Peggy Mucci thanked Jan
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

I have taken my recommendation from your roof color ........a dark gray with a touch of olive green for depth would be a good color for the shutters and front door. BTW I would reduce the size of the hedge to not extend above the window sills.

Peggy Mucci thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • jbtanyderi
    6 years ago
    Pick white or red. Actually, a strong teal might work too. The black is killing the front of the house.
    Peggy Mucci thanked jbtanyderi
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

The 'dark gray' just keeps it from looking like a clown castle when you start adding red or teal to burgundy tone bricks.

Peggy Mucci thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Nidnay
    6 years ago

You say you don’t want to spend $6000 on a front door. How much do you actually want to spend? You can get an all wood door with divided lites and sidelights for under $2000.

Peggy Mucci thanked Nidnay
  • Peggy Mucci
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all for your input and advice. To answer a couple of questions and to clear up a couple of misconceptions from the pictures: Our storm door and current steel door need replaced. Both are weathered. We are choosing a fiberglass due to the amount of sunlight even with landscaping we plan to add and change. I apologize that the door appears black. The door was open in the picture. I took that late last summer when we were starting to plan landscaping. What you are seeing is the glass from the storm door. The door is a deep cranberry. I love all ideas and appreciate your input. We are looking at doors with decorative glass. Either 1/2 or 3/4. My comment on the amount was because Pella, Therma Tru and other brands have doors with side lights that range from 2000 to 8000 before install. Our house is not a house for the higher end doors. We want something nice and cost efficient, but the higher price point is not only out of our range, it is out of the homes range if that makes sense.

• Peggy Mucci
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Oh, the curtains were only on there while we were trying to find someone to replace our AC unit and then there was issues with our zoning system. Needless to say, it was a hot summer in our home.

• Peggy Mucci
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The sconce problem is that they are upright. They are too high. We looked at lights that hung down, but didn't come to a decision. Even the shutters are in need of replacing. It doesn't look like it in the picture, you have to see them from the side. We may be able to paint and rebolt. They look pretty rough up close.

• gtcircus
    6 years ago
    The storm door is magnifying the UV and heat on the front door. See if you can get glass where the UV is reduced, otherwise even the fiberglass will deteriorate quickly. Been there and done this before. It will be worth the added cost to either get low E glass on the storm door or have a film put on it.
    Peggy Mucci thanked gtcircus
  • Peggy Mucci
    Original Author
    6 years ago

I love the door and lights. May I ask what app you are using to do this? I need apps that don't require painting or drawing.

• Nidnay
    6 years ago
  • Nidnay
    6 years ago

Peggy Mucci...if you plan on redoing your shutters (ignore the shutter style in my mockup...there are many different styles to choose from), I would highly recommend installing them with hinges (and shutter-dogs) and attaching them to the frame of your windows (rather than tacking them on to the brick). They will look much more realistic and aesthetically pleasing and it’s really just a matter of buying the hardware and installing everything in the appropriate place (so not a huge expensive).

• gtcircus
    6 years ago
    You Doodle on IPad does similar effects.
  • Peggy Mucci
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi bellburgmaggie, we aren't replacing storm door, We are looking at doors with decorative glass panels. Probably 1/2 or 3/4 glass.

• PRO
    Maximus Prime
    6 years ago
    New color on door
    Remove curtains
    Add privacy glass
    Replace shutters with flowers boxes
    Add color with flowers
    Replace lights by door
  • fercryinoutloud
    6 years ago

I thought adding film to the storm door (and the same to the side lights if you want?) might work. I would paint the new front door and the shutters the same color, unless the door is to be stained/varnished a natural color. Then you can paint the shutters whatever you like.

There is a marine grade varnish that protects teak trim and other wood on boats that are docked outside. It does not change color but it does have to be renewed periodically. You might ask about that for your door if it is to be stained or varnished.

• PRO
    Zabitat, Door Glass Replacement
    6 years ago

You may be able to use your existing front door and add decorative door glass. We've helped thousands of homeowners transform their entries without the expense and time of a new exterior door. Let us know if we can help you on your project!