Your shopping cart is empty.

Is it worth fertilizing my tomatoes at this time?

ahappy camper zone10
November 16, 2018

I'm wondering if I can get one final fruit push out of my tomatoes before it gets too cold. Sources I have read say that fruiting features nighttime temperatures between 55 and 75 and here in San Diego, our nights are at 55 give or take a few degrees lower or higher. The tomatoes are already well established with tons of greenery. Should I even bother fertilizing with something that can encourage fruit or should i just save it for next season? Thanks.

Comments (4)
  • daninthedirt (USDA 8a, HZ10, Cent TX)

Your tomatoes are already "pushing". Fertilizer will help them do that. In your zone, without freezes, nothing will stop them entirely. In principle, tomatoes are perennials. Blossom drop happens if nighttime temps get below 55F. So if you get a few nights without those low temps, you'll still get fruit. The blossoms are only viable for a few days in the first place. So in your winter climate, you'll probably lose some blossoms, and others will set fruit.

ahappy camper zone10 thanked daninthedirt (USDA 8a, HZ10, Cent TX)
  • digdirt2

It would depend on the fertilizer used IMO. Why push now for even more greenery with nitrogen? Triggering a new growth spurt will only slow current fruit production if you aren't careful.

Dave

ahappy camper zone10 thanked digdirt2
  • ahappy camper zone10

Thank you gentleman.

Dave, I was going to use either phosphorous, potassium instead of nitrogen which from what I understand, puts out green growth

• Humsi

San Diego area here too. I typically fertilize the tomatoes I'm planning on overwintering in September/October when I pull the tomatoes I'm not overwintering. If you haven't fertilized since summer, it can't hurt. Here's hoping we get some good winter BLT tomatoes if nothing else ;)

Need help with a Houzz order? Call us at 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun)