Software
Houzz Logo Print
ellenoir17

STUFF on the counters

8 years ago
Is there any hope of ever having a clutter free counter? Does anyone have any tips?
I try really hard to prioritize what's out, but with our small kitchen and limited storage its not like there's somewhere else to put it. One day I plan to remodel the kitchen, but it will never be huge so I have little hope the situation will improve.
We have:
Knife rack
Toaster
Paper towels
Assorted non cold Veggies
Drying mat
Vitamix (used 2x daily)
Espresso Maker (used 4x daily)
Espresso bean grinder
Scale (used every meal)
Teakettle (I guess I could stow this?)
Cast Iron pan (used daily)
Essential oil diffuser (could get rid of this)
Dog biscuit jars (could get rid of this)
Assorted mail and keys and other clutter (wish I could get this to stop accumulating)

Comments (109)

  • 8 years ago

    I have almost everything that you have, but choose to keep most of it in a drawer/cupboard. I would rather pull it out as needed than have to look at it when not in use, but that's just me.
    Knife block - on the counter, just because I haven't found a drawer organizer that I like
    Toaster - on the counter
    Paper towels - in a drawer
    Assorted non cold Veggies - in a basket in the cupboard
    Drying mat - in a towel rack in cupboard
    Vitamix (used 2x daily) - in a cupboard (not used daily)
    Espresso Maker (used 4x daily) - on the counter
    Espresso bean grinder - don't have
    Scale (used every meal) - in a cupboard
    Teakettle (I guess I could stow this?) - in a drawer
    Cast Iron pan (used daily) - in a drawer
    Essential oil diffuser (could get rid of this) - in a pullout
    Dog biscuit jars (could get rid of this) - in the closet (I have cat treats)
    Assorted mail and keys and other clutter (wish I could get this to stop accumulating)- I have small command hooks in the coat closet for the keys, and also have a problem with mail!


  • 8 years ago

    Unfortunately I don't really see how I could get rid of the drying mat. I
    actually switched to it from dish cloths because it felt more sanitary.


    I would think the mat would be LESS sanitary.
    I grab a new dishcloth, lay it out, put the stuff on it as I wash and rinse. Then I pick up the stuff, use another clean cloth to dab off any obvious water, and put things away. The dishcloth then goes in the laundry.

    It's always fresh.

    A dish mat sits around. If it's the absorbent kind, it sits there for a while, damp.
    If it's the plastic kind, it can get washed now and then, but still...

    And the mat is always out. The dishtowel goes away as soon as the job is done.

    Can the blender bowl go back on the blender? And then you set the lid on it askew, or even vertically (or lean it up against the side; or put a Command hook on the side of the machine and hang the lid by the lip?), so it's not sealed and can air-dry? As long as the lid isn't sealing it, I'd expect it to dry just as fast.

    I love that idea of a PVC tube on the underside of a shelf for your straws! Or, put a cap on a piece of cubing and then caulk it to the inside of a lower-cabinet door, if there's room in front.


    And yes, you are allowed to get rid of pots and pans you don't use. (Or, if you might use them for an occasional big meal or two, then stick them in the garage or attic.)

  • 8 years ago

    ooh, soap dispensers!

    Do you have a hole that you could put an in-countertop soap dispenser? Then you could get the Never-MT or similar hose setup, and a giant bottle down below, and that would eliminate at least one thing (two, if you were willing to use the same soap for washing hands).

    http://custominserts-store.stores.yahoo.net/nevsoapandlo.html

    (I once bought a dispenser at Home Depot that came with a hose. And I have purchased a plain hose a Home Depot to put on an existing soap dispenser, as DIY version, which was nice bcs the Never-MT is sometimes too short)

  • 8 years ago

    But then I added something back to the counter- a straw container so I
    don't have to fish straws out of a plastic bag from the bottom drawer
    every morning.

    Couldn't you just move the straws so that they are stored in a top drawer? Mine stand inside the upper cabinet reserved for drinks (coffee, tea, etc.).

    Straws are generally shorter than the cabinet is deep, so putting them on their sides is doable, though suspending them from the shelf above (via that PVC tube, or a cardboard box, or fabric sling, or something) would make them more accessible.

    (I feel guilty every time I use a straw, though)

  • 8 years ago
    We don't have an attic or a basement or a garage... sigh, add that to the list of non negotiables for the next house I suppose.
    And I've come to the conclusion that there's just no more room in the cabinets to put things away even if I wanted to. So I think we're going to do the knife rack and straw storage and look for a better storage solution for mail and keys. And then just work on being more zen about the rest lol.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I understand needing more storage options.

