nancyjwb

Dwarf vs. semi-dwarf fruit trees

nancyjwb
last year

Hi all, I need some advice.

I am working to create a large decorative vegetable garden, about 150’x75’, bordered by bushes on three sides and a stone retaining wall on one side. It will be laid out with beds in decorative shapes and I would like to plant some small fruit trees throughout to enhance the looks and provide fruit for fresh eating.

I want to keep these trees around 8-10 feet for maintenance and space reasons. Should I plant dwarf or semi-dwarf? I have read about summer pruning for size, but I don’t want to create a maintenance nightmare trying to keep semi-dwarf trees small. On the other hand, I live in Kansas, so we have hot, dry and windy summers, and I’m concerned about a dwarf tree not being vigorous enough. I don’t mind staking, and of course I will water, but I guess I’m concerned that a dwarf tree won’t thrive under these conditions.

Can you advise me? I’ve gone back and forth, depending on what I’ve read. Thank you!

Fairfield County Full Home Remodeling Best of Houzz 2014-2015