Software
Houzz Logo Print
mariannese

OT The drought continues

8 years ago

Still no rain in large parts of Sweden. Sad for me but no catastrophe as I'm not dependent on my garden. A local pig farmer is giving away 68 of her pigs because she cannot afford to feed them. Only people that are used to keeping pigs may take them and people come from all over the country. Some have brought pig food but she cannot use non-organic food to be able to keep the organic classification of her farm but she can give some of it to her chickens. There is a 6 months' waiting list to slaughterhouses so many animals may die from starvation before that. Many farmers face ruin and subsidies from EU is their hope, not a regular resource for Swedish farmers. Horse owners are badly off because they don't usually grow anything and have to buy the hay and silage they need. There are 30 000 horses in Stockholm only.

Comments (48)

  • 8 years ago

    So sad, mariannese. I did not realize Sweden was also affected by drought.

    mariannese thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • 8 years ago

    must be so hard on the farmers

    mariannese thanked modestgoddess z6 OH
  • 8 years ago

    That's devastating Mariannese. Farmers facing ruin, animals facing worse, and everyone a food shortage. I hope things improve soon.

    mariannese thanked maryc_gwSoCA/USDA10
  • 8 years ago

    It sounds awful, Marianne! I am wishing you and yours the blessings of rain, inthe right amount, as too much can be as damaging as too little.

    mariannese thanked Rosefolly z5
  • 8 years ago

    This is absolutely heart-breaking, Marianne. I see on the heat map of the world that Sweden is badly affected and I can't really understand why since it's so far north. I'm afraid it's an early sign of things to come for many parts of the world. It has to be devastating in your area where such things just didn't happen in the past. My heart goes out to the animals and the people affected in this horrific way. I am surprised that there are so many horses. Is riding a hobby for many people, since I can't imagine any other uses in an urban area? I'm just wondering, are you seeing any effect in your garden from the heat?

    mariannese thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago

    If this is the state of affairs in Sweden, there's really not much hope for places like Southern California. (And yet, people still waste water, here).


    mariannese thanked jerijen
  • 8 years ago

    That’s sobering news, indeed! I too, was unaware that Sweden was suffering such a devastating drought. Is drought at all common in Sweden? The climate is so concerning! We give so little thought to everything we consume, until it becomes scarce or too expensive due to drought/climate change. The situation sounds very serious in Sweden. I sincerely hope that you get rain soon. The longer the drought goes on, the longer the effects will be felt, even after the rains come. I also wonder why I haven’t seen anything on the news about this..... Lisa

    mariannese thanked Lisa Adams
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you for your concern. No, drought is not at all common in Sweden. My area on the eastern side is in rain shadow from the west winds that usually bring rain from the Atlantic but we've never had a drought like this. But we are not alone now, the southern half of the country and parts of the north suffer, too. The lawn is scorched, perennials are falling over, birch trees are dropping their yellow leaves already. Roses are surviving best, at least the large old shrubs. But the flowers are smaller than usual and are over quickly. We water vegetables, anything planted in spring and pots. No hose pipe ban here because we get our water from the Lake Mälaren, the country's third largest lake. Some homes with dry wells are having water delivered in tanks.

    There are 355 000 horses in Sweden which means that there are 36 horses per 1000 people, a decline since the last count in 2010. Riding is a popular hobby, my 9-year-old grandchild rides and so do many of her friends. There are two riding schools not far from here. Riding is the second largest sport among young people after football (soccer), the sixth most popular among the entire population and 90 % of those who ride are girls and women. Unless you own a horse it's not very expensive. But because riding is not much subsidized like boy's sports, the riding schools rely on help from the young riders that do much of the manual work in the stables in return for free rides.

    A former colleague bought a horse after retirement together with a friend to share costs. They are two of the many older women that have taken up riding again after many years. Riding is also encouraged for handicapped persons for exercise. Harness racing is also big and we have two training camps for half-breeds nearby. Still, the biggest concentration of horses is in the far south.



