Software
Houzz Logo Print
ben_tso

Any source for Chandos Beauty?

Is there any source for Chandos Beauty in the US? I’ve searched everywhere! Hortico said earlier this year that they had some in the growing fields, but confirmed recently they have none for sale.


Anyone want to sell or trade cuttings? I’ve been trying to get this one for quite some time.

Comments (13)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Thanks so much, Kim! This is so very kind of you, I have been searching for this one forever. I thought as a last ditch effort, I’d post on the forum. I’ll PM you.

  • 7 years ago

    That is very kind of you Kim to hook Ben up with Chandros Beauty.

    It is such a gorgeous rose with no source that I can find.

    Ben, I cant wait to see how it does for you.

  • 7 years ago

    Kristine,


    I know you’ve been searching for Chandos Beauty for some time, just like me. If I get more than one cutting to root, I will pay Kim’s generousity forward, and send you one of my plants.

  • 7 years ago

    That is so kind of you Ben. I have 4 Desdamona coming so I will just enjoy yours. Thank you for the generous offer.

  • 7 years ago

    You're welcome, Ben. I will send you and Diana, who also messaged me, all the prunings so you may play with them and see if you can become the sole US source! I hope you can get them all to root and get this spread around more. It really is a nice rose. At least here, it grows well own root and flowers most of the time. The flowers are beautiful and the scent is marvelous! Good luck!

  • 7 years ago

    It always warms my heart to see how generous the folks are here! I’ll forever associate ‘Chandos Beauty’ with Carol from Canada. She sure had a beautiful specimen of it. I imagine she’s got all her pots safely tucked away in her garage, by now. I sure miss her around here. Lisa

  • 7 years ago

    Yes indeed. We have a lot of good people here! I am so bad at rooting, I will keep looking for a rooted baby. Thanks Kim for your kindness!!!

    Lisa, What happened to Carol in Canada? Has she gone from the forum? I know her daughter got in a medical school in Canada this fall. She must be busy. Hopefully we will see her posts soon.

  • 7 years ago

    It's my pleasure. OK Ben and Diana, you now have two others here looking for rooted Chandos! Give them your best, your "dance cards" are filling up! LOL!


  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Lisa, Summers,

    Carol (RoseCanadian) became fed up with our Houzz issues so she now posts only on the other forum. I miss her too, such a cheerful lady with some beautiful roses, including, yes some extremely enabling pics of Chandos. You can find some of her recent posts here:

    https://garden.org/forums/view/roses/

    I’tll probably be a few months before I see how many I can get to root, I’ll reach out to y’all once that happens.

    Kim,

    It seems Chandos Beauty is the new Augusta Luise...so many people want one, yet there is no North American supplier currently. I posted here sort of as a last resort, and I couldn’t believe that a few hours later you were actually offering me cuttings. Thanks again for making this happen!

  • 7 years ago

    You're welcome, Ben. It isn't patented and it is a good rose, so why not? Oh, BTW, I do not have Chilli Thrips, RRD, Japanese Beetles (or any of their relatives) in my garden. I do NOT spray ANYTHING, nor do I use any systemics of any type. You will find spider mites and sooty mold on the foliage from the mites and the humidity/dews we receive regularly this close to the beach and you will also probably find soot from the fires (both north and south) as the winds brought it into our area regularly the past two weeks. There is likely to be some black spot or other spotting on some of the foliage. It IS "that time of the year" and the temps here have fluctuated from the very low eighties to low forties the past several weeks. The nightly fogs/dews have been relatively heavy recently, even though the winds have been quite arid. We received a "whopping" .184" of rain yesterday and now it's just damp and not quite warm, so some molds/fungis are bound to grow. It's just "life at the beach!" I'll get them out Monday and message you about tracking, etc. Enjoy your weekend! I'm off to Santa Barbara to meet Kippy and some rose friends from up north who are down visiting relatives for Thanksgiving. It's nursery hopping time! Who needs "Black Friday"?

  • 7 years ago

    Thanks a ton Kim & Ben! Good luck rooting Ben! I cheer you on from an icy hole. :-)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I hope you both enjoy your cuttings from Kim and gets lots rooted!