Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jimsusan

Pool landscaping ideas in Maryland

Susan
6 years ago

Love our small pool but have almost no land for landscaping and decorating around the pool. Too cold for ferns and palm trees and can't expand the concrete around the pool because of restrictions in this water community. From the pictures you can see how close one of our neighbor's house is to our pool. Need help please!

Susan

Comments (14)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    6 years ago

we need location

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    6 years ago

i just saw the TITLE.. lol ... sorry .. ken ...

• Susan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

no problem-thanks!

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

If you are in coastal Maryland, you might try Needle palm (Rhapidophyllum hystrix). Windmill Palm is a difficult choice for any parts of Maryland.

Others plants that you could try to get a tropicalesque effect are:

vitex, mahonia beali, large grasses, canna (mulch in winter), contained bamboo, camellia, hardy hibiscus, aucuba, variegated Yucca.

Are you in coatsal or western Maryland?

• Susan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Thanks Doug We are outside of Annapolis in a water community. Very small lot and limited space around pool. Would consider starting all over with the pool landscaping. Its a mess really

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    6 years ago

some ideas based on the plants mentioned:

• Susan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Doug what is the tree behind the mahonia beali?

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    6 years ago

That is a Ligustrum japonica. You could also use edible fig tree.

Susan thanked Dig Doug's Designs
  • PRO
    American Beauty Landscape Design
    6 years ago

Gm Susan, I see your dilemma we face the same issues here with impervious surface issues regarding lot sizes. From what i could see you really don't have any usable patio space and you need privacy. You can remove all of the river rock from the beds. Choose an area to expand the patio into, We use a 3/8" size stone and install a product called "gravel loc" , it binds the stone so u can use it as a patio and water will still pass thru it . For the privacy start with Alaskin Weeping Cedar or Columner European Hornbeam against the fence in line with the chimney. Then plant Goldflame Spirea, Sonic Bloomer Weigela, Twist & Shout Hydranga, Green mountain Boxwood, Green velvet boxwood. These are all small to medium size shrubs that wont require to much maintenance so you can enjoy your pool!!!

Susan thanked American Beauty Landscape Design
  • PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    6 years ago

Another tropical look using needle palm, pampas grass (or dwarf pampas), crape myrtle & golden bamboo (contained):

• Susan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Doug love your ideas! my favorite is the first one but I can see how the second one of the end of the pool would be great too! the one in front of the house next door is fabulous too! The area between the end of the pool and the one between the house next door is basically a hedge with spider plants in front. Would you take this hedge down or wait until the new plants/bushes/trees mature? Same question for the right side of the pool. There is a large overgrown hedge that has seen better days but still provides privacy. Your thoughts? many thanks Susan

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    6 years ago

I'm just giving you some different looks to consider. You live in an area where pulling off a tropical feel is possible with the right plants. If you were a 150 miles south your options would really open up.

• Susan
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Love all your suggestions!