0

Let’s share some progress and positivity!!

dtrivino
April 3, 2018
last modified: April 5, 2018

Hi fellow houzzers! Happy April!

I thought it woukd be fun fun to share some progress with each other and offer encouragement and positivity to those of us currently going through kitchen renovations (big or small)!

So take a second to snap a photo of your favorite bit of progress in your kitchen! Could be as simple as new knobs/pulls or as complex as your full finished job!!

Best of luck to everyone going through renovations and cheers to spring!!

Here is my happy progress photo!! My pulls finally going in!! Opening drawers without them has been a royal pain in the arse!

Comments (2.7K)
  • Stacy Reynolds-Krynski

@stillpitpat..Love your kitchen! yay!

Beth H. :

stillpitpat...looks so good. love the flooring and the back painted glass.

will the vent hood stay like that? the wood behind the wreath? or is something else happening there?

• stillpitpat

Oh lord, the hood "cabinet." I was supposed to have a bit of an inset shelf there, but apparently we were all playing telephone and all had different ideas. Toward the end of the last round of work (3 weeks ago?) the designer, GC, and I met to figure it out. What I thought could be done could not, but we worked something out. Apparently that was not communicated well to the carpenter, because we just got that wood panel set back about an inch. Sigh. I would be OK with it if I could find something to mount up there (there is one Marimekko platter that would be great except it's too small). I talked to the designer and GC again today, although not together, unfortunately. They are still going to try to do a shelf. I told them that I would also be OK with getting another pair of (false) doors and forgoing the whole shelf, but they think they can make it work. We'll see. For the time being, it's fine b/c of the wreath, but I don't actually want a space where I mount something seasonal, and I really can't find anything I want to keep up there forever.

• Helen

It was an expensive afternoon as I had lots of progress payments due as well as paying for the fabric and fabrication of my window treatments.

As soon as my designer took out this fabric for my living room area, I knew I had to have it. It's a velvet but very draped - i.e. thin. I didn't realize it was velvet until I stroked it.

It's a reworking of a turn of a twentieth century design - a bit Art Nouveau - a bit of a Chinoiserie feel and it has copper accents which pick up the copper from the dining area and kitchen which are visible to complement and tie things together.

This is the "blurb"

Inspired by the work of French furniture designer Louis Majorelle, this pattern has been skillfully reworked from a turn of the century archive. The original, nature inspired print has been carefully redrawn and then screen printed onto sumptuous velvet in layers of deep ink shades and metallic tones. The subtle lustre of the metallic pigment, paired with the jewelled colours of the modal ground, brings this decadent 20th century document back to life.

• traci_from_seattle

Helen that fabric is beautiful!

• traci_from_seattle

I have a mantle! I haven’t had one in years and I love how it turned out. The photo isn’t great, and my candles don’t show up well either but we’ve lost power tonight due to a wind storm so this is the best I can do.

• pink_peony

Lovely Traci. Is that a TV cabinet above it?

• Helen

@traci - What a lovely combination of beautiful tile work and wood. What is in the cabinet?

• traci_from_seattle

The cabinets will be for storage, once I find the misplaced shelves. It was one of those very deep niches meant for an older TV and I was just going to have the cabinet maker put doors on it but instead he built an entire cabinet to fit inside. (Ignore the flooring/hearth...that’s the next to replace)

Before

After

• Helen

That was an ingenious use of space.

Some of the choices that haunted me were those in which I had to commit to customization of storage options. On the one hand, it's great to have storage which works exactly right for one's unique needs. On the other, one worries about when things change - like all the television built ins that were rendered obsolete by larger wide screen sets. Of course, I also tell myself that I am at a stage of life when it is unlikely that I will need to figure out a new wave of technological or storage issues :-).

Renov8or

Hi All, I'm going to make a separate post for IKEA + Scherr's peeps, but I wanted to share some progress with this group now that I finally have some progress to report. First off, catching up:

dtrivino; Love the holiday decor! And your DIY work is certainly paying off. The white looks wonderful.

Traci-from-seattle: your walnut cabinets are just gorgeous. Though, I’m almost more envious of your running water. (So. Tired. Of. Cleaning. Dishes. In the Bathroom.)

Janet: Your kitchen is beautiful. That's my favorite shade of green, and I love how your peninsula turned out. I love that it has legs and has the look and feel of furniture.

Stillpitpat, Your pendant is a beautiful finishing touch. Do you have a photo of it installed yet? I think it’s going to pull in the colors of the floor and backsplash beautfully.

Now, for some photos. We are seven weeks into this kitchen renovation that kicked off October 22. Many many things happened and compromises were made.

1. The wall came down, but then part of it went back up again— because certain pipes that affect the whole building couldn't be moved. (My dream hits NYC co-op board reality.)

2. I had to return my beloved Thermador wall oven stack because it's a 50-amp appliance and this building hasn't done an electrical upgrade in years (home inspectors weren't able to see the power room). An upgrade is planned for three years from now, so I had the electrician do everything to upgrade my panel and the wiring in my walls so that we're ready to take advantage when the building finally runs new lines and more power up from the basement.

3. When the wall went back up I quickly redesigned. The island became a peninsula and it all shifted toward the east wall. I reissued new designs and posted them all over the job site, but the guys didn't follow the island changes. I noticed after the rough-ins and floor, so some things had to be redone. I stood my ground on this one.

4. Custom lighting came in and the pendants were the wrong finish—rubbed bronze instead of brass and that just won't work for this kitchen. The restocking fee was going to be 2/3 what I paid for them. Luckily a dear friend is married to a guy in the lighting biz and he's re-dipping them for me in antique brass at no charge. He's slipping them in with another big order they have. Bless. His. Soul. (I sent them the most decadent cheese and charcuterie basket I could find.)

5. We had a bad moment when the carpenter told me the Liebherr integrated fridge was going to stick out an inch. What!? No Way! I had done so much research and read a mountain of appliance specs and I knew better. Turns out he thought he'd need to leave ventilation room in the back. No, the Liebherr ventilates from the front, thank you. It pays to know your specs.

So, where we are now: All the IKEA cabinet boxes are installed and Scherr's gorgeous custom solid maple shaker doors (painted Sherwin Williams Extra White) have been installed, all except for those that I held off ordering until we had absolutely accurate measurements (wall oven and over fridge cabinets), appliances are in (but not hooked up yet), Quartz counters are halfway installed (the waterfall was mismeasured so they're coming back Monday). Second cabinet door order is in and will come in second week of January.

This week: Quartz counters will be complete, marble slab backsplash will be installed, plumber will hook up appliances, we can move out of the temporary kitchen while they work on the dining room.

Photo bomb pending:

Renov8or

And a few more...

And here's where I marked with the marble fabricator for where the cuts will be made to the marble slab backsplash.

We're bookmatching over the cooktop and over the sink run.

• pink_peony

Renov8or that looks incredible! What is going to happen with the pipe stack to the left of window? What hardware is going on the cabinets? That is a large kitchen for a NY apt!

Renov8or

Hi pink_peony - the riser pipe will get wrapped in Sisal rope.

The hardware on the cabinets is a low-profile edge pull in white. They're already installed, but they sort of disappear into the color of the cabinets.

I didn't want to detract from the other brass things that are coming — the pendants (which are at the fabricators right now), faucets, and picture ledge, which will perch above the marble backsplash and run the length of the sink run wall.

I felt like brass hardware might just take it over the edge but no other finish would really work, so I went with white.

• Helen

Great use of space. What was the original footprint - did you build into the dining area?

Renov8or

Thank you, Helen. Originally there was a cramped galley kitchen on a raised platform along with an adjacent dining area. We made the whole thing kitchen.

There was an entry foyer. I had a cute mod settee there and a nice painting, but really it was wasted space and in NYC that's just crazy talk. So we've turned that into a dining area. Here are some snaps that might illustrate:

• hutchae84

I still love checking back on this thread. All your kitchens are looking so beautiful and unique!

Helen-thanks for the heads up on those two shade providers. Our goal is to order our Roman shades for the living/dining area next week but there are so many windows (9!) and drapery is so expensive!

We finally got a banquette table. The space definitely needs some art and textiles because it is looking very white. would you center art over the table or on the wall? I'm thinking one large scale piece might be best?

• hutchae84
    Reno-I am jealous of all that storage. You will love those refrigerator drawers, I wish we had the space for them.
  • pink_peony

hutch I would center one large art piece on the wall.

Beth H. :

hutch, I love those banquettes! I have a bunch of pics so you can see what might work best for you.

I know I'd prob do some window blinds (inset) with a bit of color or pattern, as well as some bench cushions. Then I'd do some cool artwork, or I might go crazy w/tile like Addison did here

or this one:

in these others, look at how color is used, window treatments, artwork, cushions and pillows. You have a great space and could do a few, or all of these.

• hutchae84
    Beth-so many great inspo pics! I really like the idea of doing something graphic and big like the "Hamburger" picture. I agree I need some textiles in there like cushions and Roman shades as well. Cushions are a little tricky because of sizing but I have been looking on Etsy for something that is customized.
  • Helen

Greetings of the season - Thread so quiet is because energies have gone towards other projects in the past week or so :-).

I am lurching towards completion - my hood and the rest of the uppers were installed and theoretically I almost have completed electricity such that I can have a final inspection. I say "theoretically" because there was some work done on the under cabinet lighting (low voltage I was told) which the inspector wanted to inspect before signing off and yesterday when I went to reheat my takeout in the microwave, I blew a circuit - not sure if they are related but obviously something wrong with electricity as the microwave and the kitchen lights were the only things on at that time.

My stripper pole television unit wall divider was installed mostly yesterday and they come back today to finish it off. There remain some interior shelves and finishes like trash pull out and knife holder as well as the sides of the refrigerator that need to be covered but I might have light at the end of the tunnel in terms of finishing the woodwork.

Yesterday was pretty hellish as I generally have at least one small haven to escape the madness. I had deliberately scheduled lunch with a friend and when I got back at about 2 it was lot Night At The Opera with someone working on the hood; my designer; my GC; someone working on door knobs and the cabinet maker and his son/apprentice working on the room divider. Literally NO PLACE in my unit where no one was working. And then I was at least able to sit and my GC who is a lovely man but voluble proceeded to engage me in conversation while the whirring and banging took place 3 feet away. He speaks very quickly with a pronounced accent and I often don't understand what he is saying but just nod and smile and interject a really or wow at what seems to be the pertinent times :-) I thought my head was going to explode :-(

On the negative side, my beautiful wood floor has been scratched and there are some areas in which there are small gouges. I will point that out and see what the solution is. I don't know what is reasonable under the circumstances - it's light wood and it's the kind of scratches you see when the light hits it but which one probably would get in a year or so of normal wear and tear.

My interior door knobs were installed and although they look lovely they are extremely hard to turn. I am not sure what the issue is. In terms of my life, not a big issue since I live alone and don't shut doors but I am assuming that door knobs should rotate without a lot of force necessary.

Anyway they are back again today for more hours or banging and whirring.

• Stacy Reynolds-Krynski

@hutchae..love the banquette! and the idea of big art that beth mentioned.,,Also, I bought my roman shades from blinds.com and had really good service from them,.@helen Lol your tv "stripper pole"..

• Laura Mac

Wow, so much wonderful progress by all of you!!! Looking beautiful!

@Renov8or, wow, gorgeous marble! Can't want to see that beauty installed in your LARGE gorgeous kitchen! So you are doing quartz counters with marble splash? What quartz did you choose?

@Hutchae, love your banquette! Would you consider a fun wallpaper on the entire wall and surround, with some beautiful color cushions and shades? Since you have little one's, I'd do something in leather or pleather so it's easy to clean and wipe down (like the one Beth showed with the big hamburger artwork). You can search for upholsterers in your neighborhood, buy the pleather/Sunbrella fabric and have them make something custom and comfy (great for homework and messy projects). You have unlimited potential!

@Helen, I sure can't wait to see pics of your place! It seems to be coming along beautifully!

@stillpitpat - tell me again where you got those slabs of 'glass' or are they acrylic, or? I just LOVE that splash! So beautiful!

@traci, love your tile work and the colors...so pretty!

Happy New Year everyone!!!

• Stacy Reynolds-Krynski

Happy New years to All!

• Cheryl Hannebauer

Update; Dec 20th , we had a wind storm which took out the power on the whole island; during this storm a large fir tree fell on to our pumphouse; this is where the main panel feed is for the house & shop. it has been a busy time for hubby, removing of the tree, removing the damage to the pumphouse, rebuilding/fixing for a temp fix so we could get power back, which took 9 days.We went out on day 3 & purchased a new honda generator as hubby could not get our other one to start. most of the island was with out power for 4 days, our neighbour hood it was 8, we were one of the last areas to get power & then it took our electrican a few days of works to get things right here. The Living room furniture arrived on Dec 22nd in the evening & in the dark, The vendor unloaded it in to the hosue with the use of flashlights everywhere. For our occupancy permit, we are waiting on the house electricans to come back & finish up, then hubby & chris(our worker) will work on the rails for the stairs & office & the outside stair/railings to the front door. Our worker was supposed to ccome this am, but he called at 850 & said he couldn't come :( - I hope this is only because it is NYeve & his gf prob wanted to go to "town".. We shall see.. I have posted a few photos under idea books, new build gabe, for those who want to go look. I will now be shopping for new lamps for LR, area rug & blinds for the master bedroom & master bath.

https://www.houzz.com/photo/135362317-new-build-gabe

https://www.houzz.com/photo/135362305-new-build-gabe

~~Happy New Year to all~~

• pink_peony

It has been quiet here and i have to admit that i often forget to post on this thread since i post on my own thread with all my going on and such. if i don’t get a notification I assume it’s quiet but then discover more times than not it’s just Houzz not working at 100%.

Helen hopefully you can share photos soon.

Beth H. :

Cheryl, this will make for a good story 20 years from now! Hang in there. Just imagine it's 1918 on your island!

• traci_from_seattle

I have a dishwasher again! It’s been 7 weeks without and I am tired of hand washing plus, these dishwasher drawers are so impressive! The capacity seems good in each drawer and they’re well made. I don’t have much room to open a standard dishwasher door so I’m hoping these drawers will be very functional. (And yes, I still need flooring and backsplash/under cabinet lighting)

• Helen

Light at the end of the tunnel as my final electrical inspection is scheduled for Thursday so Kitchen is complete and I can start dealing with the 100 or so boxes that I packed up and put into storage. That’s overwhelming in terms of making final decisions about how to set up and what to keep.

Here is a picture of the wall with the hood and cooktop. I am still using paper plates, plastic cutlery and eating takeout because everything is still packed up and I literally don’t have a pot as nothing I owned will work on induction. And I have put off reading all the instruction manuals anyway.

Beth H. :

Helen, it turned out beautifully. that blue and copper is so pretty.

• missenigma

One word: Majestic!

• traci_from_seattle

Helen, it looks amazing! I hope the inspection goes well and you can move your items back in and start cooking again.

• Cheryl Hannebauer

Helen; it looks fantastic :)

• Laura Mac

Beautiful Helen! Congratulations! Just get rid of the old, don't even look, and donate it. Get a few new pans. They are not that expensive....

