Software
Houzz Logo Print
smurphy1231

kitchen color scheme dilemma

7 years ago

Looking for suggestions on how to finish up this renovation. Unsure of the blue/gray walls now and feeling the look is a bit busy? Building the kitchen island soon and not sure if I should match or go with contrasting color? There will be an exposed ceiling beam running from sink (stainless hood vent to be installed) across room where it will meet a sliding pantry door. the chairs and pillows at breakfast nook are only temporary. I want to stay with a light, flowy feel...I think I am getting away from that and looking too farmhouse-ish..ugh...all suggestions appreciated!

Comments (13)

  • 7 years ago

    looks good. you wall color looks periwinkle in the photos. It's a nice shade, but it does look a little on the cool side. rather then choose a gray, why not go for something else? Pale Oak is nice. or a soft sage green.


    for you island, what about a deep blue with a butcher block?





    i love this blue color


    or Black would work too.



  • 7 years ago
    Thanks for looking! I do love the navy and/or butcher block top. I am working way too hard in the wrong direction around this wall color! Thinking it is time to cave and have repainted...
  • 7 years ago

    I'm unsure what is meant by "flowy," but can you bring up a warm tone from he floor for the island base and same top as the rest?

    What directions do the windows face in each room?

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    what if you did the walls in black, above the shiplap?


    Or, around your eat in nook, perhaps like this. take the shiplap all the way up, do white, and paint the trim around door/window in black


    instead of that huge clock, replace with art.

    I also like the black above all the shiplap.


    In you family room, do Pale Oak. Look how good it looks w/the black and white.


  • 7 years ago
    White appliances would have been a wiser choice.
  • 7 years ago
    I think the stainless appliances were the "wiser" choice. Looks great!
  • 7 years ago

    Like your space.


    Not a fan of the tiny round rug beneath the table -- edge is likely in the way of moving the chairs.


    Are you planning window treatments for the windows? Would likely add white mini blinds within the window frames for privacy and light control.


    You might also consider adding a wood cornice above each set of windows and any space in between not taken by the hood for the stove in order to hide recessed lights that can shine downward without adding a glare to the room.


    Will your island be a bar w/stool seating on the dog food dish side? Will it have plumbing/wiring that is already roughed in? Otherwise, unless you need the room for stools, consider lining up your island with your refrigerator (making it a movable free standing island) or even choose one of the wheeled kitchen cart islands available and/or wheeled tables that could even be rolled outside when you BBQ and/or entertain outdoors.


    Would definitely consider a contrasting color for the island if you're wanting a specific vibe and feel you're moving away from that toward a more farmhouse vibe you don't want. You could paint your light hiding cornice the same color if you don't want it your window trim white..

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    smurphy- will your sofa fit on the wall directly across from fireplace? in front of the window isn't the best choice. Put the larger chair over in the corner by the window and move the sofa.

    set it up similar to how it's shown in this picture:

    ignore the tall lamps and the second chair.

    your fireplace may look a bit better w/this type of trim work and a thicker wood mantel

    your drapes are obviously too long which is why they look so crumpled. since you like flow-y, try something like this w/the woven wood blinds

    or just the woven blinds, like here:

    if you still want drapes, try doing just one on each like here. it will look less crowded.

    some other color choices

  • 7 years ago
    I appreciate all of the comments! Any of the rugs, curtains and decor you see are older items I threw around to try and get ideas..none of them will be staying! the couch is now across from fireplace. I am really liking all of the inspiration! leaning towards painting walls a lighter, more neutral shade so it will be easier to incorporate pops of color and a darker island. Also black hardware for sliding door and curtain rods.
  • 7 years ago

    You have so many wonderful suggestions that I am loving. I Second many of BethH's ideas. I would say don't be afraid to be bold. I know you are a neutral girl at heart, I am too and it can be scary to try something different and come out of our comfort zone. Sometimes going out on a limb with a bit of bold color Black or Navy or whatever will bring it all together. Whatever you do decide your space is gorgeous!



    I have one minor idea, I am dog fan and I see those adorable dog bowls and thought of this...



    Seaside whimsy in Centerville, MA · More Info



    Rancho Santa Fe, California · More Info




    Randolph Residence · More Info


  • 7 years ago
    Love!!!!
  • 7 years ago
    I would put a color on the walls and ceiling...not anything gray. The floor is already a lot of gray. And I would add a runner rug along the sink cabinet...also not gray.