Software
Houzz Logo Print
decker11

bathroom/closet layout-help!

7 years ago
We are building and the current master/bathroom layout is attached. The closets seem really inefficient to me. Thoughts on how to make the bathroom/closets more efficient? The bathroom is smallish but do-able...but if I could get it to be a better space (natural light anyone) that would be awesome. Maybe this is as good as it gets?

Comments (13)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Can you move the windows to the east wall and put the bed opposite the entry door? Proven better more restful and secure sleep that way. Then you could flank the entry door with closets and get a little more room in that small looking bath. If the closet in that bottom bedroom could move to another location you could open the sitting area a bit and have the master bedroom door more centered in the room so the closets would be balanced on each side of it and the bed would center on the wall.

    Kim thanked decoenthusiaste
  • 7 years ago

    The house only has 8’ setbacks on the side (houses are close together-beach community) so no “view” other than out the back. I will Have to think about that Idea.

  • 7 years ago

    Well, consider two windows on the north wall that would flank the bed, with the two closets as I suggested which would be on the south wall flanking the entry.


    Master Bedroom Office Suite · More Info

    Traditional Beach | Ocean Boulevard · More Info

  • 7 years ago
    Per the notes on my plan, i believe inside walls are measured to the center of the wall. Outside walls are measured from the full outside point. (So in my 24’ total house width there is included 6” of framing on each side of the house for internal maximum width of 23’.) all the ideas are appreciated. I find myself gravitating to the drawing that has just one large closet. That seems to me to be more efficient than having two separate closets. I should also mention this is a vacation house that will be rented when we are not here. I don’t really need closet space for myself/renters, but need a decent amount for resale someday.
  • 7 years ago
    If it helps, here is the whole upstairs. I could steal the sitting area but we are trying to have pretty equal personal space for everyone and I was planning for that to be shared space upstairs...
  • 7 years ago

    The hallway between closets is a waste of space. I like Karen's 1st option best...

  • 7 years ago
    I am thinking decos idea of moving the bed might make the most sense. (And allow me a few extra inches of bathroom space if I want it.
  • 7 years ago

    Adjust your plan and see what you think. It is a better option than you have now.

  • 7 years ago

    for sure....

  • 7 years ago

    I like Karen’s first plan. Assuming you have a great view out the back and you’d like to maintain the wall of windows. If you leave the bed where you originally showed it you could add some clerestory windows for additional light on that wall.

  • 7 years ago
    I didn’t know they were called clerestory windows, but they are a great idea!
  • 7 years ago

    Clerestory windows won't help you see the view, but they can be practical if you want light coming in the east wall but no view of your neighbors.

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars34 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz