Software
Houzz Logo Print
johnandmisty

Need help with exterior update

8 years ago
I just purchased this house and I would like to update the exterior. Would like some advice on door colors and siding along with any other suggestions you may have. The screen door needs to go and i would like to add some color without going overboard with it. Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)

  • 8 years ago

    I would remove the shutters. Paint the door glossy black and get a black full vue storm door. Work on the shrubbery; get rid of all those balls. Talk to the local nursery about what will work in your zone

  • 8 years ago

    Don't totally throw the shrubs away though - put them in the back. Add some flowers for color. A small tree to the left side would be nice.

  • 8 years ago
    I like that the shutters compliment the black in your brick and would keep them so that the windows don’t get lost in the expanse of the bricks. Also, I think the white porch area adds the light that you need under that low roof line. With the screen door permanently removed, replace the front door with something interesting, perhaps with beveled glass to allow more natural light into your home. Notice how the turquoise chairs added that pop of color. Think about how your front door could be painted to be the showstopper, as a perfect accessory and then furnish your porch to compliment the color you choose for the door. I would get rid of the existing shrubs; they are just too choppy. Perhaps a very low continuous shrub would be best if you are looking for low maintenance. I don’t know your location, but I would look for an evergreen, like a small holly along the sidewalk edge. One that wouldn’t get more than about 8-12 inches high. The berries in the fall and winter would add interest and you could place three color complimentary planters between the hedge and the porch. I use miniature gardenia for my border. Soften the corner of the flowerbed to the right of the front door by removing the existing boxy shrubs and planting a more loosely shaped, large evergreen bush such as Loropetalum or perhaps Pieris Fire. A small ornamental tree, such as a crepe myrtle, if tolerated in your area looks great blooming in the spring and then bare in winter with tiny lights strung throughout. If you plant a small tree, take it to the edge or furthest point away from the house, or even extend the bed to accommodate it. Azaleas are always a great addition in the south and come in so many varieties now. I can visualize three to five small azaleas extending across that area, depending on how many feet across you have to work with. Check with your local nursery for recommendations with respect to your climate and soil type. I’m all about beauty with low maintenance and evergreens do that for you. You can have the fun with changing out the plants/flowers in your beautiful pots. Good luck.
  • 8 years ago
    Look on Houzz for Ranch Style Exteriors. Pick one. Adapt it to work on your house. Then go for it!