Software
Houzz Logo Print
chaitu_24

Help choosing cabinet colors for kitchen

Hi all - Attached are the pictures of my kitchen. You will quickly see that light is pouring in from the right side (which is the west and breakfast nook).However the left corner is a little dark throughout the day. Functionally this kitchen works for us and I do not have the budget to replace the granite. So I am looking for help with choosing colors that go with the existing granite. Couple of things to note:

1. Granite type: Tan brown

2. Looking for a two- tone theme where upper cabinets are lighter (preferably white or off white) and lower cabinets + island are darker (grey, turquoise or navy)

3. We bought a pre-owned home and the backsplash is new. That being said, I am flexible with replacing the backsplash.

4. I am also getting the tiles cleaned and re-grouted with a white/gray grout instead of the darker grout it currently has.

5. Idea is to stick with satin nickel finish for the hardware. I would love to go bold with brass or gold champagne, but not feeling gutsy. :)


Hope I am on the right path. Please pour in your color suggestions. It would be helpful to have the brand names too (Sherwin williams, Benjamin Moore etc).It seems to be a hard task.


Thanks for all the help.


Chaitanya



Comments (10)

  • 7 years ago

    Do you have a color board or color samples that you liked?

  • 7 years ago

    Here are a couple of color schemes I liked. Not sure how they will sit in my kitchen.

    First pic: Bottom ones are Refuge by Sherwin Williams.

    Second pic: Bottom again in Wrought iron by Benjamin Moore

    I am yet to get these home and try in my lighting. In both cases, I need to pick the right shade of white. Currently trim across the home is extra white by Sherwin williams.

    Thank you

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Your floors appear beige-pink on my monitor.

    The floor tends to limit your colors somewhat.

    Benjamin Moore Flint af-560 cabinets and Benjamin Moore Barren Plain 211-60 on the lower wood-planked walls will definitely work. Here are both of these colors with a lighter gray on the upper wall in the photo below (Benjamin Moore Secret af-710)



    This color could work with your floor. Its Farrow & Ball paint; the equivalent Benjamin Moore is Barren Plain 211-60


  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Here is another scene. The white walls over the range are in BM Night Mist 1569 and the blue island in BM Yorktown Green hc-133


  • 7 years ago
    Thank you!
  • 7 years ago
    Your backsplash is very busy and so is the granite countertop. My suggestion is to remove backsplash tile entirely and just paint the wall. You only need a backsplash above the cooktop to protect the wall from sauce splashes and grease spots, and back of your cooktop is already tall enough to do that. If you must do a backsplash, just do a simple one between cooktop and microwave and paint the rest of the walls.

    Your floor looks tan and countertop looks black with tan patches. I agree with above post that you need to choose cab paint and handles to complement existing floor and granite. More on tan/beige color scale rather than gray for upper cabs and walls. More on antique gold or matte black color scale rather than nickel for handles.

    The lighter the floor grout, the more maintenance it will need to stay clean.
  • 7 years ago
    If you like SW Refuge for lower cabs and island, the SW color snap app suggests Casa Blanca white for the uppers. Similar look to your inspiration photo, but as you wrote above, you need to see both colors in your lighting.
  • 7 years ago
    Burnished gold, antique gold cab handles and drawer pulls. Your inspiration photos have pricy handles. If replacing single hole knob on uppers with two hole bar-style pull, you will need to drill the second hole.
  • 7 years ago
    @goluscombe: I like the BM scheme from the first picture. I will get the samples for flint and barren white. Thanks a lot for this.
    @marylut: thanks for the sample picture. I didnt know we could do that on sherwin williams website. I will try and play around with colors.
    I agree with the backsplash and antique gold suggestions. I will let go of the current backsplash and bring in something simple like subway tile and do gold finish on pulls and knobs.
    On the grout - since you mentioned maintenance, i will probably get it cleaned and resealed.

    thanks for all your suggestions.