Software
Houzz Logo Print
xclusive

Dining Room Total Makeover

8 years ago

Helping my mom redo her DR and was wanting to possibly get some recommendations or ideas. Her style is a mix of traditional and eclectic. So far planned is:


1. Crown molding

2. Raised panel picture molding from baseboard up to the crown molding

3. 4-4in recessed lights on dimmer

4. Engineered hardwood floor

5. Area rug under current table

6. Two rectangular pictures on the small walls of the bay windows.


I was thinking of painting everything white and having the pictures and other accessories add splashes of color to the room. I've attached some pics of items we were thinking about going with along as some inspiration pictures as well. I will be doing all of the work.

Any suggestions, recommendations, I wouldn't do that, etc. gladly accepted.


Thanks













Comments (12)

  • 8 years ago

    I wouldn't do number 6. Those walls are too small for art. I would reserve art for either of the large walls. Art is so personal, but my opinion of the purple rug and art is there are better selections available. What is her style?

    xclusive thanked rcarterworld
  • 8 years ago

    She is more eclectic. She loves purple and was trying to find some pics that would bring purple into the room since it will be primarily white.

  • PRO
    8 years ago


    Like this with wainscoting below a chair rail.






    xclusive thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • 8 years ago

    That's quite a small area. Looks like the dining set is already overlapping into an adjoining space. Does she want the room to feel larger or is she looking for cozier? Does she entertain six for meals more than twice a year? Most do that at the big holidays and then the room remains unused for the remainder of the year. Would she get more use out of the space if designated for a dual purpose with a drop leaf table? Since a rug under the table should be 36-42" bigger than the table all around and not run into walls, you should do some measuring before she gets her heart set on a rug for that room.


    xclusive thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 8 years ago

    Of all the places I prefer carpet or rugs a dining room isn't one of them. Do you find her table/chairs comfortable to eat at? It appears one could not get close enough w/o knocking knees. Before you jewelry up the room I would makes sure it is functional. As stated it is a small room. Much on your list will only serve to make it feel more closed in.

    xclusive thanked arcy_gw
  • 8 years ago

    The table she wants so that will be used, everything else is up for debate. She doesn’t use 6 chairs every night but they are used at least once a month for family gatherings.

  • 8 years ago

    It doesn't look THAT tiny to me. How wide is the room?

    xclusive thanked rcarterworld
  • 8 years ago

    The DR is 10 x 12

  • PRO
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    Some idea

    Gehan Homes

    xclusive thanked Celery. Visualization, Rendering images
  • 8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

    I'm a big believer of decorating around the function of a room first and foremost. I cannot see the flooring very well, but it appears that the dining room is the one space that does have wall to wall carpeting? I have the same situation in my house, and until we are up for redoing the floors in there, I'm stuck with it. You say you're doing a total redo, but I'm wondering if the floor is in the mix? I say that because one way to add a "pop of color" to a neutral room is with a snazzy rug. I'm not a fan of rugs under and eating table from a functional perspective, but it is a fairly common decorating convention. So just tossing it out there, but I understand if you're stuck with the carpeting, I am for now in my house as well. My dining room is similar to yours.

    Not sure how the dining room relates to the cooking space, so not sure if you need a serving buffet in there. A lot of dining rooms open up to kitchen areas (mine does) so in the interest of keeping things airy and spacious, I wouldn't add something like that if not needed. But if needed, you could put a small narrow table like a parson's table against one wall. I have a narrow commode in my dining room, which holds our bar and some linens and board games inside. But not necessary.

    As for the art, my issue is that I have so much art practically every blank space in my house if full of it, but that's not a look for everyone. Nothing wrong with a more spacious feel with just a few decorative pieces. My dining room is similar to yours, open with a huge window on one end and open to the rest of the house (living room in particular) on the other end. The window wall doesn't necessarily need anything competing with the view. If it were me, I would not put a large decorative or floral thing on the floor, but rather put a small pedestal or credenza in the bay window area and put either a plant or arrangement on top of that. The reasoning being that at night, when there was no view, that would give people something to look at when sitting on the end of the table. We use our dining room table all the time and tall centerpieces make it awkward for people to see across the table when they are sitting at the table, so I have just low stuff on my table in the center and if I get a big floral bouquet I sit it at the end of the table.

    Like I said, my walls are crammed full of stuff so I have some antique decorative ceramic wall figurines and a little shelf unit with some additional antique ceramic figurines on it next to my big windows. That would be an option, some little shelves with bases matching your table with something on them. But I wouldn't go out and buy something like that unless I had some long standing desire for ceramic tchotchkes. Wall sconces would also serve a function at night when there was no view out the window. A artsy clock is another option with both a practical and decorative function.

    As for the long walls, that's where your art can go, for folks to look at while sitting at the table sides. I love the look of wainscoting in there, but again I can understand if you don't have that in the budget or plan. However, you could create some interest with paint or wallpaper if you are so inclined, like using a faux suede or grasscloth wallpaper on the bottom and framing it with a chair rail. I have that look in my master bath (again I inherited it) but I quite like it. That would be another way to add some subtle color and interest.

    Lastly you could splurge for having the end chairs covered in purple velvet or even having chair covers made.

    xclusive thanked l pinkmountain