elaine86music

New 2018 Speed Queen washing machine?

elaine86music

Our old GE washing machine stopped working this weekend. I read the boards here, and it looks like Speed Queen has the most positive reviews. When I went to look at them today they said they were being redesigned for 2018 and they wouldn't have them for a few more weeks. Is it worth waiting for or is there a second best? Would I be safe assuming the new models will be as good as the old and buy it without having any reviews on the 2018 models? I really don't have a preference as to top load, agitator, etc. Just want the cleanest clothes, and do not need a lot of options.

• Jerrod

My water and sewer bill are combined. With fees I pay $10 for each 748 gallons of water I use, so about $64 to $74 per month, and I have a front loader. No way I want a top loader, but everyone's situation is different

• elaine86music

I canceled my floor model order, so now trying to figure out what to get instead.

What do you use to wash your windows and how often do you do it?

I was in the industrial cleaning biz for 15 years and hired a service to clean some of the most important windows at the GM Tech Center. He used Dawn and a squeegee. The rags were only used to dry his squeegee. Sadly, my own windows are a mess from years of bug spray which they claim will rinse off with a power washer. Nope. It doesn't. We quit the service 5 years ago and the windows are all still hazy. It's something to do with the pyrethrum and I've asked around - yep, it's bad for windows but you can't help to get the overspray when they spray your entire house. When I clean my windows I use Dawn, cleaning vinegar, and a nice squeegee and only a towel to dry my squeegee. You don't go up and down or from one side to the other. You go in a big hairpin turn type of swiping with the squeegee. It's hard to describe, but, it's how it's done. Yes, it's time. I haven't cleaned mine since spring, mostly because I haven't been here much. Our windows at our vacation home are bad as well, right now. I've been there as much as I've been here.

Speed Queen Top or Front Load Washer?

Depending on what you are trying to achieve, their top load machine is not a high efficiency machine and will use a lot of water. The front is gentler on the clothes and uses less water. The top load gentle cycle is gentle enough to handle your clothes with care, but there is an agitator than sometimes can grab clothing (rare but can happen). Either way you go would be a home run.

HELP...Need New Washing Machine Suggestions!!!

Hi guys I live in the UK and the majority of homes id say 98% have front load machines I would always take a front load machine not a top loader. I know you don't have all the same brands over there as we do. My machines have always been very hardworking. I have one machine for the cats and dogs stuff only ever goes on 95 degrees ( not sure what that is in Celsius but here it's called a boil wash ) that machine is a hoover machine it's 12 years old and still going strong after being used twice a day everyday with no repairs. I did have hoover in the kitchen but got bored and changed to zanussi that machine worked hard for 5 years then went bang. Replaced it with another Hoover machine which also worked hard but I had to have it repaired frequently. Now I have a Miele and it's perfect . I think they are worth paying that bit extra. Especially if your going to working hard. I can get duvets in it also a huge massive furry throw that goes over my bed goes in the Miele. The Miele has a 6kg drum. I had problems getting the throw in the Hoover machine even though the drum size was 7.5 kg. so in short I'd go for a Miele machine or the next best thing a Bosch then maybe think about zanussi. I wouldn't touch Samsung or LG everyone I know has had problems with them . Whirlpool machines here in the UK are crappy now as well. They had a good reputation untill a few years ago now it's all cheap Chinese rubbish. Please guys consider the front loader they are better for your clothes as they actually heat the water to the correct temperature the wash performance is so much better and so is the rinsing the spin speed is usually higher as well. I her a lot of you moan about the door seal going mouldy it doesn't take a minute to just wipe it round. And they normally only smell because people use the quick wash setting for everything. This is a big no no. Quick was is designed for very few items that just need a refresh it doesn't heat the water up enough it also drops the rinses down sometimes to just one. This means that there will residue of the detergent fabric softener and the grease etc that comes off our bodies. The normal wash programmes like the cotton wash heat up and rinse and spin properly. I always wash towels etc 95 degrees. My bedding on 60 degrees and also my whites and coloured and light coloured stuff on 40 degrees by his prohibits the build up if bacteria and mould. Also check the filter that's at the bottom of the machine and ensure the drain hose is not to low or to high ok I've rambled on long enough regards Dave xx

buying a new washing machine

I am in a similar boat. I just purchased a Samsung front loader and took delivery a few days ago. Even though it was advertised as super-quiet, I think my previous LG was quieter. I have been pretty pleased with the cleaning on it though. I also like the various cycles and more importantly that you can customize the pre-set cycles. With my previous LG, if you chose a pre-set cycle (for example, baby wear), you couldn't then say "OK, I want Baby Wear but with cold water." You had to do a completely custom cycle if you changed anything. Another thing I've noticed with this one-- and I am planning to ask a repair person-- is the sound of water going into and out of the machine is much louder than my LG. I don't know if that's just the result of new hoses or something with the Samsung itself. If I had the washer near a bedroom, this would really annoy me.
  • elaine86music

I did more researching, decided on getting an Electrolux FL, but when went to look at them realized they are too deep for my current laundry room so I am going to have to find a TL. In the future, we may remodel our home to need stackable washable/dryers, but I will have to cross that bridge when we get to it. So, given that we aren't necessarily looking for a washer that will last 10 or 20 years, is there any recommendation for a less expensive option for a TL? I still could get the SQ floor model, but I just hesitate at the cost of it for what seems basic function. Thanks everyone so much for your help.

• mdln

Would love a washer that does the "basic" function of washing clothes well. Have a washer, with more than a dozen special settings, that washes close OK after two 90 minute power wash cycles; that's 3 hours to get a half load of laundry clean. Wish I took the advice of GW experts and bought a SQ.

BTW, encourage caution when reading reviews. This is an online "review" of my washer; the bias is noted in small print at the end.

.

.

• dadoes

Fisher & Paykel's WashSmart agitator model is nicely-featured. Has five selectable water levels or auto-sense (which auto-chooses one of the five levels). Five *wash* temperatures (cold, warm/cold, warm, warm/hot, hot), rinses are cold. The Allergy cycle provides a full tap-hot fill (or any other selection). Max spin speed is 1,100 RPM. Choice of a water-saving shower rinse or deep-fill "softener" rinse.

• elaine86music

Yes, the reviews for all washers are all over the place. I do not see any consistency, even on the models consumer reports recommends. It's either a 5 (best machine ever) or a 1 (do not buy!) on the same washers. I guess what I mean by the SQ is that the price for it (over 1k) seems high in comparison to other models that have agitators and look to be more simple machines (which I am fine with).

• armjim

Do not pay over $1k for a floor model. When I bought my set back in November, I went to one store who had the washer I wanted (analog) and the matching dryer. I wanted the electronic dryer so they ordered it. They charged me $949 for the dryer but could not fulfill the order in the time I wanted it. I found the TOP electronic dryer at another store here and the price was $899. The washers were similarly priced. It pays to compare prices, and make an offer. The worst that happens is they say no, but you won't know unless you try. Don't give up and don't settle.

• elaine86music

Does anyone know what the MSRP of the 432 was?

• Patricia Kuehne

end you headache of what to buy and spend more and get the Mieles. I have a set that heats it's on water.7 years old and running great.

• SEA SEA

I paid a little more than $700 for my 432 Speed Queen top loader. It was new in box.

• SEA SEA

I wouldn't pay what your retailer is asking for new in box, but especially not for a floor model. It's a functional top loader with (IMO) very limited cycle selections and gets the job done, but it's not the Queen of England or anything. It's not *that* special. It's just a full fill top loader with decent agitation. If it was me, I would walk away from it and look for something else, but that's just me.

• SEA SEA

P.S. Sorry for the extra posts, but it kind of irks me the retailer is asking that much for the 432. If I'm paying that much $$, I want an onboard heater and considerable cycle selections. Sorry, but I wouldn't play.

• elaine86music

Ok, so then for a second choice should I look for an agitator machine? Maybe GE?

• SEA SEA

I would look on youtube for the wash action of the full fill GE (locate the model # of the machine you would interested in and look that up on YT) to see if it meets your needs. I did that before I had my final decision. To me, it seemed a little flimsy, but I'm not an expert on the topic--just my novice eye. What lead me to say a firm no on the GE was sound of the machine. I'm pretty tolerant of a lot a things in life, but the noise pattern of the GE was a deal breaker for me.

If it was me I would be looking at LG, Bosch, Whirlpool and Electrolux front load washers with a heater. Maybe there is a Maytag top loader that would please you?