    I have lived in several small spaces. When funds were limited I had to get creative. For example, I had a table with a table cloth against a wall & put my big crockpot & tall big pans under. I also kept overstock laundry detergents hidden behind a long curtain sometimes or behind a sofa against a wall. I also put a coffee table in my closet to store containers full of items on top & under. Also, had a chest seat full of stuff. It was incognito. My house was clean & organized, but had secret storage where ever. No one knew they were there. Even my old roommates were like where did you get that. lol

    Also,

    Keep an eye out for muti-functional storage furniture.

    Here is some ideas. There are many ideas & styles out there.



  • 8 years ago

    oh--the storage under the shelf

    I once created this using foam-core board and duct tape. I cut foam board into a U shape just the right size for this box, and then I used duct tape to make a flexible tab at the top. I folded the tab out flat against the underside of the shelf and staple-gunned it to secure it. That created a little cubby above the stuff on the shelf below.

    You could make something like that for the scale, if there is a gap above the plates, or glasses, or whatever. Then you'd have a spot your could easily slide it into.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Oh--and storing non-kitchen stuff in other rooms?
    totally OK. I used to store the canned goods in the dining room buffet. It worked!

    So yeah, move a few of those pans into any other space in your house that you can fit them. (Though storage space is probably tight all over, it sounds like)

    Good luck!

  • 8 years ago

    ElleN, what's under your island, there? Is that just a table, or...? Maybe you could add some shelves or drawers underneath it, to give you more storage? Or, if it's the kind with a flat back, could you add some slim shelves--they wouldn't take up too much space but you could store basics like pasta, flour etc. in narrow, clear containers, and that might free up some room in a cupboard or pantry?

    I LOVE Localeater's PVC tube suggestion--I'm going to add something like that myself! My husband likes to make himself iced coffees as use a straw, so we have a bag of straws (resting sideways) in our top drawer, but I'd love to get them out of there.

    And I agree with Anglophilia re kitchens looking like kitchens! But I also understand the need for usable counterspace. My kitchen currently has three feet of usable countertop (yes, seriously, just three feet--which is why I'm renovating!) so it's a constant struggle for me to find places to put kitchen machines without taking up any of that precious space. My new kitchen, when finished, will have twenty-three linear feet of countertop, so I am *very* excited!

  • 8 years ago
    Yay I'm glad you're getting your Reno! I think it's even better when you've lived with the less than ideal (3 feet?!?)

    The island is where I store the cookware. Its just not quite big enough for the set we have plus the cast iron pans.
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks, ElleN! They're delivering the cabinets tomorrow (IKEA!)--now comes the hard part and the fun part, lol. I'm not looking forward to ripping the old cabinets out, but I'm very excited about installing the new ones and the countertop(s). :-)

    I almost bought that exact island (I built custom shelves myself instead, which I love; see below)! Speaking of IKEA, they sell bars with hooks that you can screw in underneath the top of your island (or a cabinet or whatever), do you know what I mean? Like this: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00201904/ with hooks like this: https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40201902/

    You screw one of those rails to your island, and then you can hang pots/pans/utensils off of it, to free up some storage space elsewhere. They'd look perfect on the Stenstorp. IKEA sells buckets etc. you can hang off the rail, too, for stuff that doesn't have a hole for hanging. (I plan to get several myself, one for my shelves to hang a towel, and another for the wall over the shelves, which will hold rolls of parchment paper and foil so I can just pull them out and cut.) Would something like that help you at all?

    Or maybe you could try short undershelf shelves, the kind that just hook ober the existing shelf? They're usually not very deep, but I have some in my pantry and they're a big help, so maybe they could work in yours or in one of your cabinets?

    These are my shelves; please disregard the clutter everywhere, lol, I was in the middle of re-arranging and cleaning. Also, the wire shelving unit (opposite the wood shelves) will be replaced with a cabinet, and the shelves aren't quite complete; it's awaiting a proper countertop (there's just some pine slats and oak plywood over the top) and back panels which will match the cabinet doors (custom doors from Scherr's, in the style of IKEA's "Hittarp" door but unfinished so I can paint them myself).

    Fingers crossed the Fintorp rail is a workable idea for you!


  • 8 years ago
    I've seen those bars before but never thought to put them on the island! That's a good idea. Right now the hand towels are on the fridge door which my husband hates because I usually have the fridge open exactly when he needs it (we commute together which is nice but makes mornings hectic). Our cabinets are so crappy that even the screws for the paper towels are too long and go right through the cabinet bottom, but the island is really solid quality.

    I think ripping them out will be therapeutic and you must be handy if you could do the island yourself :)
  • 8 years ago

    Oh, yay! I'm so glad you like the idea!

    And I hear you on the towels, heh. Mine hang off the oven door, which I hate because when I need to open the oven I have to take them off so they don't hit the floor. It's just a pain. I'm going to install at least one rail on the shelves, and maybe one on one of the cabinets, as well. I was actually thinking about putting one on the lower edge of an upper cabinet, next to the sink, but I don't know if I want anything hanging down like that. That sucks that your cabinets are so thin; are the drawer fronts strong/thick enough, maybe, or the panel right in front of the sink?

