Software
Houzz Logo Print
hazecole

Backsplash disaster!!!

8 years ago

Hello, I have a small galley kitchen. I didn't want a plain white kitchen. I like a backsplash with a little character. I went through many samples until I found this one. I never could find any picture of this tile on a big wall.


Once installed the tile has no pattern. The installers tried every way possible. Is this too busy?


Thanks for all your help!


Keep current backsplash?
Tear out and redo backsplash?

Comments (18)

  • 8 years ago

    It wouldn't have been my first choice, but its in now. Maybe live with it a while and see if it grows on you.

    hazecole thanked suzyq53
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Way too busy with that countertop, unfortunately. The backsplash is beautiful, and the stone is beautiful, but together they're competing with each other. You need a simple backsplash design.

    hazecole thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • 8 years ago

    Agree a simple backsplash design is needed...subway tile in the cream from the granite.

    hazecole thanked chloebud
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I would agree that together the countertops and backsplash are competing with one another. I would continue with the geometric design (or a similar one) but in a single color pulled from the countertops.

    hazecole thanked Blue Diamond Remodeling
  • 8 years ago

    Its tough spending money in the first place, but to spend again to replace what you just bought.... In this case I would replace, its not that large of an area, I am thinking under 1k. Take your time and choose carefully.

    hazecole thanked smileythecat
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Agree, pattern should be either in the countertop or the backsplash, not both. Since the cabinets are a bit brighter white than the creamy countertops, my vote would be a gray or greige solid pattern field tile, subway or other shape, so that you aren't highlighting that difference. Luckily that shouldn't be a huge investment, but never fun to spend twice, good luck!

    hazecole thanked TKS Design Group
  • 8 years ago

    I think it's nice! Reminds me of argyle. I'd use solid color countertop accessories.

    hazecole thanked athomeeileen
  • 8 years ago

    I know this is shocking but, a coat of quality paint is perfectly acceptable on the backsplash. If you must have tile perhaps a very pale grey.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I think you already know the answer. You titled the thread "Backsplash Disaster". Nice tile but it is way too busy for that counter.

    You can do a white or gray backsplash with a tile in an interesting shape (no contrasting grout). Or a subway with slight color variation. They will be more interesting and creative than plain subways but won’t fight the counters.

    If you choose white, make sure your whites look good together and don't clash.

  • 8 years ago

    It's a beautiful backsplash but, unfortunately, doesn't go with the countertop.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I've seen worse. It isn't horrible, but it could be better. At least the colors all match. If you had done that splash in one single color, instead of 3, it would have worked.

    Do they go together? yes. are they both busy? yes. Is sit livable? yes.

    what do you want to do? I would not paint it. (it's glass chi,,,and crackle glass at that...)

    Live with it for awhile if you can, put your stuff on the counter. maybe a bowl of fruit in the corner, a few potted herbs in white pots,,,,see if that helps.

    I also think if you had plainer, simple handles, it would help.

    even those pulls are busy looking.

  • 8 years ago
    Too busy with the counter tops. If had dark, simple counter tops it may work fine.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Yes............ disaster is the correct word. The tops had "character."..........no MORE "CHARACTER" was needed. Get rid of it. Beth is being extremely kind.. My eyes hurt. There's a mile between plain.... and the result you have.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    No. just no.

    Much too busy, and there is a pattern. Not sure what you mean about "no pattern." A plain rectangular tile in white of off-white will be much more classic, and cheaper to change the backsplash than the countertop (as someone else suggested).

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    After you tear that out, install a solid color white(ish) solid surface, please. You could get 1/4" for a vertical application. The last thing that needs is more geometric grout line competition.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Too busy - replace with white subway tile that matches or complements cabinet color.

  • 8 years ago

    Jan, lol..I was. I was trying to lessen the blow. I know how horrible it is to have to rip out something you just paid good money for and have to redo.