Fisher & Paykel is also something to consider like Dadoes suggests. I wasn't familiar with the brand when I was washer shopping and I probably would have been pleased with it had I put it onto my contender list. It would have fit in my house too, so double bummer that it wasn't on my maybe list. From what I've gathered here on this board, they seem to be simple to repair and owners seem to like their F&P machines. But I don't have any personal experience with them myself.

Good luck. I was where you are in mid 2016 and I went a little buggy trying to research the choices. I didn't know about this board at the time either so I really did it the hard way!

• elaine86music

When out, our salesperson recommended the Maytag MVWB765FW which offers a 5 year warranty on parts and labor. Consumer Reports however, does not rate it very high. Confusing!

• SEA SEA

CR probably dings it because it uses water, and perhaps, even tap hot and warm. I don't listen to CR for the most part. They've led us astray a few times over the years and we were left with sorrowful purchases because of them. Hopefully you can find a youtube video of that Maytag model to view and see if you like the wash action. Try to look for turn over and whether the agitation motion is to your liking, etc...Maybe some comments under the video are in place that you could pick out some useful info from.

The other washers I mentioned above come in a compact size which is around 24 inches, so would likely fit in your space.

• littlegreeny

My mother in law got a front-loading LG WM4370HKA back in December and she absolutely loves it. I've had the opportunity to run a number of cycles through it and am really impressed with it's performance as well. My favorite feature is the turbowash option which has a recirculation pump that sprays during agitation to cut down on cycle times. It also utilizes a pretty nifty fresh water spray rinse during the spin cycles (along with a deep water tumbling rinse) when the turbowash option is activated. Laundry gets clean, well rinsed and spun nearly dry. LG washers are very highly rated and are also supposed to be reliable. I believe this washer might work for you as it's only about 27 inches deep.

• mdln

regular list & sale prices

• dadoes

Someone's video of their Fisher & Paykel WashSmart. The water showering from 3:25 to 7:22 is a pretreatment/recirculation function.

• quadesl

The new Speed Queen TR3 really look classy. It has a brown colored console which really look nice compared to the older models. I want one when my 15 year old Maytag pair gives up.

• quadesl

I have studied the videos of the various top load washers and for my use I think the 2018 Speed Queen would work fine for my needs. I’m not washing extremely dirty items so the later 2018 model which is easier on clothes than the prior models appeals to me. I also prefer the aesthetics of the 2018 control panel.

It appears the 2018 model turns the entire inner wash tub up to 2 entire turns in one direction and then changes direction up to 2 turns. Is this a first in top load design where the inner drum rotates during the wash cycle?

• jwvideo

The agitator is fixed to the drum and this is a first for Speed Queen. For as much and more than you might want to know about washing machines, historical and current, you might want to check out automatiwasher.org.

• writersblock (9b/10a)

Typo in jwvideo's link. Should be: automaticwasher.org

• dadoes

"quadesl: It appears the 2018 model turns the entire inner wash tub up to 2 entire turns in one direction and then changes direction up to 2 turns. Is this a first in top load design where the inner drum rotates during the wash cycle?"

No. Frigidaire (back when it was owned by General Motors) had two compact models in the early 1970s that used this design, sometimes called an agitub, but it oscillated in shorter arcs like a typical agitator. "Modern" Frigidaire (now owned by Electrolux) had a similar full-size HE/impeller toploader a few years ago but it was on the market only a year or so.

I've also seen a video of a full-size toploader in a non-US country (appears to also be a 1970s model) that oscillates the basket but it has fins on the basket, not a center agitator or impeller.

• elaine86music

Update: Decided that we did not want a floor model, even though it was Speed Queen. Went with the more moderately priced LG WT7200CW without an agitator and have had it a few weeks. Seems to be working just fine, way better than my old pretty cheap GE. I've been washing everything on Heavy Duty, and use the extra rinse. (not sure what the difference is, but if I push the extra rinse button and second time it adds another 30 minutes to cycle time). Clothes are clean, not too loud, haven't had any off balance issues or white streaks left on clothes! The only minus I've noticed, and this is not major to me is a pretty long cycle time - 2 hours, and clothes a little wrinkly but that comes out in dryer. Thanks everyone for your comments and help!

• SEA SEA

Great to hear! Thanks for giving an update. Best of luck to you with your new washer!

• rexdwilson11

I agree with all those negative comments about the 2018 redesign of the speed queen. They seem to have ruined a good thing. It's sad to see them focusing on cost-cutting and irrational obsession with energy efficiency. They previously had been proud to advertise a direct drive motor, and that's now gone. They had also previously been proud to advertise no lid-lock, making it way more convenient to add clothes. They have added a lid lock. They're not much better than all of the other (poor) choices at this point. Best to look for a 2017 model

• quadesl

I think the lid lock and water sensing added to the 2018 SQ were the result of mandates by our nanny government who thinks we all live in California. The other changes appear to make the machine easier on clothes and perhaps more reliable and easier to repair. I like the aesthetics of the new panel and will likely get one if my dependable Maytag ever becomes cost prohibitive to repair.

• rexdwilson11

fair enough, and some people might like this "easier on clothes" description. I'm suspicious of this, and see this as a way of them trying to make us feel better about the fact that there is less agitator action. People could still use a heavier action machine on the delicate cycle if they are worried about this, and at least the full-motion option would be available to those of us who want it. And taken to the extreme, the best way to be easy on clothes is to not wash them :) .

Speed Queen had been the darling of consumers who resisted the mad rush to redesign washers to make the energy efficient, which usually resulted in the clothes not getting clean. Many die-hard consumers wanted a good old fashioned machine that used lots of water and beat the heck out of clothes. We loved Speed Queen for that reason. I suppose those days are now over, and Speed Queen has gone the way of all of the others.

• quadesl

From what I’ve seen from videos, it seems clothes take a beating during the water sensing cycle where there is agitation with little water. I think the 2018 SQ does a nice job in that regard. I’m happy you can still bypass the sensing feature and choose your own water level on the 2018.

• dadoes

Speed Queen topload washers have always been belt-drive. The 2018 redesign is a not change on that point.

The reason for a lid lock is because there's no spin brake. It it is government safety regulation (IIRC, a full-speed spin must brake to a stop within 3 seconds, or else a lid lock is required) but has nothing to do with energy efficiency.

Regards to water usage, the 2018 SQ toploaders can use plenty of water for washing per the videos I've seen. The Normal Eco cycle has a shower rinse function which saves water on the rinse side of cycle but all the other cycles run a standard deep-fill/agitated rinse. The auto-sense water level function can be somewhat conservative but the user also has choice of low, medium, or high manual selections.

• gardener123wewantsophie

dadoes, do you recommend the new 2018 Speed Queen? I love the 2016 SQ top loader I purchased with the help of this forum, and am now shopping for a washer and dryer for my DD.

Any recommendation for a 2018 washer and dryer? DD has plenty of space and no preference as to TL or FL. Mamapinky loves her Duet, but I think they redesigned that as well, no?

• armjim

The 2018 SQ has a drastically different wash action from your 2016 and my 2017. You can see demonstrations on youtube. The consensus seems to be that the wash action is inferior and that the mechanical components may not be as durable as the previous generations. I may need to help my parents back on the east coast replace their 15 year old Maytag, and I don't know what I am going to do. Teaching them how to properly use a FL is not going to happen, and I don't know what to suggest short of hunting for a used machine.

• gardener123wewantsophie

Thanks so much for the suggestions fauguy. That GE capacity is impressive! Hate to hijack here, I'll start a new thread.

• Deborah lippitt

I have been checking out washers for years!! Coming from a ranch community(very dirty clothes) most of the appliance dealers don't recommend front loaders. So my 17 yr old Kenmore needed more surgery than I wanted to do(have performed enough surgery on washers for this life time) So I went down and bought a Speed Queen with 10 yr warranty..Well After hooking it up.... I should have looked this baby over better before I brought it home!!! BFD that there is no lock on the lid..

1. There is no way to set water temps differently wash/rinse..what? this is nuts! So hot wash hot rinse..warm water warm rinse..etc.

2 There is no way to set water level..so NO SMALL LOADS!!

3.AGAIN BFD lid doesn't lock because all movement stops when you open the lid!!! Totally defeats purpose of no lock..

I am so furious with myself for not noticing this..on bright side...10 year warranty is pretty good though. Maybe I can run down and get my old washer back..maybe I haven't done enough surgery for this life time...

