Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karidaylight

Using different color vinyl plank floor for bedrooms??

karidaylight
6 years ago

This house had vinyl plank glue down flooring everywhere except bedrooms (which were carpet) when we moved in. We ripped up the carpet in the bedrooms and we want to put vinyl glue down planks in them too for allergy reasons (previous owners had cats). I have searched far and wide to match the vinyl to match what the rest of the house is and I can't match it. I have seen advice on Houzz that says different color is bad idea, and I have seen advice that says it's ok and to have the planks perpendicular to hallway. We thought using a close match would look obvious that we couldn't match it so we thought going a different color would be ok. We only plan on being in this house for maybe 5 more years so we don't want to redo the whole house and we didn't want to spend a bunch of money so we are going with the glue down type that is already in the rest of the house. And we plan on using area rugs in the rooms as well. Here is a picture of the color that we like next to the current floors in the house. It's kind of a long hallway with 2 bedrooms off it and then master at the end and around a corner. Master isn't visible unless you walk around corner at end of hallway. Think this will be ok aesthetically and for resale?

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Beck Renovate and Remodel
    6 years ago

Having a different color in a room like the bedroom is fine. Actually any room that has a door is ok because it is creates a line for new flooring to start.

karidaylight thanked Beck Renovate and Remodel
  • PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
    6 years ago

Consistent flooring is always best, but if that's not an option the one you selected looks okay. I'd maybe look for something a little warmer than the sample you have but overall if a room has a door it's okay to have another flooring.

karidaylight thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • cpaul1
    6 years ago

No, those two don't look good together. I don't understand why you can't buy more of what you already have. I would research that a little more before I gave up on that plan because that is what needs to happen if you're going to stick with vinyl planks. Honestly what I would do .... I think bedrooms need to be carpeted, so I would recarpet both bedrooms.

karidaylight thanked cpaul1
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

cpaul1,,,did you read what she wrote?

I have searched far and wide to match the vinyl to match what the rest of the house is and I can't match it.

It's fine to do something different in the bedrooms. you could try and get a little closer to the other color though. I hate laminate, so if I was a buyer I'd be thinking about changing everything. You don't want carpet in your bedrooms? so much better than that laminate. quieter, warmer,,,think about it.

karidaylight thanked Beth H. :
  • karidaylight
    Original Author
    6 years ago

We went back and forth about carpeting but our son has allergies and we have a dog so we figured some sort of hard flooring would be better. It's not laminate, it's vinyl plank. The color of this plank we like is almost same color of the carpet that was in the bedrooms so I thought the colors would go ok together. I have found some colors that are closer to existing floors but thought if it wasn't an exact match that it would stand out??

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    6 years ago

yes, I see what you mean. I have different flooring in all of my rooms. it's your house, so get what you like. there's no rule. let the new buyers down the road worry about it. If someone likes all the same flooring, they're going to lose their mind when they look at my house!

And really, you're living there. I really get tired of people thinking they have to decorate because of possible buyers in the future! I mean, come on. it's your house. I'm not going to not have something because 'future buyers' may not like it! do you see the condition of some homes that people buy? If they want the house, a few bedrooms w/a different color flooring isn't going to turn them away.

karidaylight thanked Beth H. :
  • My House
    6 years ago

As a prospective buyer, color matching is most important. The obvious contrast floor stands out, more so than a near match. It's a shame the former owners didn't leave extra flooring boxes. If you decide to contrast - be prepared to make concessions for flooring allowance at resale time. Cheers!

karidaylight thanked My House
  • SJ McCarthy
    6 years ago

I prefer to see a darker bedroom floor than lighter. The pattern on the plank and the colour tones are also to be considered. Your existing is quite yellowy/orange but the new floor is blonde/beige with some some gray. It's a colour clash.

The new option also has knots. That means it will look more rustic than the existing. That will also cause a bit of a clash.

Since you are only going to be here for 5 years, I would go ahead and get a click together vinyl or a lamiante. When it is time to leave, remove it (if it is too much of a colour clash) and then put in new carpet in the bedrooms. It is easier to get a nice look with carpet than it is to get a faux-wood with a different faux wood.

It is probably the cheapest option. Many home buyers will accept carpet in bedrooms....but they will NOT accept two different wood-look vinyl floors sitting next to each other. It does look odd.

And remember: glue down gets MUCH more expensive. That concrete needs to be CLEAN....and I'm seeing something running along in the photos. Glue down is always more expensive (vinyl + glue + prep + expensive labor) than click together (vinyl + prep + cheap labor).

karidaylight thanked SJ McCarthy