    I'd be a lot happier about ripping out the old cabinets if I could just tear them up, but my dad wants them so I've got to try to keep them intact, ugh. And I'd like to think I'm handy, and usually I do okay, but you should have seen the mess I made out of trying to install two magnet boards on the wall above the shelves yesterday, lol. It was very discouraging. (We have a new black stainless fridge, and I can't bear to put all our old magnets back on that gorgeous surface.) Thanks for the lovely comment, though! :-)

  • 8 years ago

    Very nice!! And WOW what a difference removing that old border made!! Yay!

  • 8 years ago
    Thanks! Forgot to add, also took a bunch of stuff off the fridge whiched helped a lot. Once the finishing touches are done I'll post a better picture. For some reason our paint looks really grey in this picture, but it's actually a cream?
  • 8 years ago
    Ah! Soooooo much better!
  • 8 years ago

    It looks really nice!

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    So much better. Way to go!

    Thanks for posting your progress. So many people get advice & forget to show their success. Posting outcomes may help someone else in the future.

  • 8 years ago
    Looks great! I'm seeing a pretty, neutral tile backsplash now???
  • 8 years ago

    Looks good. I'd just caulk and leave paint for the backsplash. It's perfectly fine like that.

  • 8 years ago

    And I want your tea kettle lol.


    your kitchen looks GREAT!

  • 8 years ago

    That looks fabulous. I am so impressed with the posters who spotted the real problem- the extra tidying would not have amounted to much compared to removing the wallpaper. Kudos for a job well done. And I am on team paint and caulk for backsplash.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    "Still trying to figure out what to put back there- leave the paint and caulk the gap, or maybe a washable wallpaper?"

    I forgot to address this...I agree with simply paint & caulk. It's a nice clean look, and sometimes simple is best!

  • 8 years ago
    haha thanks Louise. It's Kate Spade. I've got matching bakewear too :)
  • 8 years ago

    Your kitchen looks much better! I'm another that doesn't care to have things out. In our last house, the walk-in pantry had a table/bench built by the trim carpenter and based on a potting bench. On top - microwave, toaster and K cup machine. We just moved and the new kitchen has a wall of doors - freezer and fridge towers, 2 pantries and an appliance area (counter with pull out for coffeemaker and blender. Microwave on shelf above. 2 drawers below) that I based on English kitchen designs (someone posted above and called them a breakfast pantry, I believe).

    I bought a wooden drawer knife holder (flat) to replace the counter knife block. A divided drawer for glass casserole dishes, 9x13 pans and the like. They are stored on their sides, and it makes locating and getting items much easier. I have a pottery paper towel jar from David T Smith, so that is on the counter. Part of the range backsplash was installed yesterday, and I'm thinking about removing most, if not all, of my decorative accessories (which is already less here than last house). Once the fish is no longer, another "accessory" will go. A large vase of flowers is on the island, but nothing else.

    Some might say our kitchens look like no one every cooks (or lives) here, but we cook several times a day. Too many things clutter my mind.

  • 8 years ago

    You call that clutter? That is not clutter. That is just life. The things that you have out seem to be the things that you actually use.

    You have identified a few things that may go away and perhaps that is all you can do, short of putting away everything and taking it out when you use it.

    I have my own kitchen down to only essential things on the countertop, or anywhere else in the kitchen, for that matter.


    Both of my grown kids have cluttered countertops and it makes me absolutely crazy when I see it. Why keep so much junk piled up on your spaces?

    I love an uncluttered space!

    You are lightyears ahead of so many other people.

    I have a nest of cast iron skillets and they have been my favorite cookware for decades. Like you, I use mine everyday. There is often one awaiting me on the stove top, like yours. There is something that is so inviting about a cast iron skillet sitting there, awaiting a splash of olive oil to begin a good meal. I do have a pull out storage for them, but one sitting there, waiting, gives me pleasure.

    Your countertop is fine!

  • 8 years ago

    "Both of my grown kids have cluttered countertops and it makes me
    absolutely crazy when I see it. Why keep so much junk piled up on your
    spaces?

    I love an uncluttered space!

    You are lightyears ahead of so many other people."

    Don't think of it as ahead or behind, better or worse - it's just different. I like some clutter and hate an uncluttered space. Different strokes.......

  • 8 years ago

    Well, when I have to cook at their houses, it is real obstacle. Also, there are things kept there that should be kept away from the hands of toddlers. The things on the countertops are not only a eyesore, but they are not related to anything in the kitchen and make just finding a clear place to use to be a chore. It becomes a juggling act and in the case of paper mail piled up along the stove top, it becomes a fire hazard.

    It is one thing to have some kitchen appliances on the counter that you maybe don't use all the time. It is entirely another thing to have five gallon buckets of dog biscuits, vet meds, diaper bags, purses, piles of mail, school papers, packages of batteries, bits and pieces of toys,etc....

    why?


  • 8 years ago

    Yeah, that's not clutter, that's junk! It would drive me nuts, too. We have one section of countertop that seems to be a magnet for mail and papers; I clean it and the next day there's stuff all over it again. But that's nowhere near the stoves, at least, and it's a small section. And it's not bits of toys and batteries and stuff that belongs in drawers or kids' rooms!

    If I were you, Wednesday Morning, I'd take a box over there with me when I go, and scoop all that stuff into a box before I start cooking. Clean countertops to work on, and they can sort out the boxes--you're not "cleaning" for them, just making it safe and easy to cook in there. :-)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    "why?"

    Think of it as filling their spaces with their life and personality, not as filling it with clutter.........What you see as an eyesore might be comforting to them. What you think is annoying might be easy to deal with for them.

  • 8 years ago

    Piles of stuff everywhere just becomes landscape. Clutter is clutter and it is almost all junk and stuff that needs elsewhere to go.

    I know that I do not like the idea of dysfunctional clutter to define my life or personality.

    Piling clothes in baskets in the bedroom is one thing, but obscuring the function of a kitchen is quite another. A kitchen should be a functional workspace.



  • 8 years ago

    "I know that I do not like the idea of dysfunctional clutter to define my life or personality."

    Fair enough, but it's not your life or personality (or your kitchen, for that matter). Just sayin'.


  • 8 years ago
    Really good improvements! Does the canister for the vitamix fit on top of the motor? In our old apartment, we were able to make that fit under the upper cabinet by keeping the lid for the canister turned upside down. It made it an inch shorter which was just the amount needed to keep it under the upper cabinet. The only other thing i would do is find some storage for the knives. A few good suggestions were posted. Because our kids were little, we ended up buying individual knife sleeves for each knife and kept them between stacks of plates in the upper cabinet. Maybe that's a solution for the ceramic knife? And the rest can be on a magnetic strip on the inside door of the upper cabinet?
  • 8 years ago
    Just wanted to give one more update. We lived with the white walls for a while but they were getting pretty beat up so I went with a peel and stick tile backsplash and LOVE IT. It feels like our kitchen is finally complete, and it really doesn't look cheap or fake in person. I was completely surprised by how much I like it.
  • 8 years ago

    Looks so real and wonderful, good job!

  • 8 years ago

    Wow great job!

  • 8 years ago

    Love it!

  • 8 years ago

    Beautiful! I love it!

  • 8 years ago
    That is a great choice of color for the backsplash.
  • 8 years ago

    I love your polka dot toaster and teakettle.

  • 8 years ago

    I have my blender bowl upside down for storage. Otherwise it's to tall to fit.

  • 8 years ago

    where did you buy your backsplash?

  • 8 years ago
    Amazon!

    Tic Tac Tiles Premium Anti Mold Peel and Stick Wall Tile in Subway Design (12"x12" 10 sheets, Mist) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077H4M3X6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apap_PiA1Rdi8N9Ocy
  • 8 years ago
    This is my dream to have my counters look like yours! Lol
  • 8 years ago

    they look very nice!


  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    You could always buy a mail and key rack to put on the side of that cabinet near the door. It can be attached to the side of your cabinet near the door or on a wall. When you walk in, put your keys on the hook and your mail in the slot. There are so many different styles.


  • 7 years ago

    I'm going to add a thought that I think hasn't been mentioned here:

    A big priority in my new kitchen is an "away cabinet". I'm stealing the name from the popular concept of an "away room" -- the idea is a cabinet that isn't connected to the main cooking area; rather, it's a cabinet that's IN the kitchen but a few steps away from the main action. It's a place for the coffee pot, the toaster, a bowl of fruit, a cake sitting under a dome.

    These things have to go somewhere, and if we don't plan a place for them, they end up in the main work space -- and they're in the way.

    My thought is that 99% of the time this will work well for my husband and I, and when we have people over, we can clear this space off and use it to serve drinks or desserts.

  • 7 years ago

    Wow your kitchen looks so tidy. Wish my family (and myself included) were so tidy. I clean and start out that way but then I start leaving things around and not cleaning up right away after a mess and then for some reason I just give up until I can't stand it any longer.


    Artistsharonva:. Can you tell me where the stackable cabinet shelves (like the type you have pictured) are sold? I have purchased some at Target in the past and even without overloading them, they have sagged.

  • 7 years ago

    Oh, heck — just shove everything into the dishwasher, oven, and lower cupboards like most people do (but will never admit...)!

    If I cleared everything off of my counters, what fun would our Great Pyrenees have when she counter surfs?