Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stringweaver

front load washer and cats

stringweaver
5 years ago

I have a new washer ready to install. Directions say to leave the door open to air out between uses. is there a gadget that keeps the door open enough to air out, but not wide enough for a cat to crawl in?

Comments (15)

• dadoes
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Just don't latch it, that's open enough. And pull the dispenser drawer slightly ajar.

stringweaver thanked dadoes
  • stringweaver
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I haven't pulled off the tape yet, to play with it, but if it isn't latched, couldn't the cat pull the door open? Fig is still a teen, he gets into everything.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

Ya... best to find a way to prop it open so it won't close if kitty does crawl in. Just check it before doing laundry.

stringweaver thanked mamapinky0
  • mainenell
    5 years ago
    My LG has an ajar position that is magnetic.
    stringweaver thanked mainenell
  • Rita
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Check out the “Laundry Lasso” on Amazon. ($14.99) i haven’t ordered it yet, I’m waiting to see if new LG FL has an option built in. No cats, just wanted to have an option of not leaving it wide open as you see it from the kitchen.

stringweaver thanked Rita
  • mamapinky0
    5 years ago

For those that dont want to leave it wide open just hang a kitchen towel over the washers door.

stringweaver thanked mamapinky0
  • stringweaver
    Original Author
    5 years ago

thanks all, the door doesn't swing easily but I could still see Fig getting in. I'm not worried about washing him, I don't want him lounging in there and shedding. If I tossed laundry in on him, he would let me know!

my new one is an LG all in one washer/dryer combo.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

"StringWeaver: my new one is an LG all in one washer/dryer combo."

This is a true combo machine which functions as both a washer and dryer in the single drum ... so there shouldn't be any residual water in the door boot or clinging to the drum and outer tub after a wash-and-dry load. A small amount will remain in the pump sump and hoses since *no washer* can drain 100% of the water.

The user guide cycle description indicates that some cycles don't provide for using the dry function, and it's not clear if dry can be run as a separate cycle.

It'd be interesting to have a report from you after a year+ of use on whether mold/odor is or is not a problem.

(This link may become outdated if/when LG changes the layout of their web site)

LG Washer-Dryer Combos

stringweaver thanked dadoes
  • stringweaver
    Original Author
    5 years ago

yes, dry can be run independently from the wash cycle. The dryer load capacity is about half that of the wash cycle. Since I intend to hang dry at least some loads there will be times when there is residual moisture in the drum and the manual states the door should remain open between uses.

We have had one at my work place for about 2 years. It doesn't get used often, but we've been happy with it and have had no problems. It's been used to wash some very dirty bee suits, as well as a sterilizing cycle for lab coats. I haven't noticed a smell from it, but I'm not in that room often.

I'll definitely be happy to report on it after 6 months and a year plus of use.

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

A sterilizing cycle? Or is it sanitize?

• mamapinky0
    5 years ago

I'd also do some checking on the temp for sanitize since *lab coats* are involved. I'd almost bet the temp is at or below tap hot.

• stringweaver
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ah, might be sanitize...extra hot and long I believe.

• twebbz
    5 years ago

My washer is two feet away from the cat box. Leaving the door open an inch still looks like it's closed to them. My cats have never been interested.

• User
    5 years ago

Google on WasherFan for a solution to mold and mildew and odors. 100% effective on my LG Front Loader. It has become expensive to purchase.

stringweaver thanked User