0

Can anyone ID this Dahlia?

prairiemoon2 z6 MA
October 14, 2018

I just bought one stem of this Dahlia at a Farm Stand and I just love it. I'd like to grow it, if I knew which variety it is. Anyone?

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

the white one??? .... lol ...

i dont understand.. you just have a cut flower.. and want to ID it ....???

rather than wanting to know how to store a tuber for winter.. etc .... ken

ps: i have a feeling you might be told there ten of thousands of named Ds ... and perfecting an individual ID will be hard ...

prairiemoon2 z6 MA thanked ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
  • zen_man

" I just bought one stem of this Dahlia at a Farm Stand and I just love
    it. I'd like to grow it, if I knew which variety it is. Anyone? "

Did you ask about the variety at the Farm Stand ?

• prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Hi, yes I asked, and was told they didn't grow it a supplier did.

But, no worries. I get what Ken is saying. A white Dahlia, there must be a ton of white Dahlias. I think I will call the Farm Stand back and ask for the name of the supplier and try that.

Thank you! I'll let you know if I find out.

• Sue Green

Yes, that twill be most helpful. For the future Plant identification takes into consideration many things such as plant stem, roots, leaves, shape, size, and flowers.

prairiemoon2 z6 MA thanked Sue Green
  • ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

whats so precious about this specific one??? .. that you need this specific plant????

if you have no luck.. try just scrolling thru something like at the link.. and finding a named pic ...

also .. measure this flower for size ... i am sure.. that is an important variable .... since Ds come in all sizes ...

btw.. one other thought ... if this is a florist flower ... it might not be a good garden variety ... with some flowers .. it makes a big difference ....

ken

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=white+dahlia&t=ffcm&ia=images&iax=images

• prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Thanks, I did measure it, it's 7 inches across. I took a look at your link and I see there are a couple of photos that look like it, but are not marked. I don't grow dahlias because they are not hardy here and I don't have the right conditions in the house to overwinter the tubers. But once in awhile I'll pick up a tuber at the end of season sale at half price and just use it as an annual. I didn't realize there were so many white dahlias that look like this.

I just looked at B&B and they didn't have one that looks like it and here's the page at Swan Island and the closest I can see to the one I have is Iceberg but that one is 12" across. A little bigger than I want. This one seems to be the right size. And it has a nice pronounced center and the petals while symmetrical like most dahlias, has a little bit looser habit, making it look less stiff and formal.

Swan Island Dahlias - white

So, I'll try to get the name, when I have a chance, but, I'll keep looking for a good white one. Thanks. :-)

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b

Hi Prariemoon. That's a pretty bloom that you found. Dahlias are such rewarding plants. Here's my snowbound dahlia that I ordered from swan island last spring. It was a late bloomer, but I did have some insect troubles this summer. This one is supposed to be 9 inch. across, but my first blooms seem to be closer to 6 inches. The plant itself is about 3.5 ft. Good luck on your search! Tiffany

prairiemoon2 z6 MA thanked Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
  • prairiemoon2 z6 MA

I found a photo of 'Snowbound'. That's pretty too. Thanks for sharing. Must be nice to grow in zone 9b. :-). You must be able to leave Dahlias in the ground year round.

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>For some reason, the picture isn't showing up in my post? I'm trying again...Yes, I do leave them in the ground, but I remember my Dad telling me when he used to help his Dad plant dahlia tubers ever early summer in Minnesota and they'd dig them all up at the end of the season. That does sound like a lot of work, but these flowers definitely are special
  • prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Now I see it! That is really pretty. I definitely like it better than the one I had. Nice. Thanks.

• Tiffandrew-So.CA/9b
    Thanks Prairiemoon! I'm in research mode for a few new varieties to add to the garden next year. So many gorgeous options!
  • sw_gardener

I used to work as a florist and specific varieties are grown by commercial suppliers. We were given a chart saying what's available so a local florist may know. The Karma series has a couple white varieties and 'Boom Boom' is also popular. Hope this helps.

• prairiemoon2 z6 MA

Thank you, I will look for that too... :-)