0

Let’s share some progress and positivity!!

dtrivino
April 3, 2018
last modified: April 5, 2018

Hi fellow houzzers! Happy April!

I thought it woukd be fun fun to share some progress with each other and offer encouragement and positivity to those of us currently going through kitchen renovations (big or small)!

So take a second to snap a photo of your favorite bit of progress in your kitchen! Could be as simple as new knobs/pulls or as complex as your full finished job!!

Best of luck to everyone going through renovations and cheers to spring!!

Here is my happy progress photo!! My pulls finally going in!! Opening drawers without them has been a royal pain in the arse!

Comments (2.6K)
  • hutchae84
    pink-those chairs are beautiful! I love your tree too. mine looks like I have a whole bunch of toddlers living with me (all the ornaments are at the top)

traci-those counters are beautiful and I love the pulls you used.

We finally ordered a bed frame and banquette table. bed frame has come a day banquette table comes next Thursday, just in time for our Christmas party. I'm still on the lookout for a bar but found a vintage Drexel I am considering.
  • pink_peony

Thanks Hurch :-)

• Stacy Reynolds-Krynski

Hello everyone..
    my kitchen is done!
    just have a few minor things to finish up, but at least I can start decorating this week

• stillpitpat

Wow, Traci, those counters are a work of art! Amazing! And Pink, I love your room. The coffee table is perfect. Helen, I am hoping for a speedy resolution for you. It must be hard waiting for all of this and having chaos in your house.

I *think* we will get mostly wrapped up this week. Contractor is getting to work on the punchlist (tomorrow?) and the backsplash is supposed to be installed on Wed. Crossing fingers....

• Janet
    My peninsula was built today and all the cabinets finished! Just days until it’s all done now!
  • Helen

@Janet - That's what I thought when I moved back in on October 23 LOL.

I love the sage green of your cabinets.

• Janet
    @Helen, I hope that doesn’t mean that you are still waiting!
  • Janet
    Oh wait, I forgot, you ARE still waiting! I guess the bigger the project, the more there is to go wrong. Sorry!
  • Helen

Ha ha - It really was specific to the kitchen cabinets which theoretically could have been finished weeks ago but somewhat like the old children's tale, for loss of a nail a kingdom was lost :-). In my case, the hood was off by and inch and had to be remade - because of that the cabinets on either side couldn't be installed - nor the backsplash there - and the electrical work couldn't be finished because the inspector wanted to see THAT stuff - and the cabinet maker didn't complete the interior of the cabinets so I couldn't pack things away and really didn't until I saw the totality.

And because the electrical wasn't completely inspected, the washer and dryer couldn't be inspected so they still stand in a clump in the middle of my living room in disguised boxes with the hood along with other miscellaneous hardware like the baskets for my showers - but no toilet paper holders because of the saga of the embezzling grandson :-).

• Janet
    @Helen That made me laugh out loud, sad as it is. All would be well but for an inch and an embellisher!
  • suseyb

Do any of you know if putting a rolling desk chair on vinyl plank will damage it? We are putting furniture back in the rooms that have the plank installed, and I'm not sure about the rolling chairs.

The install is going slower than I had anticipated, but it's going really well. It looks so good, and feels awesome. I can tell it's vinyl when the light hits it a certain way, but it looks like wood the majority of the time. It does show some smudging, but it's easily remedied with a damp mop. I figure that won't bother me after a couple of weeks. ;) The tone we chose hides dirt really well, which is awesome for a large family!

We started on the master bedroom yesterday, and quickly discovered that we won't be getting my dresser out of the room. We're not *quite* sure how the movers got the dresser into the room! We decided to let it sit and we'll floor the room, and then shift the dresser onto the floor as it's laid.

• Helen

@Suseyb - I am not sure about vinyl planks and desk chairs. I had asked my designer about how to handle my desk chair because my previous chair had done quite a bit of damage to the floors.

I then read reviews of the clear plastic sheets and evidently (at least from the reviews) they caused damage to floors but not carpets.

There are evidently casters that are specifically meant for either hard flooring or carpets - there is a difference - and so you can swap out the casters on your chair for ones that don't damage the surface.

I am not sure if this is applicable to vinyl plank versus wood but I would google a bit to find out before putting down those sheets. Those I think are more for office carpets because it's difficult to slide your chair on a carpeted surface and not meant to prevent damage to the floors. In fact, per my research they can cause damage - at least to wood floors.

• stillpitpat

Our pendant arrived today. So excited! Hope it goes in this week!

• Helen

@stillpitpat - What an unusual lovely pendant.

• Janet
    Autocorrect and not wearing me glasses... embezzler, not embellisher!
  • stillpitpat

The designer picked it out, and when she sent me the link, I wasn't impressed. Then she said she had a current client who had ordered it in case I wanted to see it in person, and I was amazed. I just loved it. And now I have my own. :)

• suseyb

We used these same rolling chairs on our bamboo floors, and it was ok. But, I knew that the house was going to be sold and then demolished, so keeping the floors pristine wasn't my end goal. Probably isn't my end goal now, but I want to minimize scratching, at least until the newness wears off. The good news is that I can't even see the scratches with this color.

• traci_from_seattle

stillpitpat that pendant is gorgeous! Today was a frustrating remodel day. Painters used the wrong paint in the kitchen and had to repaint. I don’t love how the color looks but I’m going to live with it for awhile. Dishwasher couldn’t be installed because plumbing wasn’t complete (they wouldn’t install if they couldn’t test) and it’s the wrong size...I have to reorder the shorter unit. Very frustrating. But, the tile on fireplace, laundry, and dining all look great. Grouting tomorrow.

• stillpitpat

wow, Traci, that all looks amazing! You must be thrilled!

• traci_from_seattle

I have running water again!!

Dishwasher, backsplash and flooring will all be done in January but everything else is wrapping up pretty well.

• suseyb

Running water is awesome!

We managed to muck up the dishwasher when we moved it to install the flooring, When the GE appliance repairman was here today to look at my range, I mentioned it to him, and he fixed it right up. I didn't think the oven in the range was heating as it should, but it's within 40 DEGREES of what it's set at, so I guess that makes it ok.

• stillpitpat

The glass guy is coming in an hour and a half to install our backsplash. Now I just have to remove EVERYTHING from the counters. When he leaves, the contractor is coming back, I think with the carpenter, to (almost) finish the punch list.

Cross your fingers for no broken glass!!!

• Stacy Reynolds-Krynski

my BF is working on my wine bottle Chandelier I think he might get it done in time for my Christmas open house on Sunday

• Helen

Well my hood actually arrived yesterday - hopefully it is the right size so the hood insert can be finished. The cabinet maker and duct people are coming this morning - fingers crossed that there will actually be progress so the kitchen and other wood cabinets can be completed.

Then the backsplash on the portion can also be done - and perhaps a kitchen.

Of course I literally do not have a pot or pan that works on my new induction cooktop except for a fish poacher which I acquired in 2002 and have never used. :-).

• suseyb

@Helen - Do you have cast iron? It works beautifully on induction. I use a combination of cast iron, Le Creuset enameled cast iron, and all clad d5 pots and pans.

• Helen
    Right now I literally have nothing. I had some great stuff but it was Calphalon anodized aluminum which isn’t conductive so I gave everything away. I will start building up again. My issue with Creuset is that they are so heavy. I brought one of the Dutch ovens home when I was buying my food stuff after I got serious about cooking and even empty it was so heavy. I am leaning towards Allclad although I need to start reading reviews again as I remember that there are some less expensive fully clad lines that are supposed to be just as good. I don’t like sets because I don’t like the assortment they give you. Of course having written checks for all the astounding expenses of a remodel, allclad seems like a piffle of an expense LOL.

I’m getting window film to block the UV rays and then my shades can go up. A real lesson in pricing differential as I had three vendors in to quote. I almost choked when the 3m bid was $3500. So I found other local distributors for 3m and their bid was $2300. As my designer tactfully said, the expensive bid was from a Beverly Hills vendor. But the Avery Dennison bid is only $1800 and my designer recommends them as a quality line so no reason to spend even the extra $500 for the 3m brand. She also recommended qmotion over Hunter Douglas as providing equivalent quality for less.
  • stillpitpat

Woohoo!!! I love it!
    There was a dicey moment when they realized the guy who measured had made a mistake, but they were able to shear off a tiny portion of the panel in the corner with no problem.

• Helen

As dreaded, I was overly optimistic regarding scheduling.

The only thing accomplished today was that the hood was checked and it will fit the insert or vice versa and the wall was prepped for the cabinets to be installed. Quite frustrating as I was told that the cabinets wouldn't be installed until the hood was installed and now it is reversed and the hood will be installed AFTER the cabinets. Theoretically cabinets will be installed on Tuesday and then the hood and then the tile work will be completed.

And my embezzled drains showed up so that they can be installed and finished by the tile installer. I opted for the drains which are tiled so they appear almost invisible.

Fabric for the side panels for my window treatments have been ordered which is exciting.

And my box of Sees lollipops and two pounds of chocolate which I ordered as a treat for moi have arrived - No chaise for bon bon ingestion yet so I will have to make do with my bed :-).

• traci_from_seattle

Stillpipat, that backsplash is amazing! I love how it ties in your marmoleum.

• Stacy Reynolds-Krynski

@stillpitpat..Love your kitchen! yay!

Beth H. :

stillpitpat...looks so good. love the flooring and the back painted glass.

will the vent hood stay like that? the wood behind the wreath? or is something else happening there?

• stillpitpat

Oh lord, the hood "cabinet." I was supposed to have a bit of an inset shelf there, but apparently we were all playing telephone and all had different ideas. Toward the end of the last round of work (3 weeks ago?) the designer, GC, and I met to figure it out. What I thought could be done could not, but we worked something out. Apparently that was not communicated well to the carpenter, because we just got that wood panel set back about an inch. Sigh. I would be OK with it if I could find something to mount up there (there is one Marimekko platter that would be great except it's too small). I talked to the designer and GC again today, although not together, unfortunately. They are still going to try to do a shelf. I told them that I would also be OK with getting another pair of (false) doors and forgoing the whole shelf, but they think they can make it work. We'll see. For the time being, it's fine b/c of the wreath, but I don't actually want a space where I mount something seasonal, and I really can't find anything I want to keep up there forever.

• Helen

It was an expensive afternoon as I had lots of progress payments due as well as paying for the fabric and fabrication of my window treatments.

As soon as my designer took out this fabric for my living room area, I knew I had to have it. It's a velvet but very draped - i.e. thin. I didn't realize it was velvet until I stroked it.

It's a reworking of a turn of a twentieth century design - a bit Art Nouveau - a bit of a Chinoiserie feel and it has copper accents which pick up the copper from the dining area and kitchen which are visible to complement and tie things together.

This is the "blurb"

Inspired by the work of French furniture designer Louis Majorelle, this pattern has been skillfully reworked from a turn of the century archive. The original, nature inspired print has been carefully redrawn and then screen printed onto sumptuous velvet in layers of deep ink shades and metallic tones. The subtle lustre of the metallic pigment, paired with the jewelled colours of the modal ground, brings this decadent 20th century document back to life.

• traci_from_seattle

Helen that fabric is beautiful!

• traci_from_seattle

I have a mantle! I haven’t had one in years and I love how it turned out. The photo isn’t great, and my candles don’t show up well either but we’ve lost power tonight due to a wind storm so this is the best I can do.

• pink_peony

Lovely Traci. Is that a TV cabinet above it?

• Helen

@traci - What a lovely combination of beautiful tile work and wood. What is in the cabinet?

• traci_from_seattle

The cabinets will be for storage, once I find the misplaced shelves. It was one of those very deep niches meant for an older TV and I was just going to have the cabinet maker put doors on it but instead he built an entire cabinet to fit inside. (Ignore the flooring/hearth...that’s the next to replace)

Before

After

• Helen

That was an ingenious use of space.

Some of the choices that haunted me were those in which I had to commit to customization of storage options. On the one hand, it's great to have storage which works exactly right for one's unique needs. On the other, one worries about when things change - like all the television built ins that were rendered obsolete by larger wide screen sets. Of course, I also tell myself that I am at a stage of life when it is unlikely that I will need to figure out a new wave of technological or storage issues :-).

Renov8or

Hi All, I'm going to make a separate post for IKEA + Scherr's peeps, but I wanted to share some progress with this group now that I finally have some progress to report. First off, catching up:

dtrivino; Love the holiday decor! And your DIY work is certainly paying off. The white looks wonderful.

Traci-from-seattle: your walnut cabinets are just gorgeous. Though, I’m almost more envious of your running water. (So. Tired. Of. Cleaning. Dishes. In the Bathroom.)

Janet: Your kitchen is beautiful. That's my favorite shade of green, and I love how your peninsula turned out. I love that it has legs and has the look and feel of furniture.

Stillpitpat, Your pendant is a beautiful finishing touch. Do you have a photo of it installed yet? I think it’s going to pull in the colors of the floor and backsplash beautfully.

Now, for some photos. We are seven weeks into this kitchen renovation that kicked off October 22. Many many things happened and compromises were made.

1. The wall came down, but then part of it went back up again— because certain pipes that affect the whole building couldn't be moved. (My dream hits NYC co-op board reality.)

2. I had to return my beloved Thermador wall oven stack because it's a 50-amp appliance and this building hasn't done an electrical upgrade in years (home inspectors weren't able to see the power room). An upgrade is planned for three years from now, so I had the electrician do everything to upgrade my panel and the wiring in my walls so that we're ready to take advantage when the building finally runs new lines and more power up from the basement.

3. When the wall went back up I quickly redesigned. The island became a peninsula and it all shifted toward the east wall. I reissued new designs and posted them all over the job site, but the guys didn't follow the island changes. I noticed after the rough-ins and floor, so some things had to be redone. I stood my ground on this one.

4. Custom lighting came in and the pendants were the wrong finish—rubbed bronze instead of brass and that just won't work for this kitchen. The restocking fee was going to be 2/3 what I paid for them. Luckily a dear friend is married to a guy in the lighting biz and he's re-dipping them for me in antique brass at no charge. He's slipping them in with another big order they have. Bless. His. Soul. (I sent them the most decadent cheese and charcuterie basket I could find.)

5. We had a bad moment when the carpenter told me the Liebherr integrated fridge was going to stick out an inch. What!? No Way! I had done so much research and read a mountain of appliance specs and I knew better. Turns out he thought he'd need to leave ventilation room in the back. No, the Liebherr ventilates from the front, thank you. It pays to know your specs.

So, where we are now: All the IKEA cabinet boxes are installed and Scherr's gorgeous custom solid maple shaker doors (painted Sherwin Williams Extra White) have been installed, all except for those that I held off ordering until we had absolutely accurate measurements (wall oven and over fridge cabinets), appliances are in (but not hooked up yet), Quartz counters are halfway installed (the waterfall was mismeasured so they're coming back Monday). Second cabinet door order is in and will come in second week of January.

This week: Quartz counters will be complete, marble slab backsplash will be installed, plumber will hook up appliances, we can move out of the temporary kitchen while they work on the dining room.

Photo bomb pending:

Renov8or

And a few more...

And here's where I marked with the marble fabricator for where the cuts will be made to the marble slab backsplash.

We're bookmatching over the cooktop and over the sink run.

• pink_peony

Renov8or that looks incredible! What is going to happen with the pipe stack to the left of window? What hardware is going on the cabinets? That is a large kitchen for a NY apt!

Renov8or

Hi pink_peony - the riser pipe will get wrapped in Sisal rope.

The hardware on the cabinets is a low-profile edge pull in white. They're already installed, but they sort of disappear into the color of the cabinets.

I didn't want to detract from the other brass things that are coming — the pendants (which are at the fabricators right now), faucets, and picture ledge, which will perch above the marble backsplash and run the length of the sink run wall.

I felt like brass hardware might just take it over the edge but no other finish would really work, so I went with white.

• Helen

Great use of space. What was the original footprint - did you build into the dining area?

Renov8or

Thank you, Helen. Originally there was a cramped galley kitchen on a raised platform along with an adjacent dining area. We made the whole thing kitchen.

There was an entry foyer. I had a cute mod settee there and a nice painting, but really it was wasted space and in NYC that's just crazy talk. So we've turned that into a dining area. Here are some snaps that might illustrate:

• hutchae84

I still love checking back on this thread. All your kitchens are looking so beautiful and unique!

Helen-thanks for the heads up on those two shade providers. Our goal is to order our Roman shades for the living/dining area next week but there are so many windows (9!) and drapery is so expensive!

We finally got a banquette table. The space definitely needs some art and textiles because it is looking very white. would you center art over the table or on the wall? I'm thinking one large scale piece might be best?

• hutchae84
    Reno-I am jealous of all that storage. You will love those refrigerator drawers, I wish we had the space for them.
  • pink_peony

hutch I would center one large art piece on the wall.

Beth H. :

hutch, I love those banquettes! I have a bunch of pics so you can see what might work best for you.

I know I'd prob do some window blinds (inset) with a bit of color or pattern, as well as some bench cushions. Then I'd do some cool artwork, or I might go crazy w/tile like Addison did here

or this one:

in these others, look at how color is used, window treatments, artwork, cushions and pillows. You have a great space and could do a few, or all of these.

• hutchae84
    Beth-so many great inspo pics! I really like the idea of doing something graphic and big like the "Hamburger" picture. I agree I need some textiles in there like cushions and Roman shades as well. Cushions are a little tricky because of sizing but I have been looking on Etsy for something that is customized.

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)