Software
Houzz Logo Print
shark425

need help finishing living/ dining room

8 years ago
Hello!

I’m looking to finishing making a few adjustments with my living room dining room. I live in a 1 bedroom co op so this room is my entire living space except kitchen & bedroom.

-lamps should I rearrange? The lamp to the right of the tv does it work? Should I get a white shade?

-I want a new stand for the tv. The current one is 24” tall and 60” wide. I would like something that looks more like a dresser and less like an entertainment center. Do you think 30” high is too tall? I have zero attachment to the round end table and if the new tv stand is larger I can get rid of it.

- I HATE that ottoman. I want a new one under $150 and I can’t find one I like

-the chair with the blanket, eventually i want to reupholster it, for now I’m going to leave the blanket

-the blank wall by the table, should I leave it blank? It seems empty to me

Thank you!

Comments (25)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    The round table right of the TV is not working and says 1950's Early American style to me. Replace it and the lamp with a new floor lamp and white shade. Your TV stand is the correct size and height for the TV placement. If you're tired of it, consider a new coat of paint for a refresh in a favorite color. The ottoman can go to the curb. You can buy a chair for less than $200, and upholstering that chair will cost a lot more. Ready made slipcover might work for you. The main issue I see is the overload of photos on the shelf, and you need to rework the grouping in the dining area. I'll let you keep the shelf if you love it, but remove the art left of it and all the small cluttery items in front of the main big photos. In the dining room, your group of prints needs editing. I would put the art from the sofa there (centered 5' above the floor.) Then I would use all but the middle three to make an arrangement behind the sofa and above the sofa table. Use the light ones with the gold frames. The ones with the dark background can go in a bright area of your home. Try the large one centered 5' above the floor and the other two flanking it.

  • 8 years ago

    Would you be open to hanging the TV on the wall and getting rid of the shelf? Perhaps going with a gallery wall incorporated with the TV on the wall? Your furniture is dark. Do you like this feel or would you be open to going with a lighter colored TV console to get some contrast in the room. What is your budget for the console?


  • 8 years ago
    Tedbixby. Thank you. I love the photo you posted. I’ll spend up to $2k if i love it and it as a lot of storage- and is good quality. I love the idea of a lighter piece. I also would love a vintage piece too as I feel unless you spend a lot of money a lot of wood furniture on the market isn’t that good of quality.

    In regards to the previous poster and the gallery wall behind my table, it’s one of my favorite parts of my apartment. As I said this is my main room, there’s no place else to relocate those pieces. They are all food & dining art too. I agree with editing the shelf about the tv and loosing the table & lamp.

    I love the chair with the blanket on it. I also may make a custom slipcover for it. I don’t want to replace it with a $200 chair because in my experience chairs for $200 aren’t the best quality
  • 8 years ago
    You have done well, cosy
  • 8 years ago

    Sarah- have you spent anytime looking for a vintage piece? Just wondering what stage you are at this point in your search?

  • 8 years ago
    Tedbixby. A little, I live in the NYC area so have a lot of options. I’m mainly unsure of what size and scale would work best. I would love a sideboard or dresser for more storage.
  • 8 years ago

    I wouldn't go too much bigger on the console. Longer maybe, but not taller. Find something with closed storage (without glass) to cut down on the clutter-y feeling.

    I would take everything off the shelf that you don't absolutely love, then post a picture of what's left and we can help you arrange it. You may be able to arrange more pieces behind the couch.

    For the ottoman, that one looks like it has storage. Do you want another one with storage or just something to rest your feet on?

  • 8 years ago

    This should give you some guidance

    https://www.wayfair.com/ideas-and-advice/how-to-measure-for-a-tv-stand-S4524.html

    I think you have to think about what you plan to do with the wall above it, too. Hang the tv or not? If so, you could go wider. And would anything else go on this wall that could affect the width?

    I see you have a lot of photos in your ideabooks but I'm not seeing any photos that pertain to ideas for this wall. Maybe spend some time looking through houzz and gathering ideas.

    I'd start with your focus on finding the TV "console" first and then go from there. Your budget is quite generous for this piece so I think you could find some decent new if you can't find vintage. I've got a few brands in mind I'm going to go look and see if there is anything that would fit the bill.

  • 8 years ago


    https://www.arhaus.com/furniture/vintage/vintage-inspired-furniture/

    This piece might be too wide and exposed shelving? This is from Four Hands and can be purchased through other places, too. https://www.highfashionhome.com/camila-sideboard.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI1K7J0I-B2gIVWLXACh3jDwu1EAQYASABEgKNKPD_BwE

    I'd also look through ebay. Though I don't know if delivery to your place could be an issue. Look at Ethan Allen as you may come across something vintage that would compliment your dining set. I've bought a few furniture pieces from Ebay and have been very happy with my purchases.

  • 8 years ago
    Remove the shelf, and actually hang the art: at the moment, it’s more clutter than art. Beef up the lamps, and find a replacement for the “colonial” round table. The room has a lot going for it, so fine-tune it. It you wall mount the TV, keep it at the current height.
  • 8 years ago
    There’s so much I love in your room: that rug!!, your chairs, and I really like your dining room artwork. Take out the shelf over the tv, and I’d hang your tv on the wall. I think you could even raise it just a smidge personally. I love the idea of a vintage tv console storage unit. Get rid of the round table and ottoman. Your curtains and plant and so much about your room is really cozy and inviting. Hang your tv and then decide on your artwork. I like to have spaces where my eyes can rest rather than wall decor overload. If you have favorite pieces on that shelf maybe find a place to rotate them in and out rather than display everything all at once. Hope that helps!
  • 8 years ago
    Find a tall plant to replace that table in the corner!
  • 8 years ago
    I think some new lamps on a new vintage console would look nice in your space. Lose all the artwork. You could mount lighting on wall or put on console if it’s wide enough without overwhelming your space.
  • 8 years ago
    I keep thinking about your space! I actually like the blank wall in the dining room but if it feels empty to you, what about a hanging plant or two either in the corner or over behind your lamp by the sofa close to the dining room but not where you’ll bump into it? I love plants and think they can really soften a space.
  • 8 years ago
    A large ottoman to replace the coffee table. A large tray would accommodate a serving space on the ottoman for yorself or if entertaining.
  • 8 years ago
    I agree with you, I like your art arrangement over your dining table, but I think you could use something with brighter colors above your couch.
    Looks like you're on the right track with the changes you have planned.
    An ottoman with storage in place of your coffee table would be great.
  • 8 years ago

    Well, you asked for it... and I love rearranging furniture. When I was a teen I used to rearrange my parent's living room while they were at work. My wonderful Mom never batted an eye. So, if you left me to it, here's what I'd do... Move table behind sofa to under window to hold some smaller plants and your pretty glass items. A small bench (ottoman) would fit under it. Donate the big plant to someone. Sofa can be pushed back to wall, opening up the space a little. Move the big picture from the sofa wall to the empty wall in the dinning room. Do something to disguise the brown electric cord plugged into that wall, maybe a white extension cord with a flat plug and Command Clear Flat Cord Clips. Now, move shelf from TV wall to the wall over the sofa. Keep all your treasures on it, as you probably love them all. Now mount TV to the wall over a new console if you choose, and have fun decorating the wall around the TV. Good ideas here and all over the net. Search "decorate wall behind TV" and be amazed! Here are a few pics...

    Hope you'll show pics when you've finished your room!

  • 8 years ago
    I would move some of the photos from the shelf above the TV to the empty wall by the dining table. Then, I think the TV stand you have now is nice, but if you want a more dresser style one, opt for an IKEA dresser. They're super simplistic, cheap, and usually come in lots of finishes. I would get a new lampshade, either white to contrast with your dark furniture, or patterned to brighten up the space. I would also suggest getting some house plants! They really soften up a space
  • 8 years ago
    Also, the ottoman wouldn't be too bad if you make other changes. If you can't stand it though, like I said, IKEA is super cute and cheap, plus it has lots of options. Hope I helped!
  • 8 years ago

    kathyloo has some good ideas. When I see your room pictures, I think..."oh my" so much furniture in one room. I would take all the pictures and the shelf off the TV wall...the TV is your attraction on that wall. If you want a new entertainment console with drawers....get one and if it is longer than the one you have, that would be good. I see no need to decorate that wall at all. I would take the table out from behind the couch and put it in front of the window like kathyloo mentioned....small stools can go under it for extra seating. Your corner round table and lamp can go some where else. I would exchange chairs....grey one where the slip covered one is. A floor lamp by one of the chairs and a matching one at the end of your couch. Love your rug.

  • 8 years ago
    I love your room! It looks comfortable and unique—like someone interesting lives there.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Maybe a TV console/dresser like this would work for you?

    Austin Master Suite · More Info

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you everyone for your comments. Finally got a chance to do some rearranging. I removed a few pieces from the shelf above the tv but can do more. Let me know your thoughts!
  • 8 years ago

    I like the console table location much better. Less crowded around the couch. I do like kathyloo's idea to move the art shelf behind the couch. It feels cluttered above the TV, but I think it would be perfect over the couch.