Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
qz0g40

Where to Start??

Mary McKenna
5 years ago

I have to apologize first for the condition of my guest room. It is the dump room. I put it together with bits and pieces of other people's stuff.

Please tell me what you would do with this room. I know it could be very nice, but can't see through all the stuff.

I took the pictures going around the room, starting with the bed, left to the dormer window, left to wall with wicker desk (ugh), and left again until getting back to the bed.

I am willing to get rid of things and buy new:)

The rug is a beautiful dark red oriental that has been sitting in this room forever because I can't seem to get rid of it (either by selling or donating). The chair and ottoman was a mistake. The drop leaf table was Mom's. What can I say...

The corner cabinet was Mom's :). And, yes, I like to read.

You can just see part of the wicker desk that the books are stacked on.

Next wall is blank and hosts a 3 drawer chest that I like, (50.00) at a consignment shop. I don't know

The door leads to nice wall in closet! Cart was mother-in-law's. The lamp is brass and I threw away the lamp shade (damaged). Don't know.

Comments (20)

• J J
    5 years ago
    Following
  • junco East Georgia zone 8a
    5 years ago

Before reading your post, my first thought was "what a nice chair and ottoman". Why do you feel it is a mistake? You need a place for your books. Can you put the corner cabinet in another room and put several shelf units along that wall? I don't see a good place for the wicker desk, but I like the rest of the pieces. How big is the rug? Get it in place and then get some curtains for the window. Find a new shade for the lamp. You will have a very nice library/guest room.

Mary McKenna thanked junco East Georgia zone 8a
  • geo55
    5 years ago

The furniture is not the problem. You have to decide the mood you want to create and choose a color scheme. I would start with paint and coordinated bedding and window treatments. If you are going to keep the rug, put it down and draw colors from that. After that, adding side tables with lamps and a headboard will make a big difference.

• partim
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

First you need to be clear on how you want to use the room. Sounds like it will still be a guest bedroom. How many guests? Long or short term stays? (this determines how much guest storage you need) How will they spend their time in the room - sleeping only? Or reading? Watching TV? Socializing?

Do you want a secondary use as a reading room for yourself, or some other use? A storage place for sentimental items and furniture?

Once you've got this decided, look at each piece of furniture to decide whether it is functional for how you will use the room.

As far as style, put together some pictures to give you an idea for the style of the room. Do the furniture you have work together to further this style? Then you'll be well on your way to deciding what to keep and what to replace.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

So, you know the answer. Remove the stuff and roll out the rug. Let's see if it has possibilities for guiding the room's direction. Will it be the guest room, or do you have other ideas?

• Mary McKenna
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank all of you for your suggestions.

I am removing everything in the room, except the bed. I think the rug will work if I put it partially under the bed. Since the rug has dark red in it, I think I'll leave the wall paint color as is. I'll keep the red dresser and find a mirror for it. Something will have to be done with the ceiling fan.

• hollybar
    5 years ago

Sounds like you are making a good start,fellow reader! The rug should look fine and start to set the tone in the room. Makes choosing bedding easier. If you can't find the proper sized bookshelves,I use narrow,3 shelf console tables sometimes.

• cpaul1
    5 years ago

The first step is always the same. Decide on a style.

Mary McKenna thanked cpaul1
  • housegal200
    5 years ago

--Each side of a bed in a guest room needs a night table. Remove all the junk on top of all surfaces. Put small trays on two night tables with a flashlight small analog alarm clock, box of tissues. That's it--no boxes, photos, odds and ends. Guests need a place to put down glasses, watch, etc. Get rid of all other tables.

--The chair and ottoman are not a mistake. Guests will sit there with their laptops and throw clothes on it at night.

--Put the halogen floor lamp behind the chair (or get rid of it entirely.).

--Once the mom table is been repurposed as a night table or rehomed to another room, look for a simple bookcase for near the window. Store all your books there. Get rid of the corner cabinet.

--If the rug is going to be the star, then get plain colored bedspread with a coordinating folded throw at the end of the bed.

--Get a soothing, horizontal piece of art in colors that coordinate with the rug and new bedding you'll get. The horse art doesn't work.

--Add two light sconce lamps on each side of the bed for reading or small reading lights with goosenecks for the night table.

So begone all tables that aren't night tables; all clutter; corner cabinet.

Mary McKenna thanked housegal200
  • decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

We could offer more ideas if you'd show us the rug.

• PRO
    JudyG Designs
    5 years ago

Remove everything but the bed. It is a guest room, so make it simple and cozy.

Art/headboard:

• Mary McKenna
    Original Author
    5 years ago

housegal: Thank you for all your suggestions. I will incorporate some of them in redoing this room.

decoenthusiaste: Here is the rug. It's very good quality and has been recently cleaned. I have decided to use it for sure.

• Mary McKenna
    Original Author
    5 years ago

When I mentioned that this is a guest room, I was talking about the very infrequent visit of grandchildren. I don't see that happening too much in the future, so I guess the room will be multi-purpose. My goal is not to turn it into a "dumping ground" again:)

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

A guest room IMO should be like a 5 star hotel.No cast off furniture and so you like to read then keep the books in your bedroom.. I just see that this is not really a guest room so then figure out what this room needs to be and start from there.Do you need a bed? Maybe a single bed. It might makre avery nice reading room.Start with removing everthing and then add back only the things you love and I do not love the red dresser but the rug is lovely. The wall color does nothing for me so maybe choose another color from the rug.

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    5 years ago

The wall color does nothing for me

So, Patricia, the OP is to decorate her room according to your taste?

• J J
    5 years ago
    ohhhh, a library!! Comfortable seating, beautiful rug, lamp and all of your lovely books. A rarely used bed takes up real estate .
  • J J
    5 years ago
    Have fun with whatever direction you take. Thanks for having us along for the ride.
  • katinparadise
    5 years ago

following

• Mary McKenna
    Original Author
    5 years ago

To all who have commented - Thank You! Now that the Holidays are behind us, I am going to roll out the rug and remove the corner cabinet and the wicker desk for sure.

I don't know exactly what I want this room to be:) I don't need a reading room and I already have a "library"/"office". I just want it to look nice enough that I'm not tempted to turn it into a storage room.

Also, the rest of my home does not have red in any form or shape. I read recently about making sure rooms "flow". Their reasoning is so one doesn't get "jarred" when they open the door to that room. (not my statement!)

I do have a daybed in the basement that I could have brought up. The only problem with it is that its frame is silver tone metal and I have none of that in the rest of the house. Its kind of cute though and if I could spray paint it maybe oil rubbed bronze or something it could work.

Thoughts?