a_k_leviguez

Advice about purchasing a Hallman Industries range

A & K Leviguez

Hi, we are in the early stages of renovating our kitchen and I wanted to purchase a good looking range. I came upon the Hallman Industries range. 36" inch. they are beautiful, but I have not seen any reviews only on Home Depot. Curious if anyone has had an experience with them.

Comments (1.1K)

• pernice4

Brianc2112: I’ve tried emailing you twice...can you check to see if you have you received any emails from me. Thanks!

• davidmackv

pernice4: I made two phone calls to Home Depot, once before I ordered and once after I ordered and they refused to give me any kind of discount.

NEED OPINIONS ON INDUSTRIAL STYLE LIVING ROOM!

HEY GUYS...! HERES A FEW UPDATE PICS. We're on the home stretch now! As an FYI for those of you who haven't been following what we're doing on the project, this whole project has been done with almost exclusively recycled or repurposed items, and we're doing all the work ourselves. (And we've gone completely and totally insane in the process =0 ) All in all, though it's been a ton of fun and we've been able to complete the entire house for what could easily be spent on a small bathroom reno. ALSO INCLUDING A FEW BEFORE PICS FOR COMPARISON =)

Need help with kitchen range hood for Bluestar 48" range

Thank you for your comments. My kitchen is 11.5 x 23 (including table space). I need the double ovens and have no room for a wall oven or single oven placed elsewhere. I have the design in place, but was told that the high output ranges may yellow the white painted hood above. Do you agree? I am a serious cook will be using the griddle and wok rings periodically. My preference is the white hood though. Am I making a mistake?

advice on selecting a range hood

Emily and Greg, those are very relevant questions (which we wish more people would ask!). As a manufacturer & distributor of high-end range hoods, we can offer the following advice: 1.) Matching stainless steel - usually not a concern, most stainless-steel appliances are finished with a fine polish (example attached), so they will match, more or less. However, there are a couple of exceptions to watch out for: * Anything labeled as a "brushed" finish may have a much rougher texture - ask for a close-up photo or a sample of steel if you're not sure. * Some refrigerators are finished in a "fingerprint-free" surface, which is much more matte and non-directional (microscopic "dots" or "sparkles" rather than fine lines). 2.) There are many CFM guidelines, however, it boils down to "having enough ventilation power to accommodate your personal cooking habits, without making the range hood sound like a 747 at takeoff, and without sucking all the air out of the house". For most people, who will cook on 1-3 burners at a time (since most of us aren't trying out for Chopped or Iron Chef), airflow in the neighborhood of 600-900 CFM is adequate. Lower CFM is usually not enough, and hoods producing more than 900-1000 CFM are usually too noisy for comfortable use. 3.) With a wall-mount hood, the chimney cover only needs to be high enough to cover the duct. If your duct will be routed into the wall (i.e. with a 45 or 90-degree angle), you don't have to worry about the chimney reaching the ceiling (example attached). If the duct will be going into the ceiling, most range hood manufacturers offer "chimney extensions". However, if the ceiling is sloped, you may need to build a small soffit or moulding, or cut the chimney at an angle to match the ceiling. We offer more than 200 models of high-end, designer range hoods, made in Italy. Please feel free to give us a call at (800) 230-3565 for a personalized consultation - with this kind of selection, we're confident that you'll find the right range hood for your requirements! Best Regards, The Futuro Futuro Team

coastal/industrial??

Amazing view!! I agree with the others...no glaze on cabinets or island. I would avoid brick behind your range as it would be too difficult to keep clean. What kind of countertops are u considering? That will be a factor in choosing your backsplash. With ur pretty blues, I would keep it simple. Good luck! Keep posting your progress!
  • pernice4

Ugh, sorry. Lowes is better at military discounts. I’m guessing since the Hallman range doesn’t really go through them (inventory wise) other than order processing and delivery that it may be why. Try asking when you go back in to store location w print outs in hand. I understand its a long drive, but if you are going for anything else, it’s also worth a try. I must say, the best Home Depot I’ve been to has been in Dripping Springs, TX. Nicest and most accommodating! I also purchased the 5 year extended warranty. Perhaps they can throw in a warranty package for you instead.

• Dustin Smith

36 inch , just got her in. Everything works so far. I am trying to figure out about the little backsplash trim piece you can add because i cant find mine ?

• luckyblueeye

Gorgeous Dustin! What a beautiful kitchen to go with that beautiful range.

• davidmackv

Dustin, great looking kitchen. I'm doing a pot filler also, what brand is that? Looks exactly like the one on Wayfair I am considering.

• lydiben1

Dustin, I assume you looked everywhere for the backsplash. Look inside pieces of styrofoam. I hope they did not forget to put in box. It's only about 4" .

