Software
Houzz Logo Print
missmandylee

Bi-fold design problem

My master bathroom has been renovated by an awesome designer who has been dead on with choices and plans except for the closet doors. Not hers but the manufacturers. After multiple attempts to make it work and visits by the superintendant, the doors still buckle, do not close, and is flimsy (both door are trackless as opposed to the previous bi-folds). Even though there will be a manufacturer rep come to assess the door, I’m open ideas even a design change.







Comments (15)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I can't understand why a designer chose to do bi-fold doors there. you have plenty of room to open a door.

    can't you just do a door?

    or narrow double doors?

    why bi-fold?Another option is a single door w/frosted glass. or, if you need the mirror, do a mirror door.


    this is a pocket door, but you could do a door like this and install it as a regular door.

    missmandylee Chirafisi thanked Beth H. :
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Bathroom looks great! But would you get rid of the mirrored doors? Those will likely get dirty and show spots. I would exchange for a single fiberglass door. or two smaller, custom french doors would look good.

    missmandylee Chirafisi thanked Lion Windows and Doors
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Judging by the uneven gap on the right side of the door in the first and second photos, it looks like the wall isn't plumb. (The bottom of the mirror is hitting the trim.) Check for plumb with at least a 4' long level.

    ETA that it looks like you have a drywall return and do not have jambs. The use of jambs is where you can correct some of the framing problems/ errors.

    missmandylee Chirafisi thanked ci_lantro
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    Looks like the bottom right corner is hitting the jamb?

    missmandylee Chirafisi thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • 8 years ago

    Another possible contributing factor could be that the right & left walls may not be in the same plane.

    missmandylee Chirafisi thanked ci_lantro
  • 8 years ago

    I hate bi-folds. There are so many reasons to hate them.

    missmandylee Chirafisi thanked User
  • 8 years ago

    Agreed Skiil367. More trouble than it’s worth.

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    I love frameless mirrored closed doors. Most people aren't brave enough to go glass, or even etched glass, but these look beautiful



    if done correctly.

    missmandylee Chirafisi thanked DreamMaker Bath & Kitchen of Beaverton
  • 8 years ago

    I'm going to run it by the designer again. I'm almost totally turned off by the bi-fold doors and narrow (30") French would work and look much better. I may stick with the mirror kind because the only ones in the master bath are 2 large backlit vanity mirrors. I really like the frosted but then there would be too many style doors in the room. I would appreciate more input from the pros!

  • 8 years ago
    I do like my mirrored closet doors, best full size mirror for getting ready.
  • 8 years ago

    Are they bifold, pocket, French? Have a picture?

  • 8 years ago
    Bifold and never had a problem with them not closing
  • 8 years ago

    The current bi-fold doors are trackless and the ones they replaced were on a track. Are yours trackless?


  • 8 years ago

    They're either hung too far forward, or the spring needs to be adjusted.

    But I'm not a pro, so...