Software
Houzz Logo Print
plevels

My family room doesn't feel finished or cosy

8 years ago

I don't feel like this family room feels cozy enough. Does anybody have any suggestions? Also I feel like I need to put something on top of the fireplace mantel. I am looking into finishing the mantle and doing a more rustic looking mantle......but in the meantime, it will have to do.

Also this area between the living room and patio doors has this little console table, I have no idea what to do ith it or what to put on it or

n those glass



The bottom of the mantle is not painted white yet...

Comments (56)

  • 8 years ago

    You need reading lamps and books. One lamp on the table between the two chairs and one lamp at each end of the couch. A book case somewhere--not sure exactly where. Bookcase could be on the wall behind the two chairs. Hopefully you have some books that need a home.

    plevels thanked yvonnecmartin
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Try the sofa facing the fireplace. I think your pieces are beautiful, but they don't relate spacially to each other.

    plevels thanked auntthelma
  • 8 years ago

    I would consider removing the tile but I caught my husband so hard on that just a few years ago and we had a totally different look in this room at the time...he said I would be sick of it and want it gone ..and it cost us so much to do it ..is there a way to incorporate it?

  • 8 years ago

    I'm faught my husband so hard on those tiles* not caught

  • 8 years ago

    The room is nice and I like the tile. I agree with jck910 moving the television to the ladder wall would help and then you could put artwork on the tile to warm it up a little (and hide the old TV holes). And yes the chairs would go between the pillars

    plevels thanked nkkblevins
  • 8 years ago

    Yes the chairs would have to go between the pillars, unfortunately they are on the large size for the room even where they are now. The tile is fine, you could paint the walls the same beige as the tile so it blends better

    plevels thanked jck910
  • 8 years ago
    Agree with moving the TV, moving the furniture a little but closer and adding floor and table lamps!
    plevels thanked awldavis
  • 8 years ago

    Hi plevels-

    The bones of your room are quite lovely, the room just needs some tweaking.

    Don't be so quick to paint, do other things first.

    I think you can leave the TV where it is because it is in the best place for viewing.

    You do need to warm up the room, it definitely is not cozy, you are correct.

    You need to change out the throw pillows. Decide what you want your additional accent color will be besides the blue. Pick one other color, maybe two, and look for pillows in them. Change one of your throws as well to incorporate the new accent color(s) with the blue and cream.

    For the two chairs, don't have two Lilliputian pillows like that have at least one pillow in an adult size of 18" x 18" or 20" x 20" or both that size and only use those small size pillows called lumbar support pillows if someone actually needs them for lumbar support.

    There is no purpose for the ladder on that wall, I would find another place for it, or get rid of it.

    Get art work for that wall in the colors you have chosen. Not teeny tiny things, a large statement piece. Do not get a gold frame. Whatever finish that frame has, change your TV frame to match that.

    Get a large live green floor plant for the room.

    I don't know what is on your mantel, but get some appropriate things for your mantel of differing heights.

    What is that big box on the floor to the right of the window? Can you get rid of that? And what is in front of that?

    And why is there a vase on top of that? Put that vase on the mantel and see what that looks like.

    The candle on the table makes no sense, take that away, there isn't enough room on that table to put down drinks, and that is the purpose of a side table, after all! And those chairs are too close together, move the outer one a little further out and spread out those nesting tables a bit.

    Let's see a photo of the mirror and what is under it to see what is going on there.

    plevels thanked loobab
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you everyone, I value all your ideas.

    Loobab, I will move some of those items...and try some of those things. What colour would you paint that frame around the t.v.?

    Also, how many accent colours would you say to incorporate? I thought I made that navy an accent...should I do anither (a second)?

    Also, i will send another photo of that black console table by the sliding door.

  • 8 years ago

    I would suggest that you place the TV on the console table and then arrange the chairs and sofa so that people can see the fireplace and the TV as they wish. Since you have blue in the area rug, I would suggest blue throw pillows on the seating pieces to bring color and coziness into the room. You might be able to display wall art above the mantel and/or in places to flank the mantel. I would suggest you relocate the ladder and place a pretty lamp and a small green plant on the small, round end table to bring some light and life into the room. I think the white, formal mantel is beautiful as it is and would keep it that way.

    plevels thanked sheilaskb
  • 8 years ago
    Hi plevels-

    You can add one color for sure, and two if you want. I would wait to paint the frame around the television until you see how the rest of the room shapes up, for example, what the frames are like on the art work you get.

    As for colors, the cream of the sofas is really the absence of color so that doesn’t count.
    You can really choose any color you like. Once you choose a color to go with the blue, then the third color choice is more difficult.

    A way to make it easy for you is to look to mature- flowers and birds. If the colors occur together in nature, they will work.