• annag8821

To those currently using their Hallman ranges, how is the upkeep on the SS top?

• lydiben1

In my opinion it is easy to clean. I like the fact that I can take the burners apart and put in dishwasher.

So far we’re enjoying the 48” Hallman - cooked a rotisserie chicken in the smaller oven tonight and it turned out great! We’ve also made cookies and used the burners frequently with success. I also have those metal fillers LarSquare suggested and it’s a great solution between the range and countertop - so thank you! I have two questions though.

First, it seems to take forever and multiple ignitions to get the burners going. Am I doing something wrong? They will light then go out. Then I try again and again and finally after who knows how many tries, the flame maintains. I did read in the manual it can take 10 secs to ignite, but the initial ignition is not the problem, it’s the continued flame once my hand leaves the knob after 10 seconds.

Second, it came with a long metal hook type thing and can‘t figure out what it is - maybe related to the larger rotisserie?

• davidmackv

HU-252218800, there is a thermocouple for safety on each burner. You have to hold the knob for 10 seconds AFTER lighting to allow the thermocouple to heat up to keep burner on.

• nancywooster

Regarding turning on the burners, you have to press and turn past the picture of the flame on the dial and then release. If you let go before you turn past that picture, the flame goes out. When you do this, it’s just a matter of seconds for the flame to turn and stay on (for me, it’s like 2-3 seconds).

• Michlene Daoud Healy

We have been debating on the 48" range as well. I can't believe the $1,000 increase- does anyone know why? I am trying to justify paying the increase and would love some advise as to if it worth it. Also- overall it seems that the range is worth it, correct? Can I get a link for the metal fillers that you mentioned HU-252218800 Thank you so much!

• luckyblueeye

Michlene, a few days ago Hallman's own website still had the stainless 48" for the same price of 4,600...and there is no sales tax if you are outside TX.

• luckyblueeye

Bad news, I just checked...it also is at $5,099 now.

• M H

Luckyblueye thanks for looking. I would like clarification as to why the dramatic increase in the cost. Have there been changes to the product @hallmanindustries @benhallman

• M H

And as of this morning the accessories increased by a few hundred dollars!

Barnes Custom Builders

We had a client order a 24" range recently, in the matte graphite finish. It was ordered in April, delivered in July - which seems to be the norm. So far, no issues. I will say that the customer service is 'eh'. I had to call numerous times to get delivery dates/tracking info etc. They didn't seem to record the delivery information that we gave them and it had to be given again a few times. When it arrived, it was missing the chopping block that was ordered - I called and they said they would ship a new one right out, and send the tracking later that day. Three days later I had to call to ask for tracking.

It was ordered directly from Hallman.

All in all, the experience was positive if you aren't in a rush. We were nervous about this one with all the negative reviews - and the fact that none of our local appliance dealers have ever heard of Hallman. It looks great and I hope that our client will be happy with it.

• hper1

I just checked Appliances Connection and it appears the only Hallman ranges now being offered there is the 48"? I suppose I'm glad we ordered our 36" while it was still offered and before the other sites raised prices. But yeah, this only serves to deepen our anxiety about our decision to purchase a Hallman...

• lydiben1

Maybe the price increase is because tariffs?

• luckyblueeye

I'm thinking that the price had to be low to get in as a new brand. Now it's time to make some $$ also, not just cover the expenses. I hope they are successful :) HD seems to offer all the sizes.

• davidmackv

Well, the Hallman line are made by Ilve of Italy. If you look up the same stove as the Hallman 48", the Ilve is $5900, so I guess it is a good deal. However, you can get a Thor, NXG, ZLine and several others now cheaper than the Hallman.

• jaybwas

Hallman Industries: Do not buy from them! I have been trying to get a replacement range 48" Yes, a replacement range for 7 months but today I was told by a representative that owner John Hallman said no to the replacement range. The ovens are dual electric ovens both are over heating from an improperly vented product causing condensation to build up inside the ovens that leaks down the glass door and pools on our floor. John said I need a new gasket. The knobs all become so hot you can't touch them with your bare hands when the oven (s) are on that's because it is venting out the front improperly. When you open the doors of the ovens steam clouds come out, its so hot. As well as both ovens having this issue the burners do not function properly as well. We have burners that turn off in the middle of cooking other burners that when turned off remain on with a small blue flame and when they decide to turn off they produce a loud "pop" the service company was out said burners are bad and need to be replaced but to wait and see what Hallman does with the oven condensation issue as this is unheard of. Hallman Tx contacted the manufacture in Italy they did not even respond to Hallman TX to give an answer as to why there is condensation inside the ovens. I have spent 7 months calling emailing sending pictures and videos leaving messages again me doing this. Only one time did I ever get a call from Hallman and that was to set up delivery of a replacement range that was after months. John Hallman is now saying no, that his representative "Corrine" did not have the authority to offer me a replacement range. So when I was told He won't replace the range I said I want a full refund and that I will not be paying any fees for packaging etc. I said I want this range removed from my home immediately as I do not feel it is safe. I am afraid to use the range as it causes a water slip hazard and a house fire hazard from improper venting and over heating. On Monday I will be contacting an attorney and filing a complaint with BBB and consumer affairs. In no way should I the consumer be left with a improperly functioning product and I do not trust Hallman Industries will refund my full purchase price especially in a timely fashion. I will keep you updated. Sharon Wassell

• lydiben1

Sharon, you may want to contact the credit card company you used to pay for range. If you have documented the problem, they may issue you a refund for the purchase and take up the issue with Hallman. Try that first because Hallman may not give you the money back. Good luck.

Here are the fillers. You choose sized based on the space between counter and sides of the range.

Stainless Steel - Stove to Counter Gap Cover (for 2 to 21mm gap) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HLRDXV1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_BlStDbV98CABE

also thanks for the lighting tips. I still have two burners, over the small oven which light and run for a minute or two and then turn off.

• Dustin Smith

Sorry I didn't get back quicker .....the pot filler in my picture is a brand called Signature Hardware it is very quailty built....nice thick all metal fixtures.

A few other things

I found my trim piece it works great

We didnt know dual fuel meant electric ovens , gas cooktop so we only had 110 outlet ran upfront. Luckily we were able to run some 8/3 wire and install a 50 amp breaker in our panel to get that going. It all works great , we did go through the 4 month lead time on ours but so far everyone loves it. The controls are kinda wierd with the timer /clock etc....for the oven but we are figuring it out.

• kristaleora

We recently got our 48” dual fuel and it’s beautiful. Has anyone else had a hard time figuring it all out? The manual is very confusing and although I can get it to work, I don’t feel like I’m using it to its potential.

• hper1

My latest update: ordered mid-June. September 5-October 5, 2019 was the estimated delivery range. Just got confirmation that our range is in Brooklyn, "pending pickup." Looks like we may end up with it delivered well before our kitchen addition construction is finished. Fingers crossed.

kristaleora, I hope folks have some tips and tricks on usage. I'm sure I'll be dumbfounded when ours arrives.

• lydiben1

In-house expert relating to Hallman ranges is LarSquare. This person knows everything about Hallman ranges and then some........................

• lauriehirsh11

In the details the 36” range has delayed start and end of cooking function that turns off the oven automatically. Is this correct?

• sjohnson2152

@lauriehirsh11 There are five buttons (not four as originally posted; I forgot there was a (-) button to reduce time set because I almost never use it) on the left side of the oven that adjust the oven on/off and I have only figured out the first 2 buttons so I cannot speak to the delayed start (this could be something set with the 3rd button that I haven't played around with) The oven does automatically shut off though. The button farthest left is an alarm that you can choose to set, or not, it does not affect whether the oven turns on or off. The four buttons to the right of the alarm seem to be what control on/off. It seems that either the 2nd or 3rd button must be pressed and a time set in order for the oven to start heating. I have only used the one just to the right of the alarm (2nd button). With this setting, the oven will stay on for the duration of the time you have set and turn off automatically when that time expires and beeps at you obnoxiously until you press it--using this setting, the oven turns off regardless of where the temperature and oven setting knobs are set to.

As for others asking about guidance as far as using all the settings, I'd say you're going to have to experiment. I have started to take notes on how I am cooking things to figure out what settings are best. I have a whole process for getting a pizza cooked just how I like--extra crispy crust but gooey, just barely browned cheese. I probably made about 5 pizzas before I figured out what works best. Maybe if a number of us do this we can later share on this thread and help "develop" a better guide. I will say the setting I use most often is #7--it seems to cook meats and vegetables well in both covered and uncovered dishes.

• pamela adler

Can someone please help me?! I cannot figure out how to light my 36”hallman stove?! the Manual is ridiculous- no key for all these crazy symbols- says only need to turn knob counterclockwise hold for 10 seconds - that’s it!? Please advise! I’m going crazy!? Thank you

• smileythecat

Might have to order out tonight.

• sjohnson2152

@pamela adler Are you trying to use the burners or the oven? If it's the burners you push the knob IN and hold it in as you turn towards the large flame symbol-like when igniting a propane grill. You'll hear clicking as it tries to ignite. Hold the knob IN until the flame stays lit. This can take several seconds. After lit you can turn the knob left and right without pushing in to adjust the height of the flame.
    If it's the oven you need to do a few things:

1. Turn the far right knob to preheat setting which is farthest from off. From off just turn until you can't anymore
    2. Set the temperature knob in the middle to desired temperature.
    3. Go to the buttons on the left of the range. Press the second button from the left once and then use the button farthest to the right to add the desired amount of cook time. You should hear the oven fan when it begins to pre heat.

Once preheated you need to use the knob farthest to the right again and choose a non-prehest setting to cook your food. the guide gives some vague guidance on what each setting does.

Hope that helps.

• pamela adler

Thank you for such great detail. I’ve been doing exactly what you said . Holding knob in and Turning knob, just like gas grill- I hear gas hissing but no clicking, I never get a flame. I thank you though-

• sjohnson2152

Sorry to hear it's still not working. Sounds like the starters on yours may be defective. They're the little white nubs that stick up next to each burner. Have you contacted Hallman? I hope they are able/willing to assist. Please let us know how they handle it. I have not needed any warranty services but from what others have posted I worry for the day I do...

• lydiben1

If it was installed by a contractor, call him back. He should have done that before leaving. If you did t yourself, see if you can find a technician near you to troubleshoot. Because calling Hallman is gonna aggravate the hell out of you. The first time my contractor tried ours it took a long time for the flames to show up. He said it was the distance from the propane tank to the stove. Eventually it worked out.

• pernice4

Just an FYI....i found that the larger two ring burners required me to hold down the knob until flame takes and continue pushing in while turning to flame height while holding for abt 10 sec.... the smaller rings I found that once flame takes hold and I move to size flame... flame doesn’t stay on, however I’ll push it again (in flame position) and it comes right on. Qwerks to work out... but I do love my oven range. Another tidbit: when oven is on...to obtain light for oven. Press knob for oven range control (not temp control).... although indicated in manual... it still took me awhile to figure it out. Good luck!

• lydiben1

My ovens light stays on while baking or roasting. They turn off when timer is done. ?????

There are so many quirks to figure out with this. I've found that the more frequently I use a burner, the easier it is to light. Don't know how that can be the case. But overall, it's working great!

If anyone has

a) links on where to purchase cookie sheets that they know fit in the smaller oven on the 48" I'd appreciate it. I had some 1/4 sheet pans which were still a tad too big.

b) links on the best practice for cleaning the griddle that'd also be great. I've watched videos for similar styles, seems like hot water and steam are key, along with pressure. But how to add that pressure to scrub with hot water and steam without burning myself?

• sjohnson2152

@ HU-252218800 I've done some experimenting with cleaning options. You are correct that just plain old water while it is still hot is the most effective method. I purchased this scrubber kit from Amazon that keeps you from burning yourself while you clean. Both cleaning pads seem to hold up to the heat: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07KWVPL48/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If the water doesn't get all the brown/black discoloration off, you can use some "bar keepers friend" cleaner (also available on Amazon). Squirt a little on the griddle (after it cools off) and push it around with the black scrubbing pad pictured below. Then just wipe off the residue from the cleaner with a washcloth. It turns the griddle pretty shiny silver again.

Thank you! That is so helpful!

• hper1

DELIVERY UPDATE! So, our range arrived today, just shy of three months since we placed our order of a 36" matte graphite with chrome finish from Appliances Connection (before prices increased). Delivery went smooth and husband was there to inspect/sign off. Everything looked great with one notable surprise: our range is branded ILVE. It might be a little hard to see in the second photo, but there's an ILVE nameplate on the warming drawer and everything.

I was also a bit surprised that the rods have more of a brushed nickel look than the shiny chrome I was expecting but it'll work with our planned decor.

Our kitchen is still being constructed, so it'll be at least a month before we can fire her up and test things out.

• hper1

Whoops, I thought the name plate iwas the warming drawer but it's actually just beneath the window on the door.

• luckyblueeye

Hper1, that's interesting! Gorgeous range no matter what name it carries :)

• Lindsey

Hper1 did you purchase through Home Depot? Did you see one in person before purchasing? I’ve been looking for Ilve brand so am curious about the difference between Ilve and Hallman. We looked at a Lacanche but for the price we weren’t satisfied with the quality.

• hper1

Lindsey, I purchased through Appliances Connection. No, I didn't see one in person first. The Hallman ranges are made at the Ilve factory and from what I've been able to gather, there's really no significant difference between the two other than how they're branded.

• beeps03

I'm considering getting the 36" dual fuel, but am wondering if the inside is be enough for a 28 lb. turkey. I saw this addressed upthread with the 48" one - but haven't seen it mentioned with the 36" one. Does anyone have a 36" one that they could measure the interior dimensions of? Thanks!

• tennhouse1

I think they both have the same size oven which you can check in the specs online at home depot

• beeps03

oops, that was supposed to say "big enough"