Software
Houzz Logo Print
akrayush

Help Needed With Old Deck

8 years ago
Hello!

We are in the process of redoing our old deck. When we started the process we realized that the previous owners had two layers of paint on the wood that we had to contend with.

Someone who claimed to be a deck builder/professional at the local hardware store suggested to us to just sand as best as we can and use the Behr deck-over stuff.

I have a couple of questions:

1. We've been sanding with 60 (and even 50) grit paper and a belt sander, and it's impossible to get to bare wood. We've gotten the loose paint off, but most of the old coating is still visible. Whatever they used last is not coming off. Is that ok for the new finish? Do we need to get to bare wood everywhere?

2. The Behr Deck Over stuff looks really good, and we've loved their indoor paints, but I'm seeing a lot of comments that the Deck Over product isn't great. What would you recommend in our situation? I don't want to do this all over again next year. My back can't handle it.

3. We had to replace some boards with new pressure treated ones, and we added new stairs/railings. We're going with a solid color since we still have the old paint to contend with. How long do we wait to make sure whatever we use goes on well on both surfaces? What do we do to the old wood we already sanded? We're in Michigan, so snow and apocalyptic cold is a concern if we have to wait a year.

Anything else we should consider (other that ripping the whole darn thing apart?)

Thank you!

Comments (14)

  • 8 years ago
    Ok, I has to look up Behr deckover, but it looks like paint. You didn't specify if your goal is staining or repainting. As it seems you already know, the new PT lumber you installed should dry out before painting. Not sure what the recommended duration is for Michigan. If you are painting, you don't need to get to bare wood.
  • 8 years ago

    Rip the whole thing apart. No deckover crapola. Ever. Decks should never be painted period. If someone made that mistake already, you’ll never recuperate from it. There isn’t enough time and effort in the world. Might as well replace it all.

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you for the replies so far. We've reconciled ourselves to the fact that we'll have to use solid/opaque paint. Stain in not in our future for the deck.

    We'd rather not rip it apart just yet. It's solid and we've got other projects going on that our remodeling budget is going towards.
  • 8 years ago

    Can you show us a picture of what you've got so far? I looked at the deckover stuff and it seems to be so thick that it might have a peeling issue....of course some of the reviews might be because of improper preparation...

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    If you are going to paint it, quit sanding and just paint it. It will buy you a couple of years if you pick a good quality exterior paint. Go to SW. Never Deckover or any box store idjut recommended crapola. That might get you 6 my months before peeling like a bad sunburn. Then it’d be even more work to fix that mistake.

  • 8 years ago
    Listen to Sophie. I just spent $3500 replacing deck flooring that I used Restore 10x on. We used Trex this time.
  • 8 years ago
    @pennydesign This is what it looks like right now. The less sanded portion is the part I haven't gotten to yet, but it gives a good view of all the different surfaces we're working with.

    If we don't end up going with the Deck Over, what is a good product that won't peel for a good long while?

    Thank you!
  • 8 years ago
    My neighbor and I both used deckover to cover poorly stained wood- neither if us would recommend (have to repaint every year after the winter has had its way with it).
  • 8 years ago
    Oh no! That looks like what we have. Do you sand before painting each time?
  • 8 years ago
    @Ann K yes we did! Cleaned and sanded. Now I just slap another coat on every summer until we can replace the deck completely...
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I'm afraid I can't help too much in the paint department...and this part of the forum is pretty quiet.. Can I suggest you post in the paint section? and cross post in home improvement..



  • 8 years ago

    It’s known as Dreckover by my long time painter’s son who inherited the business when Pops retired.

  • 8 years ago
    Thank you so much everyone! Really appreciate it.

    I didn't even know there was a paint section. I'll definitely cross-post.