• dadoes

You should have fixed your Kenmore. 17 years, presumably it's a Whirlpool-sourced direct-drive. Whirlpool discontinued the design circa 2010 but parts are still available and they can be completely rebuilt if you're so inclined (Whirlpool produced hundreds of millions of them over the preceding 30 years).

• Jeffrey Caban

Deborah,

Sorry to hear you are not liking your new Speed Queen.

You could bypass the lid lock like so many other have, either use a clothespin or do what this person did. Just get yourself a rare earth magnet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KdWVOrHMBts&t=101s

Regarding the rinse temp they are all cold, it's just the wash temp you can switch.

Jeff

• armjim

I did the clothespin fix for the lid. And as Jeffrey states, the rinses are all cold. The # 1 issue I have with my 2017 SQ is the default water levels set at the factory. I have yet to try and remedy this with the fix I have seen on Youtube, so whenever I do a large load I have to use the reset to get the level of water to the top of the tub. Otherwise, I have been very happy with the SQ washer.

• jwvideo

>>>"There is no way to set water temps differently wash/rinse..what? this is nuts! So hot wash hot rinse..warm water warm rinse..etc."<<<

Did Jeff's response about cold rinses answer your question?

I ask because I'm not sure I understood your point correctly. To clarify, was your point (a) that you were thinking hot washes are followed by a hot rinse etc. or (b) that you want the ability to set warm and hot water rinsing when the machine only provides cold rinses?

If you meant (a), then I think Jeff covered the issue --- all rinses are cold water rinses.

If you meant (b), then, while the machine settings won't do that, you can add that functionality by manually routing some hot or warm water through the cold water feed on those times when you want a warm or hot water rinse. This "hack" takes advantage of how washers' Automatic Temperature Controls (ATC) are designed to work by restricting hot water input and just "assuming" that everything coming through the cold water input is cold.

One way to manually override the washers ATC limits is by placing an inexpensive (i.e., <$200) small 120v point-of-use water heater in between the cold faucet and the washer's cold inlet. When you want hotter hot or warmer warm washes , or hot or warm rinses, you just turn on the in-line water heater and set the temperature where you want it. Turn off the in-lin heater when the wash is done. (If you want cold rinses but need a wash temp that is hotter or warmer than the ATC allows, you just turn off in-line heater after the wash fill). Alternately, you also could add valve-controlled cross-feeds on which there was some discussion and photos of one example of such a set-up in this recent thread at the AuotmaticWasher site.

• dadoes

Assuming Deborah has the newest TC5 SQ model, it does not have a water level selector, other than an option for Deep Fill. All the cycles operate at either the default fill level (which varies by a couple gallons depending on the cycle and is approx 1/2 to 2/3 full), or at the Deep Fill level which adds 2 to 3 gallons more water (also varies depending on the cycle).

Her 17yo Kenmore would have a choice of load sizes/water levels, up to 5 or fully variable depending on the model. The temp selector also would reference the selections to both wash and rinse temps, and one or two of the choices would be a warm rinse.

These are large changes / limitations on the SQ vs. her old machine.

• Deborah lippitt

The Kenmore had a bad bearing..about $400 but the store had it hauled off..bummer. I am getting another Speed Queen ...a model TR5000 with water levels you can set..They hadn't informed me of the auto setting with rinses being cold water. I have my water heater set pretty hi. I WILL get this washer to do what I want..not what it wants..Cancel the wash and reset so I can get it to agitate several times..some fiddling cancels the warranty..but since the machine is supposed to last 20 years..maybe a chance I will take.

I can handle machines and can do major repairs though as I said I've done plenty this life time..I'm 68.

It is pretty pathetic that machines are no longer made to suit our needs. And that our government has become like a helicopter parent..Some idiot blows it and the rest of us suffer. Front loaders are more dangerous than top loaders anyhow. Most of the accidents I found were do to parents not watching their kids. One was where a washer fell on a kid?? WTF how the hell does that happen? Or parents set a baby in a carrier on top of the washer and the kid fell off. And don't get me started on refrigerators ok then flat screen tv's..seems not much is made to last anymore..try finding towels or sheets that last 20 years anymore..just a crabby old woman complaining about how it used to be!! hahaha

• dadoes

I have two WP direct-drive machines (one 1999 Kenmore, one 2002 Whirlpool) that I recently rebuilt with new bearings/tub support, basket drive/brake/clutch and other related parts, ~$285 each ... but that depends on what's available shopping for parts.

