Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slecrone3

Paint my front door for me please

Steph Doyle
6 years ago

I would really like to change the color of my front door from brown to something that stands out...would love your suggestions!

Comments (30)

• Waynette Bailey
    6 years ago
    Purple
    Steph Doyle thanked Waynette Bailey
  • PRO
    Grey Heron Interiors
    6 years ago

Hello slecrone3.,

What about Benjamin Moore Rich Coral 028? It would brighten it up and look lovely with the stone.

Steph Doyle thanked Grey Heron Interiors
  • Sirey
    6 years ago
    I think a bright green would be beautiful especially with the lovely greenery surrounding the house.
    Steph Doyle thanked Sirey
  • Rina
    6 years ago

This isn't the kind of house I would want to see a jazzy-coloured door on. I agree on picking up a colour from your brick -- but I'm not thinking blue-green, more one of the lightest neutrals in the stone.

Steph Doyle thanked Rina
  • Steph Doyle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Won't the door just disappear with something muted and similar to the stone color though? Is black an acceptable color for a door? I just can't stand the brown...

• pink_peony
    6 years ago

I think a Deep gray would look nice. It would be a pretty contrast to the gold in the glass feature on the door.

Steph Doyle thanked pink_peony
  • pink_peony
    6 years ago

Ave A · More Info

Deer Valley, Utah Retreat · More Info

Steph Doyle thanked pink_peony
  • Steph Doyle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Love that!!!

• suedonim75
    6 years ago

What color do you like? I think you could do pretty much any color. Go bold! It's just paint, if you hate it, then re-paint.

Steph Doyle thanked suedonim75
  • chloebud
    6 years ago

I also like the black. Based on your second photo I think a soft white would help pull the door out of the shadows for more presence. Along with that it would look good with the mortar in the stone slabs.

Steph Doyle thanked chloebud
  • valeriepritchard_1
    6 years ago

First & foremost your home has much presence & is majestic.

I also like the black, Hale navy by BM, blue toned gray such as Gravel Gray by BM, dark turquoise or as the person above suggested lighten up the dark entrance with a lighter shade of taupe, cream, light gray. Can I also suggest you beef up the light fixture especially if you decide on a high contrast colour like black.

Good luck & pls let us know what you decide!

Steph Doyle thanked valeriepritchard_1
  • Steph Doyle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Navy is a color I had not considered until you just mentioned it! Thank you!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

I would keep it dark to complement the stone.

Steph Doyle thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Steph Doyle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

The more I see black, the more I like black-Thx for sharing that middle one! It looks nice with the green plants.

• PRO
    Zabitat, Door Glass Replacement
    6 years ago

Here's a few more options for you! We took the liberty of swapping out your glass to match your home's style. Let us know if you'd are interested in seeing any other decorative glass styles applied to your door and/or sidelight.

Steph Doyle thanked Zabitat, Door Glass Replacement
  • tammygi
    6 years ago
    Maybe the color of the bushes out front (barberry bushes?), a muted brick reddish color.
    Steph Doyle thanked tammygi
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    The first “color” the eye sees is white. So since the house seems rather dark I would suggest going white on door and sidelight and on the pop outs with new black metal roofing. I did this little mock up for you to visualize these concepts.
    Steph Doyle thanked Flo Mangan
  • PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    You also must take care to stay within the European style of your home. Look for homes in this genre here on Houzz and take some cues from the ones you like.
    Steph Doyle thanked Flo Mangan
  • dianabreen
    6 years ago

slate blue

Steph Doyle thanked dianabreen
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

or gray

I actually see purple in those stones. A deep Aubergine or soft Eggplant would be perfect.

and new light

a dusty, purple/gray,,,like this shade (I couldn't find it on a door) would be the perfect match. I'd do brushed gold hardware and change out the light. I'd also do a cedar beadboard porch ceiling stained like, below.

Steph Doyle thanked Beth H. :
  • loobab
    6 years ago

Hi slecrone3- Your house is beautiful, congratulations!

You asked about the door color, but it is really the whole entryway that could use some freshening up.

The color of your door isn't bad, although you could make it a deeper brown.

What does need changing is the glass. The yellow glass that is there now is not the thing at all. Please change it out for non-tinted glass, and you can decide what if any kind of treatment you want for the glass.

The light fixture at the door does not do justice to the size and beauty of your house, and should be replaced, yours is too small. It's diameter should be 1/5 the height of the door plus casing*, larger than and match the style of the light fixtures at your garage, and your door knocker (which you will purchase.)

Please purchase a more generously-sized door mat.

The candles at the doorstep don't really add anything. What would look great are pumpkins or poinsettias placed at the outer edges of the lowest steps in their appropriate seasons.

You could add planter boxes to your other two double windows and add flowering perennials and perhaps annuals in front of your shrubs

*https://www.thisoldhouse.com/ideas/all-about-front-entry-lighting

Enjoy your beautiful home in good health!

Steph Doyle thanked loobab
  • Terri Orf
    6 years ago

Check out SW Urbane Bronze or Anonymous.

Steph Doyle thanked Terri Orf
  • Steph Doyle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you for all the recommendations! What a fantastic resource you all are! I agree that the glass needs to go as well. It is very dated...I do like the eggplant, and the last door that Beth H posted is amazing (as much as I didn't want brown??). Maybe too modern for my house?

• Steph Doyle
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Just as a side note, the more I look online at 'Tudor' style houses done in similar stone colors, I really don't see much color used for the doors. About 95% of the houses use some stain on hardwood for their front entrances. I've seen both light and dark, but mostly wood. Maybe I'm heading the wrong direction with using a color on my door? Many use minimal glass on their doors as well? Any thoughts on that? Feel free to let me know I'm barking up the wrong tree with this. My current door is painted oak (I didn't do it), and I can easily sand and stain it.

• PRO
    Flo Mangan
    6 years ago
    If you want to stay true to your homes styling, i wouldn’t do big color. Any deep color like the eggplant, or glossy black or light using white would be very nice. Improving the whole entry as suggested above plus creating a bit more interest in the landscaping would take things up a notch. One or two bright blue flower pots could give you a color boost without being permanent change to the house itself.
  • loobab
    6 years ago

Hi slecrone3-

To sand and stain the door is a marvelous idea!

I looked online for images of stone veneer Tudor houses, and what I noticed was that the ones with dark gray roofs had dark brown stained doors, and the ones with lighter gray roofs had medium brown stained doors.

With the sun and lighting, etc, only you know what color your roof really is.

Given that your stone and steps are on the lighter side, if your roof is lighter, then a medium stain would be best, but why not check out those images for yourself.

Another thing, a pair of topiaries on your lower step would look nice if you like them and don't mind clipping them.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

slecrone,,,yes, that last door I posted is a bit modern, but I posted it for the color of the wood. And you're right, most stone tudors had the wood door. heavy doors , sometimes w/iron work. majority were arched. If you want to do the wood, then look for something like these.

btw, these lights and little topiaries would be perfect! The one below w/the leaded, beveled diamonds, are perfect Tudor!

• banfen
    6 years ago
    Dark charcoal grey
  • User
    6 years ago

Stripes

Kidding. Love the black some folks did above.