Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greta_efferson

Brick Planter in Front Yard

Greta Efferson
6 years ago

Complete noob here so apologies for any mis-steps. I have absolutely no idea what to do with our planter, While I'm leaning towards knocking it down completely,Filling it with something seems easier. It's about 12" wide and very long (maybe 10'?). Faces West. Shade in the morning, sun in the evening. We live in New Orleans, Zone 9 so we need heat tolerant plants. Can anyone give me some ideas? Grasses? Or pretty little flowers? The previous owners had giant nightmare ferns. I had to empty the planter almost completely to remove them. I have two youngin's under 7 and a full time job so not too much time to tend to gardening these days. TIA!!

Comments (8)

• chiflipper
    6 years ago

Keep the planters! I agree on the roof cleaning and have them clean the planter bricks too. After that, a consult with a local plant nursery for suggestions...and don't forget to change out the soil in the planters, it's probably exhausted by now.

Greta Efferson thanked chiflipper
  • Geneviève
    6 years ago

You could enjoy annual flowers in the flower box ,I purchased a watering can and some garden tools for my grandson when he was little and he really enjoyed watering the flowers with us , you can always find plants that do not require too much care .

Arcadia Exterior Remodel · More Info

Greta Efferson thanked Geneviève
  • Nick Platt
    6 years ago
    Using your stated perimeters, some type of bunching grass would work. They come in varieties 2 inches tall to 6+ feet tall. Many don't require lots of water and most only need to be cut down once a year. Over time they will grow to fill the planter and be hard to remove but unless you plant an aggressive variety, it should take several years.
    Greta Efferson thanked Nick Platt
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    6 years ago

I know of very few ornamental grasses that will grow in shade.

• Greta Efferson
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thank you all for your help! Love your ideas. The planter does get afternoon sun. A bit more than 6 hours in the summer. We thought of herbs too...think those would look ok?

• Nick Platt
    6 years ago

Herbs would look nice but in my experience they take quite a bit of work to keep looking nice. Also I can't recall any that like shade. Basil likes lots of heat but also drinks lots of water. Oregano might work but is an aggressive spreader and self sows readily. I have no experience gardening in the Deep South ( I'm in the pacific NW) so maybe someone down south would have better herb ideas. I hear tomatos do great down your way but again they take more work. A grass that would might be worth checking out would be one of the Japanese forest grasses. Up here I can grow it in deep shade or full sun depending on variety.

Greta Efferson thanked Nick Platt
  • chloebud
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

Greta, check with a local nursery for suggestions. One suggestion I have would be to fill the planter with ivy geraniums. They'd do just fine with your western exposure. Here in Southern CA they bloom year round...very showy. Just want to emphasize I'm referring to ivy geranium...not zonal geranium. My favorite variety of ivy geranium is called "Blizzard," but there are others.

If you like, you could include some herbs, too.

Greta Efferson thanked chloebud