Software
Houzz Logo Print
jc_7a_middletn

Help me plan for Spring 2019

8 years ago

I know it's way too early.

But this is the dreaded stretch between the end of college baseball and the start of college football. I need to otherwise occupy myself.


I'm going to use this thread to keep track of everything I want to do with the yard next spring (possibly this fall?).


I have several locations around the yard that I'm working with, but I only have 2 "beds" in the traditional sense. Large foundation beds and one 10x5 bed at the corner of the lot. Every other rose I have is planted against a fence or wall to try and soften corners and hide the unnatural privacy fence.

Keep in mind also, that I am TERRIBLE with color coordination so suggestions are welcomed.


So the first area I'm looking at is this corner of the backyard where the fence meets the house.

I'll add pictures in the next post.

The thing in the corner is actually my 2 Hot-N-Spicy climbers and 2 scraggly Olympiads.

For that reason, I was thinking red, but open to suggestions. I'd like to cover the rest of the fence towards the house and could fit 1-2 more against the brick if need be.


For this area, symmetry is my concern. I don't know how I would use a different color and keep the look balanced at the same time.



What would you put here?





Comments (14)

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Here’s the corner I’m referring to.

    The two climbers are on the trellis’ and off to the right of the climbers are the two Olympiads.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Jim, that's a lot better than I could have ever done, ha.

    That does make me think that it doesn't HAVE to be red though.

    What colors could I put in the same vicinity as those reds? Cream? Purple? Blush?


    I made a mistake and have Love Song, Apricot Candy, and Fragrant Cloud in the same bed.

    I'm afraid it would give small children seizures if they look directly at it.

  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Nothing like a blank slate and this is a good time to consider plans for next year. So you would like red climbers ? I would do a pair of red and then let your symmetry go after that . I enjoy very much my lady in red climbers. The color is really nice and blooms last a long time. I have heard great things about Florentina too but mine hasn’t bloomed yet .

    For color schemes that appeal to you , id look on Pinterest or I even get some great ideas from Instagram. Or you don’t need a scheme , if you love bright colors you could always tie them together with white annuals or perrenials mixed in . Find a nice birdbath too , and put up a sunflower seed ( the mixed seed is terrible for weeds ) feeder as they’ll come and eat up some bad bugs as well as entertain. A honeysuckle vine would be nice too to attract hummers .

    For fall you could lay out your new beds , kill the grass and work on composting during winter too .

    Basically when my garden shuts down I spend time looking for inspiration online and hunting down piecsss I want for my garden ( swing , benches, birdbath.. but that’s my style and maybe not yours ) .

    Make a wish list of roses here and research the heck out of them too. To avoid impulse purchases.

    edit to add : if you think you made too bold choices now , you are still early in the game to pitch what you don’t like and get on a color path you prefer. Without sounding harsh bc I do not mean it that way at all and I’m totally guilty of it , it’s sounds like you bought what caught your eye in excitement and now are wondering how to make it all blend . White and pinks next to reds are what I use as a transition to the next color . White is such a good buffer!!

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • 8 years ago

    I'm not sure if it needs to be a climber exactly. I don't think I like HTs though. They seem to need more TLC than the others. I was thinking floribunda, shrub, or noisette.

    Maybe a couple of red/pink/cream floribundas, then a different color noisette to let run over and through them all.



    Lily, I am already thinking about what I will do when the Bermuda grass goes dormant! I think I'm going to lay down cardboard where I want a flower bed. Then I'll dump some of those massive amounts of woodchips I have on top. Hopefully it will compost all winter.



    I like working in the yard, so planning stuff is enjoyable.


  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I have a wishlist going on HMF right now.

    I also want something really vigorous to cover this ~100ft fenceline.

    Thinking New Dawn but haven't done much research yet.

  • 8 years ago

    That is so pretty , and wonderful that the sun sets in your back yard. That was my husbands request when we bought a house . Must have good sunset! Lol

    we have Bermuda too. Make sure you kill it with roundup first. Cardboard will not smother it out . I had husband lay cardboard and bags of chips the spring I was pregnant. All it did was kill the weeds and the Bermuda came up even nicer right through the mulch . It was terrible!

    Planning is fun , especially the ordering part :)

  • 8 years ago

    Not that you don’t have enough to worry about but have you considered how high and wide those trees are going to get over the coming years???? My neighbor in back planted a Christmas tree about 6 or so feet from our dividing fence. It is now about 30 feet high and 15 feet wide hanging into our yard.

    Bermuda is the grass from Hell. Either learn to live with it or move…..grrrrrr As Lilyfinch says cardboard won’t contain it. You may try digging a trench around your beds but even that won’t stop it.

    Just my 2 cents….. Have fun.

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked toolbelt68
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Toolbelt, I don’t think I will be in this house 3 years from now so the trees aren’t a concern for me- just whoever buys it next! I knowingly planted them for quick return instead of long term viability.

    I have trenched 2 beds that are doing well keeping the Bermuda out. It’s not 100% but it’s manageable.

    I do not want Bermuda again haha

  • 8 years ago

    Putting a thick plastic barrier over grass supposedly kills the grass and turns it into lovely soil. That might be worth a try.

    I'm sorry, but knowingly buying trees that will look good for the short time you'll be there and leaving them as a serious problem for the next unlucky person does seem rather shabby. We're all in this together, or at least I'd like to think so.

  • 8 years ago

    Don't use Roundup! It's cancerogenous; they are working to ban glysophates here in Europe, thank Heaven.

    I think it would be nice to mix some different colours in your scheme as well,both with roses and perennials. Though personally I'm not too good with reds and oranges, I can't help but think that the gentle, sweet mauvy-lilac of Hesperis matronalis (Dame's Rocket) mixed in would help make the transition from those bright, bright colours to some softer -colured roses. And Dame's rocket is really, really easy to grow as well.

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked User
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    No need to be sorry Ingrid, I absolutely understand what you are thinking.

    I have 2 trees that might* become a problem 10 years from now. I’m not worried because no one will wake up one day and suddenly realize they are too big. Unless they are rumplestiltskin!


    To the point toolbelt made, they won’t be large enough to create shade for several more years.

  • 8 years ago

    Dont be too sure about that. We planted the same trees and in 4 years they practically took over

    You have much more room than we did though and they are lovely but give them plenty of room.

    I would love to have that huge blank canvas.

    I have lots of red roses and I broke mine up with Rock and Roll and All American Magic. Personally, I love pink and red.

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • 8 years ago

    Just my personal opinion, but I think yellow looks nice with red, and would also look nice with the white fence. If you want to soften the colors, a yellow that fades (like Julia Child) would be softer than a bright yellow that keeps it color, but I think either would work.

    jc_7a_MiddleTN thanked cyndita (west coast zone 9)