Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacob_naim

Help with home extension

Jacob Naim
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Hi Everyone - I'm looking to get some feedback on this proposed home extension in the Bay Area in California. My mother in law is set to move into our ground floor bedroom so I wanted to extend it out a bit and give her a private bathroom. Since we're doing that, we figured we should expand one of the master's walk in closets into a bedroom (we've got two kids doubled up in one bedroom right now), and make up some of that lost space in the master by also building out the master on top of the extra space we're building out for the mom in law. And since we're doing that (it never ends), we figured it makes sense to also add an office (attached to the dining room), as my mom's soon to be bedroom was my old office, and this space will be right below the extended closet turning into another bedroom.

Originally, our architect wanted to put the bathroom and closet along the "top" new mom bedroom, but that is a due east facing window and gets great light in the morning, so didn't want to block that off. Instead we've got it by the door, which creates this waste of space walkway into the room. Anyways, this is current go to plan, and wanted to throw it out there to see if anyone has any better ideas for how to set this all up.

Ground Floor (New): https://pasteboard.co/HOha46q.png

Ground Floor (Old): https://pasteboard.co/HOhbbEw.png

Second Floor (New): https://pasteboard.co/HOhaxCv.png

Second Floor (Old): https://pasteboard.co/HOhaRzb.png

Thank you so much (and happy Thanksgiving!)

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    5 years ago

Sorry - site won't allow me to sign in.

This sounds like a VERY expensive project. It might be a LOT cheaper to put mom in an apartment than remodel this house that extensively. And there is your wife to consider.

I don't know where you live (US?), but here in the US, multi-generational living pretty much died out within 20 years of the end of WWII. I am well aware that it is the norm in many cultures, but it sure isn't hear and can cause a lot of stress in a marriage. I'd sooner go live in a Medicaid bed in someone LR in a tiny town, than move in with either of my children, and we have a pretty good relationship. But we're all used to considerable independence and would not like having that challenged.

Jacob Naim thanked Anglophilia
  • localeater
    5 years ago

I think if you move the kind's bedroom to the front you get a better MBR suite. I just drew in where I think the kid bedroom should go. See how that opens up the whole back of the house for your bed and ensuite? Also, are you SURE you want the big soaking tub?

• Jacob Naim
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

What a paradigm shifting idea... Thank you!

We are open to tossing the the tub.. it was there when we moved in, and I was originally loathe to mess with that existing bathroom in order to keep costs down (moving around showers and toilets and so on). But there is alot of wasted space there with that little hallway in the master, and your idea reclaims so much of that.

• GreenDesigns
    5 years ago

You need an architect. Now. Your location is the most expensive and fullest of red tape as anywhere in the US. That is going up cost double in documents, permits, and funding.

• rockybird
    5 years ago

Is this as far as you can go with setbacks?

• Jacob Naim
    Original Author
    5 years ago

yes, exactly. and I can only add 290 sq feet because sq footage of house can only be 45% of total land.

• GreenDesigns
    5 years ago

Time to sell that and buy something else that is already accessibly built.

• geoffrey_b
    5 years ago

The first question I have: What is your budget?

• Jacob Naim
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi Geoffrey - Let's say its $300k

• Migraine Craftsman
    5 years ago

Johnny Powers take a look,

Let me list what I did:

1. Made the hallway bigger/wider so you can scoot around in a wheel chair if it needs be.

2. Bedroom door and bathroom door is 36 inches, same reason as above.

3. Put a window in the bedroom next to the closet, I like my clothes to breath fresh air from time to time.

4. Increased the size of bathroom, shrunk the bedroom just a bit and length of closet as well.

5. Bathroom vanity is 24 inches in DEPTH, with a medicine cabinet above it for starage.

6. Bathroom has a cabinet over the toilet for more storage.

7. My measurements start at the outside of the wall,

What you think?

I love doing this kind of stuff, take a look at my youtube channel you can see me build small homes. By the way for your budget allowance I can build 3 small homes here in the south :-)

We live in two different worlds brother lol, best of luck with the project and get everything in writing, my word of advice.

If you need anything else feel free to ask. Take care.

Jacob Naim thanked Migraine Craftsman
  • geoffrey_b
    5 years ago

$300,000 / 300 = $1,000 sq/ft - yikes. Find another home.

• GreenDesigns
    5 years ago

With the EHCOL and the huge red tape, required retrofitting by the red tape people, including seismic retrofitting, 300K will not go as far as you think it will in SF.

• Jacob Naim
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for your advice! To be clear, I am looking for input on better ways to reconfigure the space given the uses noted above along with the the extension constraints. If you have any ideas specific to that ask I would appreciate it. Thanks so much!

• Jacob Naim
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Migraine - Project will probably be about 200K, but didnt want budget to get in the way of good ideas. :) and yes,,, different worlds entirely. Thanks for the accessibility improvements. Much obliged for your input ...

• Migraine Craftsman
    5 years ago

My pleasure Johnny, glad to help. Sometimes we just need another point of view to help us make a decision. Good luck with the project, post pictures if you can.

Jacob Naim thanked Migraine Craftsman
  • lyfia
    5 years ago

Just doing a fly by look on this, but one thing I would consider fixing is to level out the dining floor with the rest of the house and so the office doesn't have to be at a different level too. This will also allow the dining area to become larger feeling since the step won't be in the way.

Also I would want to create a wall of closets or something between the master and the new bedroom or create a sound separating wall for some privacy between the master and the new bedroom.

• pahlawan
    5 years ago

Following - we are in the Bay Area too. Currently doing kitchen and bath remodel (on schedule!). Trying to figure if Phase 2 with an addition is an option down the road.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler