Software
Houzz Logo Print
leamonzgirl

space behind couch

8 years ago
Our couch is pulled out to meet with the loveseat but that leaves about a 13 in space between it and the window. Should I keep the couch pulled out with nothing behind it it would I get some kind console table to behind it with a nice vase, planter, sculpture of some sort?

Also, which curtains should I use? Please IGNORE the sheet on the couch we sometimes cover it on the weekends since the kids are all over it lol

Any other advice welcome

Comments (31)

  • 8 years ago
    Hello! You have a great start in your room. I would make a few adjustments.
    Can you pull the rug back a bit so that the legs of the couches are on it? Or is it too small?
    Have you thought about getting more curtain panels for the Windows? I think they should match each other and be fuller. Once you've done that, you might not feel the need for anything behind the sofa.
    Do you have any lamps in the room? I don't see any in this photo. I might put a floor lamp in right hand corner behind sofa, and/or an end table with a lamp in the corner by the two couches' arms.
  • 8 years ago
    Thank you. I so plan on having matching drapes for sure but I couldn’t figure out which. I also want to change the pillows and will be getting a larger coffee table.

    I just couldn’t figure out this space behind the couch because of course the couch slides back and I have to adjust every day. (Which really isn’t a big deal but I just thought something shld maybe go there.
  • 8 years ago
    Hi, I have no lamps but a small one of the console table near the kitchen area. I was thinking a floor lamp wld be good. I definitely want end tables and something definitely in the corner where the brown box it. (Just some clothing)

    I have no idea what the end tables should look like because that space is so large where the couches meet. Even with an end table there will still be a lot of space in that corner. The other end table would be on the other side of the loveseat.

    So end table with table lamp or end table with floor lamp? Not sure

    And yes I can definitely put more curtain panels up.
  • 8 years ago

    Have you thought about switching the two? Love seat in front of window. A rectangular end table between the two with a table lamp...front legs of seating should rest on the carpet. Space is needed by the window so your panels don't get caught between the sofa and the window. If you switch the seating, you may have enough room for another end table at the other end of the love seat.

  • 8 years ago
    I have a lot of space on the other end of the loveseat currently. I have about 2 feet of space at minimum. I was thinking a square or rectangular coffee table and same with the end tables. I just didn’t know what to do with the extra space in the corner unless I just keep a plant there.
  • 8 years ago

    Do you like both pairs of curtains? If so, put the white in the middle of the yellow.

    I think you can do a 12" or 13" wide console behind the sofa. I would not spend a lot of money for it.

  • 8 years ago
    I saw some online and some on you tube that can easily be made. I would have wanted the top glass but a wooden top to kind of match the floor might work.
  • 8 years ago

    I agree with what most everyone has already said. How about a fabulous floor lamp, one that is thicker around the middle or one with a little table around the center? That should be adequate to fill up the space. Here are some I found on Houzz:

    ORE International 61" Polyresin Floor Lamp With Antique Bronze Finish 8008F · More Info

    1 Light Standard Bulb Floor Lamp in Poly Dark Rust · More Info
    Something similar to these floor lamps would fill the space without overcrowding it.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Without seeing the total space my recommendation is floor lamp in corner where plant is and have it be functional for lighting yet visually interesting as a piece of art work to harmonize the space. Or end table and lamp . Draperies as above in neutral and almost to the ceiling and full on the walls without artwork. Move the three decorative mirrors on wall vertically closer together on other wall where arrows indicate on photo above or other wall that makes sense. Add accent color in pillows and accessories as the yellow if you like this color.

  • 8 years ago
    Is there any reason why you can’t switch the couch and loveseat?....a picture covering the entire area would help in getting more pertinent suggestions
  • 8 years ago
    I chose this layout because the television stand is opposite the sofa. The space with the sofa seems larger so I just chose that place for the sofa.
  • 8 years ago

    following

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Back the couch up! There is no real need for it to meet the love seat. I would just leave space so that the curtains can float comfortably. I'd also group your art, you have one small maybe ceramic flower on the left side and two on the right put all three together to create a stronger statement. The yellow patterned curtains are nice, they establish an accent color and work with the art. I would simply get a second set for the other window. Think about other ways you can move that color through decorative accents around the room. The plant looks very tight in the corner. Maybe swap that out for a lamp and move the plant to the other side of the couch, maybe scooting the couch back will also allow it breathing room!

  • 8 years ago
    Definitely go with the golden yellow curtains, it adds a pop and emphasis of freshness and warmth in the room and goes really well, especially with the pillows
  • 8 years ago
    Gold or silver lamp? One lamp shakes or more than one?
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Silver, it's fresher and a better compliment to the palette you have working. I would go with one floor lamp (or table I can't tell if there is one under the plant) only on the right left side of the couch.

  • 8 years ago
    Okay. I Ike the idea of a floor lamp but I really want end tables to make the room look more together. I can definitely put a lamp on each table. So basically an end table on each side of the loveseat
  • 8 years ago
    Based solely on this one picture, I would get a floor lamp like these for the right side of the sofa, then a table and table lamp for between the sofa and love seat. But then I like light because I read a lot!
  • 8 years ago
    Pam P. mentioned switching both couches and I did. I like this so much better! As you can see I also got a bigger rug. I am now looking in Wayfair for a glass coffee table and finding the matching curtains.

    The space is filled so much better on the left side of the pic in the corner where that small silver table is. I guess the other end table can do there and it will look so much better. The silver table can go on the deck somewhere.

    Any other advice?
    Should I move the rug closer to the tv? What about the right side of the pic? The loveseat looks like it’s bare in its left side which is near the front door. What can go there?
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    You could add a small accent chair on the empty corner of the rug.


    GDF Studio Prescott Tub Design Club Chair, Yellow Green Fabric · More Info

    Is the rug centered in the room? It looks “off” side in the above photo.

  • 8 years ago
    No the rug isn’t centered. I have it pushed more towards the couches.

    And yes I do like this curtains. Curious, why stay away from geometrics and florals? Just your personal preference or is it something abt the room?
  • 8 years ago
    Home Depot has flat, square rubber thingies which go under your couch legs to keep it from sliding backward.
  • 8 years ago
    The furniture should not be pressed against the drapes. The drapes should match each other. The front legs of the furniture pieces should be ON the rug, but this rug is too small. You need at least the next larger size: another 2-3 feet in each direction. Try putting your sofa and loveseat in other locations (unless you are trying to keep the kids away from the windows).
    Please post a drawing of the room with measurements for some suggested furniture ideas from Houzzers. Include labels so we know what rooms adjoin the living room.
  • 8 years ago
    Can’t tell size of rug...it may look a little more balanced and centered to rotate it...lengthwise to the tv...if it is a rectangle
  • 8 years ago
    Here is an updated picture...
  • 8 years ago
    We have a new rug and I am shopping around for a table. Not sure if I want square or rectangle.

    Not far from the tv is open space is an entry way to walk into the kitchen and dining area.
    I am standing is on the stairs to get to the bed rooms. The wall opposite the sofa is a mirrored console table and large mirror.
  • 8 years ago

    You have big floral art work and geometric shapes in your rug and pillow. The trick to mixing patterns is to use different scale and shapes of pattern and not to repeat the same shape everywhere. Therefore, an allover pattern in a different scale is what would work best, like a paisley even. Or, you could just stick to a solid color yellow or a cream like the background of your rug if you like.

  • 8 years ago
    I noticed you mentioned that the couches slide- they have these large rubber squares that can go under the back sofa/loveseat legs so that it won’t slide anymore. They sell them on the same aisles that have the felt adhesive pieces to protect floors from chair leg scratches. They work great and I have four kiddos that flop on the couch, lol.
  • 8 years ago

    I've been reading through this, and I think you've done wonders with your room! If you want a pattern in your drapes, go for it. Just treat both windows the same way. I think the rug size is fine. your TV doesn't need to be sitting on it. Two VERY tiny adjustments, and you're "golden!" Move the cardboard box, and then either get an end table there and put the plant on top of it, or just pull the plant away from the corner a bit! I'd look for a narrower "space saver" end table for the other end of the loveseat. Possibly in a wood tone that complements your TV stand. Very nice work!