Software
Houzz Logo Print
scott_pingeton

What’s up with my shutters?

7 years ago
We love our original 1920 shutters. But what’s up with the 2 middle windows on the 2nd floor? The shutters obviously wouldn’t cover the window.

Was this how it was originally or were 2 shutters removed at some point?

Comments (13)

  • PRO
    7 years ago

    Looks original, I guess this is how they did it in those days and I don't think they used the shutters to cover the windows, just for show as part of the design..

  • 7 years ago
    Interesting! Didn’t know they did that kind of thing 100 years ago.
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    I doubt those are the original shutters. There may well have been NO shutters at all and an owner added them at some time.

  • 7 years ago

    Maybe you could paint the space between the upper windows white so they seem to match the windows on the first floor (which also make no sense with shutters)...

  • PRO
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    They appear to have proper hinges and shutter dogs, which would suggest they are functional. If they are functional, the 2 middle windows and all other windows with shutters to one side, will have two shutter panels, one hinged upon the other, much like a bi-fold door. The house was not designed with shutters in mind.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    So at the turn of the 22nd Century, someone will be posting [in Mandarin] how they are in love with these original shutters, so signifying the North American Neo-eclectic style all the rage in that distant era.

    Address withheld.

  • 7 years ago
    The shutters are functional, but definitely not folding. The shutter dogs are definitely OLD, but no idea if the shutters were original or added at some point...we are considering removing them when we repaint the house though
  • PRO
    7 years ago

    IMO the bottom shutters are all wrong and those 2 windows with those silly shutters are just that.I think removing the shutters and widening the trim around the windows would be a much better look and if getting new windows foreget the grids

  • 7 years ago

    All of those shutters, individually and together, look silly to me. I'd remove them and trim the windows out appropriately.


    I'd be surprised if any of those shutters were there in the 1920's. At least on those windows. Are the main level windows original 1920's? They don't seem like it. Similarly, the center windows over the portico would typically have been much smaller. Historically a house would have been designed so that all or most major windows had functioning shutters. It'd not be unusual to not have shutters on some smaller or odd-shaped windows but the major windows would have had them (depending on geography and orientation).


    If those windows and ill fitting shutters are 1920's originals then they seem well ahead of their time.


  • PRO
    7 years ago
    This was very common in my area in the turn of the century neighborhoods. All houses had shutters (I’m in the south where many houses got closed up in the summer while the owners escaped north). The second shutter was folded behind the visible one. This doubles the weight on the hinges and stresses the shutter so with time often they were thrown away.
  • 7 years ago

    @Hallett, are those main level windows original to 1920's? I didn't think doubles like that, other than bays, started appearing until late 1930's?

  • 7 years ago

    Looks all original to me. Decorative shutters and paired up windows on colonial revivals are as old as the style itself (1900s and early 1910s). I have several in my neighborhood like this as well. The style of the shutters is right for the time period too. If you are interested in authenticity I would not remove them. Shutters stopped being functional on any house except for coastal areas after the turn of the century. The revival styles are more about recreating looks than function. I know the shutter purists hate to hear this but nonfunctional shutters have been around longer than any of us have been alive.

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Franklin Cnty OH