  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    So sorry to hear that mariannese! I hope yall get a good singing rain soon! Along with some more. It hasn't even been long since it rained here, a week and a half for me, but I'm praying we get a good soaking soon, so I cant imagine what you are going through. My thought and prayers are with you!

    mariannese thanked Alana8aSC
  • 8 years ago

    I've always thought that riding is great exercise for the horse, not so much for the rider. Walking and hiking seem a lot cheaper, and you can also stop whenever you want to and look at the flowers. I suppose riding has more cachet since it takes more money, but with ever greater heat it may become too expensive to keep horses.

    mariannese thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago

    I know I’ve been VERY sore from horseback riding, after not riding for a while. ( I don’t mean my bottom, either:) I remember my inner thigh muscles getting a real workout. It’s more exercise than you’d think, and very pleasurable, if you have a happy, gentle horse. Lisa

    mariannese thanked Lisa Adams
  • 8 years ago

    Just can’t “like” something this devestating, but thank you so much for bringing some awareness. My thoughts & prayers are with Sweden now! :-)

    mariannese thanked Perma n’ Posies/9A FL
  • 8 years ago

    The good news is that finally there is a national program to help farmers. Even our local community lets farmer harvest hay from fallow land set aside for building on. We are strongly encouraged to buy Swedish meat instead of cheaper foreign meat to save some cattle and other animals from being slaughtered too soon. I'm sorry I eat so little meat, Swedish or foreign, that I can't help.

    The heat is forecast to continue for another 10 days. I checked my notes and the last rain fell on May 5. The garden is over for this season, more or less. July is usually the best month of our gardening year, and God knows our season is short enough.

  • 8 years ago

    I’m glad there’s a national program started for the farmers. I really hope you get some relief soon! Keep us posted. We’re thinking of you! Lisa

    mariannese thanked Lisa Adams
  • 8 years ago

    CNN reported on the situation in Sweden today:

    https://edition.cnn.com/2018/07/19/europe/sweden-forest-fires-wxc-intl/index.html

    91F today. We're not used to such temperatures for longer periods. Some people are beginning to prepare for evacuation like keeping necessary papers close at hand, even though they may live far from fires. I won't but it says a lot about how shielded we've always been from natural disasters.

    Private citizens with large estates and golf links are now giving up their dry grass to horse and cattle owners. There have been thefts of silage rolls from fields as the price for one is now 150 USD. Farmers give the immature and withered wheat and rye in the fields to their animals because there is nothing to harvest. A field I passed a few days ago. It looks ripe but it isn't. We are better off than many poorer countries in the same situation because we can still pay for imported food, although dearly. But we've certainly become aware of global warming.

  • 8 years ago

    I'm sorry things are re still bad for you. I haven't recieved any rain either, although it has rained all around me. So we have had it, I just haven't gotten any.

    Has no where gotten any rain? I pray you'll get some relief soon! So sorry to hear about the farmers. I hope you all get some rain soon and lots of it.

    mariannese thanked Alana8aSC
  • 8 years ago

    Some parts of the country have had showers and we may also get thunder and rain tomorrow afternoon, starting from 7 o'clock. Ironically, that's the exact time when I've invited dinner guests and had planned to sit outside. But I shall be happy to stay inside as long as it rains and hope my guests will be, too.

  • 8 years ago

    I'm so very sorry, Marianne. This has to be so traumatic for a country that has never experienced such problems before. I'm glad that the farmers are getting some much-needed help but it can't be enough. Only rain will help and even that will be too late to solve the problem completely, but certainly better than no rain at all.

    Driving around our country neighborhood is a sad experience now with so many dead and dying trees and other vegetation. It's such a drastic change from even a few years ago. Heaven help us if there is a fire because the area will go up like a tinderbox.

    mariannese thanked ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Hi not to thread jack this, I am from Australia and have a look at this link, one of that have appeared on our FB due to the drought we are having.

    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10156600306287491&set=a.38854507490.46185.624142490&type=3&theatermany .

    mariannese thanked David_ in NSW Australia z8b/9a
  • 8 years ago

    The UK is also suffering from a historic drought. I posted these satellite images earlier on the Perennials forum. I really worry about our future on this planet.

    mariannese thanked User
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    These terrifying photos are from the BBC site: https://www.bbc.com/news/in-pictures-44923654

    Not much of England's green and pleasant land in these photos. But grass will come back, it's worse for other plants. Many trees are dying in my garden. Friends are giving away half of their shrubs, magnolias and Japanese acers to people with moister gardens.

  • 8 years ago

    Yes, this is affecting northern regions including Japan so I read today..

    I can't recall a summer like this one, not even 1976 was quite like this I think, although I wasn't gardening then... I've had no rain since mid May, apart from one light shower the other day, and none in the forecast into August... today was 97F in the garden... it's been hot and dry every day since late Spring.. I quite enjoy the heat normally, but this is getting a bit much I have to say... especially when you are dealing with people around you who aren't very well... however, on the bright side..