    You can also look online for some combinations, and look at a color wheel.
    plevels thanked loobab
  • 8 years ago

    Where am I putting the artwork again?

  • 8 years ago

    What if I did the navy blue and brown...i love natural wood colour???

  • 8 years ago

    Nice room but, yes, more cool than cozy.

    Consider putting the two chairs at right angles to each other so there is more space between the wall by the fireplace and the chair. Then you could fit some wood shelving on each side of the fireplace. Barrister's bookcases would work well or plain bookcase

    https://www.custommade.com/arts-and-crafts-cherry-bookcase/by/BattermansCustomWoodworking/

    or a curio cabinet

    https://www.bloomingdales.com/shop/product/mitchell-gold-bob-williams-two-door-caldwell-curio-cabinet?ID=1672160&CategoryID=21669#fn=ppp%3Dundefined%26sp%3D1%26rId%3D56%26spc%3D38%26spp%3D19%26pn%3D1%7C1%7C19%7C38%26rsid%3Dundefined%26smp%3DmatchNone

    or a Sedona cabinet.

    https://www.livingspaces.com/pdp-sedona-bookcase-51284

    The top of the cabinet should not be taller than the top of the tv.

    plevels thanked suezbell
  • 8 years ago

    Suezbell...lile the idea of shelves...i really like the farmhouse look...any idea of ones that would suit that style more? Also, I'm not sure of what you mean about moving the two chairs?

  • 8 years ago

    Like the idea*

  • 8 years ago

    I really like your tile! I love that it’s different and unique. Not every living room needs to look the same :)

    plevels thanked Kim KP
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Navy blue and brown work very great together. You can get throw pillows in brown or brown and cream, a fluffy chenille throw in all three colors, and accessories in brown or brown and cream, such as large seashells or coral to put on the mantel or to put on a shelf on the wall, wicker or rattan trays, etc.

    Art work would go on the wall where the ladder is. A landscape would be perfect because that would have blue in the sky or water and brown in the tree trunk.

    Please put up a photo of the wall where the mirror is, and explain the things in the corner where the box with the vase on top of it is. That corner is where you could put a large green floor plant.

    plevels thanked loobab
  • 8 years ago

    Another place to introduce brown would be in front of the sofa. Instead of the too small ottoman that is in front of the sofa, you can get a square brown leather ottoman that gives color and marvelous texture, and put a great tray on it so it can be used for drinks and snacks.

    You might want to move the sofa away from the fireplace wall as much as possible and put a small round end table between the sofa and the fireplace wall.

    plevels thanked loobab
  • 8 years ago

    Im going to look for a brown bigger ottoman. It's just ...my husband wants that ottoman because I always yell at him for putting his feet up on our other coffee tables, we got that so he could do that...LOL

  • 8 years ago
    Well, now his feet will have lots and lots of room :)
    And men do like leather furniture too.
    plevels thanked loobab
  • 8 years ago

    Loobab here is the wall next to the patio door next to the large sofa



    and this the old crate i use to keep the extra pillow

  • 8 years ago

    Does this look better ontop


    of fireplace?

  • 8 years ago

    I removed those lumbar pillows and I had two navy pillows already, but they're not the same as the other two navy ones on the sofa...shoulf I get the same ones for all 4 pillows?


  • 8 years ago

    Throw pillows-

    You definitely do not want all your pillows to be the same!

    In fact, I would suggest more variety than all pillows being dark blue or cream.

    Please look for pillows that are blue and cream together, brown and cream together, and brown pillows.

    Your mirror-

    The mirror does nothing for that room.

    Since you want more of a cozy feel with a more natural look,

    What would work better is a round or starburst mirror with a wood frame. Here are some types, there are many more.

    If you are going to get curtains for the adjacent door, do that first so you can get the correct size mirror.

    If you don't want a mirror there at all, you can get some artwork.

    In any event, the mirror you have there doesn't belong in that room.

    The curtain rod is incorrectly placed and sized, and the curtains are missing on the right side. Please check this article-

    https://fredgonsowskigardenhome.com/2011/05/03/the-right-way-to-hang-curtains-and-drapes/

    The three objects on the black chest don't work with each other, but don't worry about that now.

    First place over that chest what is going to live there and then you can decide what the appropriate objects will be to put on the chest.

    The vase is fine on the mantel, but those dead sticks in it don't make sense at all, just get rid of them. You are better off with a plain glass cylinder and 3 or 5 lucky bamboo, with some straight and some curlicue, fill with water and put some clear marbles or clear glass pebbles in the bottom.

    Get rid of the wood book on the floor with pillows in it. Use the pillows or don't, but don't put a box of pillows on the floor. That will allow you to pull up the off white table/cabinet forward so it can be used as a side table.

