Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_686065280

updating a 1989 contemporary home exterior

8 years ago


Soft contemporary home build in 1989. Angled roof lines and matching angled siding in some sections as well as a half moon window over the front door/ porch date the home. It will always look contemporary but needs an update. Suggestions on changing the half moon window and angled siding, or roofing material over the porch perhaps? Front door is glass front with mullions. ( not sure how to spell that!).


Comments (17)

  • PRO
    8 years ago

    For the half moon window I would suggest replacing that with rectangular windows the same width as your other windows. For the angled siding areas, I would either go with horizontal siding or a thin brick/thin stone veneer.

    Ultimately I think the biggest reason the home looks dated is not these areas, but the monotone greenish gray color scheme. I think a repaint to more vibrant colors (plural) would make a big difference. For example you could paint the main wall areas at dark charcoal gray and the accent areas/window trim areas a cream or off white.

    Becky T thanked M Doshi
  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Yes I agree that the arched window should be replaced.

    Here are a couple of options for the stain. Some contemporary landscaping would enhance the home.

  • 8 years ago
    The arched window does not work with the angular lines of the house. Replace as the above poster suggested.
    I rather like the muted color of the house. So the only other thing I would suggest is to redo the overgrown landscaping. Good luck.
    Becky T thanked njay
  • 8 years ago

    I don't really mind the diagonal siding, I do prefer this style of front door for a contemporary home. You could take advantage of the sections and color block it, one color of gray, two shades apart, very dark, midtone and light. I would make the recessed entry the lightest color and darken the garage section. Both of these homes look more interesting to me than a solid color on the body of the home.

    The 2nd photo is one of my favourites, the colors are noted in the comments as front door is Sherwin Williams 6885 Knockout orange. Dark colored siding is SW 7047 Porpoise. The trim around doors , windows, and the gutters are SW 7049 Nuance. The panels are SW 7044 Amazing gray.

    East Seattle Mid Century Chic · More Info

    Exteriors · More Info

    Becky T thanked Bette P
  • 8 years ago
    Your home is visually appealing. It's contemporary and a nice looking example. I would embrace the style and not try to make it something it's not. The siding is visually appealing and emphasizes the contemporary style. Don't try to "remuddled" it!
    Becky T thanked c5loudy
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I live in your home's kissing cousin. Remove the arched window, replace with a triple rectangle. Develop a landscaping plan that compliments the style. IMO, because there is no other diagonal siding visible on the full frontal view, the diagonal siding on the right looks odd. I'd also remove the roof overhang on the far right, the "attempted symmetry" is not in keeping with this home's style. A deeper paint tone would be striking.

    Becky T thanked chiflipper
  • 8 years ago

    Thank you! I agree with all your points, especially glad someone else thinks the roof overhang on the right is odd.

  • 8 years ago

    I can see how some might find the half circle odd, though if this house was built around 1980, that was a strong trend and I wouldn't be surprised if there's some half circle business--fireplace?-- going on inside.


    The details listed as odd are thoughtful and intentional. You'll see the siding angles (with the exception of the entryway) mimic the roofline, The windows and overhangs on each side of the entry are the same, just at different elevations. The overhangs on the right balance the garage roof on the left.


    Obviously its cool if it's not to your taste, but I think if you start to alter these elements the house is going to start looking wonky really quick with the possible exception of the half moon window.




    Becky T thanked sheloveslayouts
  • 8 years ago

    I would not change a thing about this house except the color, which is fine now, and the half moon window. Any roof overhang is intentional and consistent throughout where ever there is a vertical beam.

    Becky T thanked houssaon
  • 8 years ago

    thank you -excellent point about the roof to the right window- it provides a nice balance as well as tying into the beams. Half moon window will go for sure, there are no other arches or

    curves anywhere in the house.

  • 8 years ago
    Am in agreement with most of the comments especially the arched window. No one has mentioned your front porch. It is hard to see the door. When considering your paint colors. Perhaps a contrasting or pop of color on the front door. Replace the lighting with large contemporary fixtures.
    Becky T thanked Kathleen
  • 8 years ago

    Thanks Kathleen- I didn’t take the shot head so the front door is difficult to see, especially with the Japanese maple in line of the shot. The door itself is more glass than door, and there are two side light windows flanking it-but I think a

    color would add a nice touch. Really thinking about going dark charcoal on the house with light trim, so the door will pop more. This site is so great, I love all the wonderful insights.

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    Great house. As others have noted the arched window is a miss, and the front door would be better with something simpler. I also prefer a monotone scheme for a house like this as usually the trim is not wide nor plentiful enough to paint in contrasting colors. The strength of this house is the forms not the individual pieces of trim.
    Becky T thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • PRO
    8 years ago

    You can change the front door color, now it blends too much with your house and probably it is hard to find it from the street. Your house is beautiful but for me, it is too much grey in color, it will be still a contemporary house if you add some other color on window trim and door. I think the white door and matching windows color will look amazing!

    Becky T thanked TheDoorsDepot
  • 8 years ago
    Love the charcoal with the addition of timber door and pergola etc
    Becky T thanked Irene Morresey
  • 8 years ago

    Great ideas! Thank you- the photos are very helpful as well.