The TR5 is a completely different mechanical design and wash action than the TC5 ... you may be disappointed. Be interesting to hear your report on it. And there's no provision on it to set the rinse temp, all rinses are cold. The lid locks a few mins after starting a cycle, last I'm aware.

• Deborah lippitt

Rub it in will ya..If the store hadn't already gotten rid of it I would have taken it back and fixed it even if it did cost $400..way better than these government regulated machines. Checked local used appliance stores and and my go to used appliance repair guy sez that there has been a run on washers the last couple a weeks and supplies aren't there. So I have tried..I still might if the store makes things difficult..GO to guy sez new supplies coming in next week. I might look further afield. That was my next question how available are parts(bearing) for these older washers??

Hold the pause button and the locket disengages..and you have to restart cycle..no biggie. And thanks for the heads up on wash action I will check on that. I can live with the cold rinse.

I may be spending next week searching area for older 2 washers..one to use and a parts machine!! hahaha

It has been a shocking immersion into a brand new world..coming from my user friendly machine to these new ones..you can color me extremely PO'ed.

And at least now I have some idea of the series # and finding the age of a machine too.

• Deborah lippitt

As I go looking for an older(pre locking lid) what brand and years are the best?

• dadoes

Whirlpool technically discontinued production of direct-drive machines circa 2010 when a new design came out ... but they still used it for a few more years for some coin-op models and ThinTwin stacked sets. I last bought those parts in 2017 but I can't imagine any of it has yet been discontinued. Prices have increased ... but cost of all parts has increased

I recommend most Whirlpool-made direct-drive machines pre-2010. That includes Whirlpool, Kenmore, Roper, Estate, KitchenAid (more rare than the others), and (after 2006) some Maytag, Amana, and Admiral models. Many models of varying feature sets were produced. There were some toward the end that had an automatic water level function (no manual choice), and some that had an additional water level control hidden in the console that restricted the agitated rinse to approx 1/4 to 1/3 full regardless of what level was set on the accessible control (for the wash fill).

• Deborah lippitt

Found 2 Kenmores..1 an 80 series and the other 90 series..both made by Whirlpool(110) around 2002. Maybe I am way to set in my ways but I think machines are here to serve us..and forget all auto stuff..

You were right about SpQu Tr5000 and TC 5000..I talked to a gal who has TC and she loves it..told me a few ways to beat the automatic stuff..And the drive in the other IS inferior..Can this TC5000 with auto sensors select a really low water level? This gal said 9" water level is lowest it will go..that is a lot of delicate laundry!! 1/4 level would be nice..

• dadoes

The TR5 has auto-sense water level. The TC5 does not, it has two fixed levels for each cycle (default or Deep Fill option).

I don't know how much range the auto-sense function allows. I don't recall that anyone posting TR7/5/3 vids on YouTube has done an auto-sense with no clothes (which should provide the lowest level). Could be the lowest auto-sense level is the same as when Low level is selected manually.

• Deborah lippitt

Doesn't matter..I opted for machines that work FOR me..not ones I have to hoop jump to work for me..2 older Kenmores..2004 another around that age..one for parts? Appliance person said parts are easy to come by for these..Here is a case I use to judge for criteria..Husband helped slaughter a neighbors ailing 2500 bull. Came home with blood on his jeans up to his knees. Threw them in washer..Set H2O at low and cold(left lid up) Let agitate for a couple mins. Soaked all night. Turned agitator back on(lid still up) When done Turned it to Spin. Came back Set water on Hi and warm added soap and threw in more jeans lowered lid..Done..All jeans perfectly clean and took them out to the clothesline..Viola!! NO hassle ..did what I wanted how I wanted it..You ever dye anything an old style machine is imperative! I'm going kicking and screaming in to this new world..of helicopter laws and shoddy manufacturing.

• Larisa Batchelor

Sounds like an older machine is what you need. The newer machines can be a disappointment to some when transitioning from a older “old school” top load machine. Sounds like a used machine is your best bet. Good luck!