    The ladder doesn't belong in that room either.

    Ladders are used to display textiles, such as towels in a bathroom, quilts in a bedroom, or books in room where a lot of reading is done. None of this applies in this room.

    When the TV is off, does it look like a mirror? Let's see it like that, so we can get a better idea what the objects on the mantel look like next to that. It does seem like besides the vase, the other two things are too short. One of the other things should be of medium height.

    It may also be that your sconces on either side of the fireplace are too small relative to the mantel, but you can save that for last.

    You might want to paint the mantel to match the wall color.

    Do you have a ceiling fixture in that room? If not, do you have a junction box?






    plevels thanked loobab
  • 8 years ago

    Okay so I will put some medium sized things next to it on the mantle and I will get rid of the wood sticks

  • 8 years ago

    Ask for the curtain I will take a picture of it close to show you

  • 8 years ago

    Im moving that box...is there another way to use that old crate..i love it

  • 8 years ago

    I have pot lights in this room that I just had put on and flattened my ceiling

  • 8 years ago

    that cream coloured cabinet holds all my tv boxes and o don't think I can love it up because of the plugs not reaching

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Great, then you don't need any lamps! The sconces are really just for show, but their proportion is just too small.

    In place of the wood sticks, you can cut some live leaves and branches from your back yard.

    Keep the cream cabinet and use it as a side table, pull it up so that the front is at the front of the sofa so it can be used as the side table for the sofa.

    I really can't think of any use for that rough wood crate. Put it away for now, maybe you can think of a use for it later.

    If the flowering plant is real, great, if it is fake, get rid of it.

    The curtain is nice, but do you have a panel for each side of the window?

    The pendant that I can see reflected in the mirror is lovely!

    plevels thanked loobab
  • 8 years ago

    Yes I have a curtain on either side

  • 8 years ago

    Soon will also out a wood frame mirror sonce I love that wood look so much

  • 8 years ago

    I pulled up the table too

  • 8 years ago

    I've taken out the sticks from the vase and removed the other objects ..anyidea of what else I can put Now?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Maybe move it a bit closer to the sofa-

    Sit on the sofa with a drink in your hand, you should be easily able to set down a drink without feeling like you are doing a stretching exercise!

    On the mantle you need three objects of varying heights, shapes and textures.

    And let's see them with the TV off!

    plevels thanked loobab
  • 8 years ago

    that's the tv when it's off

  • 8 years ago

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Looks great!

    Buy a large live green indoor plant, like an areca palm, kentia palm, monstera deliciosa. Put it in a wicker basket, and set it on the wood crate turned upside down, or the little wood bench, and put it behind the sofa in the corner.

    plevels thanked loobab
  • 8 years ago

    Oh yay...a good use for the crate...thanks!!!

  • 8 years ago

    Im going to look for skme pillows too online...does this ladder look ok?

  • 8 years ago

    I'm thinking of painting the stairs white but leaving the landing and the railings wood...would that look ok too?

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I would do one project at a time, leave the hallway alone for now, and just work on the family room.

    That ladder is fine, I can't tell if the objects on it are arranged properly.

    I wouldn't paint quality wood in good condition.

    Curtains look great!

    plevels thanked loobab
  • 8 years ago

    I am not sure if I followed all of the comments so far. As soon as I looked at your room my immediate thoughts were that you have a wonderful space to work with. The very first thing that I would do is remove those window shades. I see so many beautiful rooms that are brought down by shades that look like paper bags. Sorry. Then add curtains, lamps,and wall art.

    plevels thanked grapefruit1_ar
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks but I really like those blinds...they aren't paper. They're bamboo.

  • 8 years ago

    Maybe I could be curtains over it too?

  • 8 years ago
    If you decide to paint the staircase... keep treads (top of stairs where you step) natural wood, paint the risers, spindles, & posts, and leave the railing natural wood. Stair treads get a lot of wear and paint may not hold up well.
    plevels thanked Laura Hill
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    plevels-
    You do not need to put curtains over the bamboo blinds which are nice and give that natural earth texture to the room. But if you want to, you can, but hang them the same height and the same way you did over the sliding glass doors with the same curtains.

    plevels thanked loobab
  • 8 years ago

    The tile around the fireplace is a problem for me. It's not very interesting but it's a focal point and makes the room look smaller than it is. I would also add color to the walls - maybe a light blue or yellow. Love your furniture.


  • PRO
    8 years ago

    A hide away TV cabinet and bookcases on either side of the fireplace could distract from the tile wall. And filling up the empty space with cottage accents and warm colors will make it feel more cozy.


    English Cottage with a Hamptons Inspired Exterior · More Info


    English Farmhouse · More Info

    plevels thanked Kitchen & Bath Galleria