    'Mme Antoine Mari' is one of my best roses, neglected and unwatered… never stops.. even though the blooms are a bit small this time of year..


    I'm just thankful the Tour de France is on the t.v. for me to watch, as the cyclists go through some of the most stunning countryside vistas I think I've ever seen, especially near the Alps region...

    mariannese thanked User
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-44932366

    Many say the loss of life will eventually reach a 3 digit number. At least 160 persons are being hospitalised. The loss of property is immeasurable at this point. The fire reached 5 miles from my home as the crow flies. It was spreading at lightning speed due to the extremely strong winds.

    mariannese thanked nikthegreek
  • 8 years ago

    I'm glad to hear from you, too, Nik,and second the Comtesse's feelings. Be safe.

    mariannese thanked User
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    and since you asked about little George..

    My home is up the hill shown in the upper left.

  • 8 years ago

    Nik, that's awful. According to DH and DD, it actually has been unseasonally wet in our part of northern Italy. Sounds like we're the only ones. As far as climate change is concerned, it looks like we'd better all focus our attention.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Nik, I am so sorry about a friend of your daughter in law. That is such tragic news and my heart goes out to the family who is deceased. So sad and I am so sorry . Pls send your daughter bin law, my condolences. I am so speechless in the way how they died. Prayers to the families.

    George looks so handsome and so happy. Pls look after yourself and your family. 5 miles is dangerously to close.

    I am with Comtessa comment/ feelungs and totally agree with her. She put it so nicely.

    Melissa, I am not sure where you located in Italy . Pls be careful also. Be safe and aware of your environment.

    I am also worried about CA also. They barely got any rain and it is so dry there. I hope all you guys get rain and no more fires.

    Take care and be safe.

    Jin

    mariannese thanked Plumeria Girl (Florida ,9b)
  • 8 years ago

    Mellisa, I just read your comment. I am glad you got rain. I try to change my comment but Houzz won't let me.

    Jin



  • 8 years ago

    I’m so sorry for all the death and devastation that’s going on in Greece, I agree with Jin, 5 miles is almost too close for comfort and I’m glad your family is safe. My heart breaks for all the families killed in the fire and I’ll be saying prayers for Greece. George has grown so much, it’s hard to believe he’s already so big!

    mariannese thanked boncrow66
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Nik, what a heartbreaking disaster

    I am so sad for all of the loss

    Please know that you are not forgotten. Prayers for Greece.

  • 8 years ago

    So glad you and yours are OK, Nik. Orfeo says hi.

  • 8 years ago

    Wow, I just watch BBC. My heart goes out to 74 killed . So sad and Mati looks so burned. Parents hugging kids and my heart just broke . So sad

    Jin



  • 8 years ago

    This is truly awful, Nik. I'm so glad you're safe, but what a tragic situation.

  • 8 years ago

    Just heartbreaking—you, your family, and your country are in our prayers.

  • 8 years ago

    I second the Comtesse, once again,both in her sentiments and also want to add that I, too, miss your posts.

  • 8 years ago

    Me too, Nik.

  • 8 years ago

    There is now a huge wildfire in northern California near Redding where two firefighters have tragically lost their lives, many have lost their homes and thousands are being evacuated. I'm truly afraid of what humans and animals are facing in the coming years of continuing drought in so many parts of the world.

  • 8 years ago

    I can't like that one, Ingrid. How very sad.

  • 8 years ago

    It is a horrendous fire

    The firefighters said that they have never seen a fire behave like this one.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Sheila, I so understand. Kristine, I hope you don't live too close to the California border, and that the fire doesn't travel in your direction. If nothing else, the smoke and poor air quality will be difficult to take. Please take care.

  • 8 years ago

    It is very smoky again to day but life goes on and I still need to go out and water and deadhead but you just don't wanna do anything to strenuous.

    My heart goes out to the city of Redding, lives lost homes destroyed animals displaced and that is happening all around our rogue Valley as well it is also sad.

  • 8 years ago

    Kristine, I'm so sorry that you're also affected. Do stay inside as much as you can (and try not to watch the news).

  • 8 years ago

    I know, the news is so heartbreaking

  • 8 years ago

    Saw this on the news—-so very frightening! And just heart wrenching for these families. I hope everyone stays safe & well.