Software
Houzz Logo Print
jlkimber

help with furniture layout

8 years ago
Hi everyone,
We have been moving the furniture around in our family room to find the best layout. I would appreciate your thoughts on this layout and if you suggest changes. I have not accessorized the room yet as I want to do the furniture layout first. The tv needs to stay in that corner. The other pieces can be moved around. I have included pictures. This family room is open to the kitchen as you will see from the pictures. The ladder is where the table will be placed when it arrives. I have another picture to post but It will not let me add it so will post it abit later.
Thanks.

Comments (26)

  • 8 years ago
    The other pictures.
  • 8 years ago

    My suggestions: sofa on window wall, TV on wall opposite the window on a wider console at least 25% wider than the TV. Chairs facing the FP. Square art needs to go. Art over the FP is beautiful and should stand on its own. Are you planning on a rug?

  • 8 years ago

    I would put rug in this room. If you can't afford one now, go to World market, Home Good, T.J. Max. I would probably move the t.v. sand and t.v. over against that big blank wall. I would take each chair and put it on each side of the fireplace. Angle them facing the couch. I have done this myself and put an end table with legs between the chairs in front of the fireplace with books or objects. No lamps. It works. The picture over the fireplace and the picture off to the left of the fireplace do not balance the room. Take the one off to the left down. The room needs some life. I love your coffee table. Go to book stores or garage sales and find some big coffee table picture books. Better yet, find some that have meaning to you. Place a plant and a few other objects. Remove the leather footstool in front of couch. Room is too crowded. Place some little plants on each side of fireplace, etc. Again, pinterest fireplace mantel arrangements on pinterest and find a million ideas. Get one more set of colored pillows to go with the fur pillows on your couch now. Maybe a light gray or baby blue. I don't know your color preferences. Hope this helped. I love the little antique secretary. Not sure where that would work in there. Hard to tell unless I'm in your house.

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you. Are you suggesting removing the art over the wooden piece? Should I replace it with another type of art or just leave it blank. Also, the tv cannot be moved. We did try the couch on the left wall and the chairs across from the fireplace - not sure why we landed on this layout. I can try the other way again. Thanks.
  • 8 years ago

    I'm with Rina. Although I like jck's idea, you specifically said not to move the TV.

    With the TV in the corner, I like the sofa on the long wall and the chairs where the sofa is now.

    Nice house. congratulations.

  • 8 years ago
    Thanks. I could move the couch to the long wall. But for the chairs, if I move them to where the couch is now the cord from the lamp on the table would be trailing behind the chair. One set up we did try was having one chair where the couch is now, leaving the table where it is, and then having the other chair on the other side of the table (in front of the window). Hope this makes sense. Any thoughts?
  • 8 years ago
    Move the sofa back toward the kitchen so the seam between the wood flooring and the kitchen flooring does not show. That clash between dark and light flooring is the real problem here. Place a narrow sofa table behind the sofa. The TV is really too large for the corner where it is, but placing it across from the window is the only good location...and if anyone watches TV during the day, the blinds will have to be closed tightly so light is not reflected on the TV screen. The chairs would look fine in front of the windows.
  • 8 years ago
    Thanks. I will move the furniture around and repost. I cannot move the tv as all of the wires, etc. are in that wall.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    This layout eliminates the hurdle created by the sofa being placed across the entry to the room.

    Purchase the appropriate corner TV stand. There are many on the market.

  • 8 years ago
    This is very helpful - thank you so much. With the table between the chairs, should I put a lamp on that table and if so, just wondering about the cord as the outlet is on the wall. Also, what should I do with the leather ottoman that matches the couch? I see you have left my antique secretary where it is which is great. Do you think I should remove the picture that is above it? Thanks again.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    No lamp between the lounge chairs. The light in the corner is enough. Maybe add a floor lamp at the other end of the sofa. I have added the ottoman to the sofa

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you so much for your help. We will rearrange the room and post the picture.
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I truly think you should hire an electrician as part of your design budget and put the TV on the wall opposite the sliding widow and get a larger console.....the room looks squished into the fireplace wall because of all the dark tones in the room and you need some separation between pieces.....the cost is minor compared to what you have or will spend in the room and to move the wiring can be done by the dish company I believe.....just an opinion.

    Kid Friendly Family Room · More Info
    Just the TV on the fireplace wall, a light colored rug and lighter ottoman, lighter still chair and color blocked curtains and pillows in same colors......try moving the other items away from fireplace wall and call it good.

  • 8 years ago
    We rearranged the room and posted pictures. The coffee table does not seem to work in this arrangement.
  • 8 years ago

    Try turning the coffee table around and placing it in front of the two chairs, to act as the place for those people to use for their coffee or whatever. Yhen take the table between the two chairs and put it to the right of the sofa/chaise. Not sure it will work, but it might.

    Good night now from my side of the world.

  • 8 years ago

    Love it, much better! Maybe at some point change the coffee table to a larger upholstered one, similar to the ottoman but a large square. Then you could get rid of the small ottoman and use the new one for your feet!

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Try adding a rug to help ground the space. We recommend removing the piece of art over the piece of furniture to the left of the fireplace and then getting a big piece of art to put over the sofa now that it is on the wall facing the window.

    High-End Traditional Home: Family Room · More Info

  • 8 years ago
    Thanks everyone. I tried moving the coffee table over so that it is in front of the two chairs but then there is no room to place the end table next to the couch. I was thinking of moving the chairs so that one has its back to the kitchen and the other to the window. I could then place the end table between them. This might provide more space for the coffee table - I think. I will purchase art to place over the sofa. I was thinking of an area rug but maybe sometime down the road for this purchase. I am curious to understand removing the art that is over the antique secretary - is it too cluttered? Also, we recently purchased the tv and the stand so we will need to live with this.
  • 8 years ago
    Here is the other arrangement I described in my last post. Any comments? Thanks.
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I like the last layout, just get a rug.

  • 8 years ago

    I agree with Celerygirl -- a large rug will make the seating come together cohesively. The rug could be a bit shorter on "this" side than the mockup shows, in that you don't need to fit the chair in the middle entirely on the rug. You might play a bit with the angle of that chair -- a bit closer to the round table and slightly more angled to the couch?


  • 8 years ago

    Like the new arrangement! Celerygirl, can you link or tell me the name of the first rug, the blue one? I like it!

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago
  • 8 years ago
    Thanks everyone for the great information and help. I will keep this arrangement and start decorating the space.
  • 8 years ago

    Jo, please let us see pics when you are done. (Then we'll all tell you to move everything three inches to the right, because we can't help it, you know?)