• pink_peony

Incredible Helen. Love the blue tile. If there is any hesitation or doubt about an item as far as keeping it or not , don’t. I’ve learned the hard way after moving twice within a 8 month span. I kept all the things i wasn’t sure about and packed them and stored them for 8 months. Then upon moving into the new build i had a whole lot of stuff i should have just ditched. The reality being the only things i really kept besides family photos were the items i missed having daily during that 8 month period. Another reality being that after 30 years i really wanted new things for my kitchen and home . I didn’t want the huge stainless steel colander anymore i wanted the big collapsible one that fit over the sink LOL! The one i could collapse and store easily that doesn’t take up the space in the cabinet the other one did. For what it’s worth I finally have been investing in new cookware (after 30 years) and decided on All-Clad and i couldn’t be more thrilled. The ease of use and cleanup and cooking has been brilliant. In fact my mother in law came for Christmas and i ran to Ikea and bought a couple cheap pans and hid my all-Clad because i was so afraid of her ruining them. They are my babies.

• Helen

Thanks everyone - fingers crossed as inspection is tomorrow and then (twirling mustache) I can put up my non-LED compliant chandeliers.

My problem isn't really so much with functional stuff but I was a collector of stuff for many years and also my mother and grandmother so I have amassed stuff that has value but no interest to me. So trying to figure out whether the value of an item is enough to warrant attempting to sell versus donate has caused me to continue kicking the ball (or the vintage item) down the road.

• pink_peony

Helen i totally get that too. I have a darn valuable rug from my moTher in law that has been a thorn in my side for years. Plus a collection of Lladro figurines that we’re my mother’s (she loved those things) that probably don’t have any huge value but they were hers and a collection of tea cups and saucers that were hers too. Those i have left boxed up and stored in the attic. The rug........well we would sell it if we knew how.

• Cheryl Hannebauer

Agree>>> I have a shop full of things that I should gotten rid of, so when the weather gets nicer I will be down there going through all the "stuff"... Not looking forward to that job.

• Helen

Passed electrical except that the box for the cabinet lighting had to be changed so no one can poke their finger into the box. At least that’s what I understand. Now there is the final final inspection. Are all remodels subject to such intensive inspection. I’m not trying to cut corners but it’s been quite the marathon.

Still not sure of how to operate anything. There was one light left on in the kitchen and I didn’t realize it was on a certain switch so I had to wait until the GC came to show me. It’s very disorienting and I still haven’t use my appliances because reading all the manuals seems overwhelming and I am a read the manual kind of gal.

Some things I would have done differently like not getting a French Door refrigerator because a single door would have been better in my space.

Some things I really love. I used laminar panels for my interior doors on the advice of my designer who said they would lighten it up and she was right. They are totally opaque even with the light on. Not even a shadow.

I got vintage knobs from Liz’s Hardware and had them played an antique bronze copper. Not lever but I can still handle a knob and since I live alone I don’t shut bedroom or bathroom doors anyway and presumably any visitors will be able to handle the knob in the guest bath.

• Laura Mac

Helen, great idea on those panels in your interior doors for light!

• Helen

And another ridiculous Code requirement - if you notice to the right of the second door is a gray panel. That is the access panel for the shower valves and it must be GRAY to pass inspection. It can't be painted or hidden. I have a similar large gray panel on the opposite wall which is the electrical panel.

So after final final inspection, the gray panels can be painted the same wall color to blend.

That's pretty insane - are they worried that a homeowner wouldn't be able to tell where a panel was? Even painted wall color they are still going to be fairly obvious.

Renov8or

Love those doors, Helen. Beautiful!

Renov8or

TRaci, your kitchen is gorgeous. I'm at the same stage, finally with dishwasher. I feel human again.

• Stacy Reynolds-Krynski

love the job my BF did on my wine bottle chandelier just finished last night

• Helen

And a lava lamp as well :-)

• crimson525

hi everyone. hope you all had a wonderful holiday. we survived it but it was tough. im finally having our bkfast bar wall finished next week---simple shaker molding to match the cabinets.
    Now---i had an idea to put a faux wood bean across the top. have it match the wood floor and tie into shelves. comments??