Software
Houzz Logo Print
dillonainsworth

12x too much ironite... Help!!!

8 years ago

I'm an idiot and got carried away applying ironite today. Ended up putting a whole 15lb bag down on 400 sq ft.(5,000 sq ft coverage). I watered it in.

I was on Google later and realized how bad I messed up.

Is there anything I can do at this point?

What will happen?

Did I destroy my lawn?

Help!!!

Comments (15)

  • 8 years ago

    Do you live in an area that has alkaline soil ?

  • 8 years ago

    Yes where do you live? In my part of Texas I could pour Ironite on all day every day and nothing would happen. ...well, the snails would die and likely so would the fire ants.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I live in Washington State. It's in the 60's-70's currently. I decided to water it for a good hour that night to try and wash things down.

    It sucks that I need to wait to see if it hurts the lawn, like slow torture.

    I read every possible thing I could find online including that post about it possibly blackening with 2x too much.

    Couldn't find a single post online of anyone who did as much as I did (apparently everyone else reads and follows directions).

    Guess I'll post pics of the progress for information/entertainment.

    Day 2

    It may be a hair darker than Sunday but too early to see any real change so this'll be a starting point.

  • 8 years ago
    Definitely keep posting pictures! 10% information 90% entertainment, I'm super curious about what will happen!
  • 8 years ago

    You did what we would have recommended by heavy watering. Are you east or west of the mountains?

  • 8 years ago

    West... about 40 miles north of Portland

    Day 4 today and still no change

    If I see any change I'll post a picture.

    I think it will take 1-3 weeks for a color change to happen so I'm still waiting *fingers crossed*


  • 8 years ago

    Too late now, but with a lawn that small I would’ve just gone at it with a shop vac and tried to suck as much extra ironite up as possible

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    If I'm not mistaken, Ironite iron is iron oxide. That doesn't even do anything in alkaline soils as alluded to above. It's not as if the product was primarily iron sulfate, which is readily water soluable. I wouldn't get worked up about it.

  • 8 years ago

    It is surprisingly hard to find the exact ingredients in Ironite online. However, this lady says the iron is actually in the form of ferrous sulfate, which is soluble. This is a kind of salt that can burn the lawn so watering it in is a good thing. This is a concise article worth reading, and I simply assume it is accurate.

    http://homeguides.sfgate.com/can-ironite-burn-lawn-93587.html

    Your soil stores nutrients like calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron and so on at its exchange sites. There are several factors that determine which of these will attach to the exchange sites, pH being one of the factors. Concentration of each is another important factor. If you flood your soil with soluble iron, you may deplete your soil of the other nutrients due to the sheer number of iron ions looking for an exchange site. After things settle down it might be a good idea to get a soil sample.

    I think dchall wanted to know if you were west of the continental divide. Since you are west, you might also take some photos of the Pacific ocean each week to be sure there is no mass extinction. Or, contact NASA to see if their satellites show any red algal blooms from all the iron. OK, this last part was just a joke. :o)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    6 days later... lawn seems a bit darker but nothing drastic has happened.

    Although, as mentioned, the local wildlife population has been devastated. ;)

  • 8 years ago

    Any update?

  • 8 years ago

    The new ironite formula stinks! After pennington bought it, the product went down hill.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Not sure if it was any good to begin with. How good is iron oxide anyways for an iron source. something tells me it's not very bio available.


    label on Ironite at Lowes last week.

  • 8 years ago
    Iron oxide is not a good source. The old recipe used to be iron sucrate I believe. That stuff stains bad though so I’m not 100% sure if it was sucrate. Scotts Green Max has iron sucrate as well but no staining precautions.