Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meems15

Steel vs. Wood Support Beams

Michelle NJ
5 years ago
We are pushing back 15-feet to expand current kitchen and dining room and are putting in a 2nd floor addition directly above. I strongly modern, prefer open floor plan and haven’t seen any design that includes a support-post that I like. It’s approximately 27’ from wall to wall. I think my options are steel beam vs. wood beam? And beam all the way up into the ceiling or a bit dropped (If cost-saving, I’m happy with exposed beam). Any suggestions about how to keep floorplan super modern and open and still keep costs down? And what anticipated costs might be? (I’ve gotten estimate of $5000). Please see floorplan attached. Note that master suite above is approximately 15’ x 27’. Thanks in advance!

Comments (15)

• katinparadise
    5 years ago

A structural engineer will be needed to specify the type of beam you need.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    5 years ago

You're not spanning 27'. Fagitaboudit. Ever see a three car garage without a wall dividing one bay? Yeah, me neither.

• zneret
    5 years ago

I'm sure an unsupported 27' beam is possible. It'll likely be at a price you won't want to pay.

• User
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

A 300K-600K+-+++ project like this needs better professionals involved than you currently are working with if you have to come online and ask questions like that. 5K is a joke.

• DrB477
    5 years ago

Our 19' steel beam flush to the ceiling was about $5k. No columns. It was either 10" or 12" deep, I forget which.

That big I would assume we are talking steel if it's even possible. General rule is 1/2" deep steel beam for every 1' it supports, so you are talking about something like a 14" beam. I assume such things exist but I'm no expert.

You should be having the conversation with your contractor and/or engineer.

• wildauddie
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Our 20' engineered wood beams were around $5k. Our whole addition project, which is nearing completion, was three stories, 75% interior space and 25% porch space, and price will come out at around or a bit over 300k. Engineers, builder, and architect worked together on the plan. With regards to the beams themselves, I just asked if they could make it in such a way that we could box it with a decorative wood facade, since the beam itself looks like a bunch of wood sandwiched together. I'm in New England USA, about 1 hour from the nearest medium-sized metro. Hope that helps.

Edit to add: if I recall correctly, there was some sort of cut off where over something like 25' span was going to get more spendy with how the beams had to be configured or made. So we'd originally hoped for a 25x30 foot addition and scaled back to a 20x25 foot plus added a third floor. Adding the third floor gave us the extra space we wanted and was estimated to be around cost neutral versus the larger footprint. (We have an incredible view too) Your mileage may vary here because your site and situation are different. Something to keep in your pocket perhaps.

Edit again to add a few other ideas: We repurposed windows we had, Anderson custom windows, that saved a lot of money. We also got Anderson customer patio doors, top of the line, on Craigslist that were in like new condition for half of new price, plus some work done at a good price because it happened the guy was a skilled roofer with good reputation. If you enjoy negotiation, repurposing, and bargain shopping, those can be a good way to save money, so long as you have a good support team of experts in place. I always got experts to weigh in before I made a purchase, so that I didn't end up getting something that wouldn't work. We saved many thousands that way. The end project is costing more than we set out to spend, but that's the result of choices in other areas where we decided to go above and beyond.

Good luck!

• acm
    5 years ago

Don't confuse structure and style. Get what you need to hold your house up -- you can make it work with your style!! At or near the end of an island usually isn't a problem.

Maywood Ave. Home, Ann Arbor · More Info

vashon barn conversion · More Info

rutledge st. residence - from open kitchen to the view · More Info

wg loft · More Info

Modern Kitchen · More Info

If you can't stand any of these examples, then prepare to pony up in the five figures for a real spanning beam or reconsider your plan.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    5 years ago

From a design perspective structure and style are inseparable. Each must be taken into consideration so they work together versus fighting each other. When the structure get's in the way you need to either change the structure or find a way to properly integrate it into the design/style, it can't just look like a workaround.

• mark_rachel
    5 years ago

Style/design means nothing if your house is falling down. Do the right thing & get multiple eyes on this project. Don't just take the work of one contractor that gives you a low price.

• User
    5 years ago

Are these actual architect drawings, have you even employed an architect? This seems to be a very extensive 'renovation'. Have you considered the cost of demolishing the exiting house and doing a total rebuild, or alternatively selling the current property and building on vacant land. Questions about supporting beams really shouldn't be something you have to ask others about - your architect, engineer and build team should know all about this and be able to answer any of your questions. Having a span that big in a residential property is very much out of the ordinary especially if you are going to add another storey on top. You need top notch people for this project and very deep pockets.

• PRO
    The Kitchen Abode Ltd.
    5 years ago

Achieving a respectful balance between design and structure dose not mean compromising the structure for the design or vice verse. In this project there is an unwanted support post given the proposed beam, there are two choices, find a way to incorporated the post into the design or change the beam to eliminate the need for the post. Obviously it is up to the Structural Engineer to determine if there is a viable beam alternative, if not then the designer is going to have to find a way to deal with it. Either way there will be an additional cost, a beefed up beam will cost more money and it will also cost money to clad a post, it's a game of differentials.

• Michelle NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thank you all for your input! And Wildauddie, YES! Lots of great ideas. Craigslist for brand new doors—amazing. Regarding the post v. Beam discussion: I really am trying to find a post option that I can tolerate (and end up with lots more $$ to spend elsewhere) but am still searching...
  • Julia PoNix
    5 years ago

I am a homeowner and have a similar need for posts (to hold up new basement stairwell hole). My home is modern/industrial. Speaking only to style here... Beams/posts I have been looking at include steel i-beam, thick, reclaimed wood posts (or cladding using reclaimed/industrial wood), glue-lam (laminated wood) posts, or other metal (square-shaped) posts. Consider also to improve the look of a functional post that you can face a functional post with wood, stain or paint as you want, dress it up with metal (fastener) hardware, or face it with stone. If you look at Eichler homes they use exposed wood posts and beams for a great modern look.

• Michelle NJ
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I will check Eichler homes. Thank you!!!