Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_659114782

kitchen design problem

Nala 123
5 years ago
Hi I am having a difficult time deciding on cabinet options surrounding the refrigerator. There is a wall on the side of the cabinets which extends 26 inches into the kitchen that can not be removed. It is a load bearing wall. I am not sure if 24 inch drawer cabinets with a counter top will look good. Also the 2 pantries next to the refrigerator are only 15 inches and we can not add pull out shelves. Any ideas would be very helpful. Thanks

Comments (8)

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

If we are speaking of the fridge wall in isolation, I completely agree with Sina Sadeddin. But your island is a barrier between the sink and fridge. I usually prefer an island over a peninsula, but I think this plan would benefit from moving the wall ovens to the fridge wall, and having a peninsula for seating.

Dishes can be kept in drawers on the peninsula, for easy unloading from the DW, and easy access for someone setting the table. There is space for only one pantry on the fridge wall, but extra items can be kept in deep drawers on the back of the peninsula (or in standard-depth drawers, if extra deep drawers are not offered in your cabinet line.)

• PRO
    dezign interiors, llc
    5 years ago

Get rid of the pantries. They look forced. Instead, opt for more countertop space. Instead, drop the upper cabinet, to the base cabinet, on the cabinet to the left of the dishwasher. This will serve as a pantry.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

I happen to think 15” wide pantries are fine but they need to pullouts and not the kind where you open the door and then have pullout shelves but true pullout pantries. All of your base cabinets should be drawers , the cabinets on either side of the wine fridge should be pullouts too. I don’t know why your pantries can’t be pullouts.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    5 years ago

I like dezign interiors' suggestion; with the fridge all the way at the end of the run, the island would no longer be an obstruction between it and the sink:

Another option, if you use one 15-18" deep pantry cabinet beside the fridge, it could load from the side:

• PRO
    The Kitchen Place
    5 years ago

From right to left: filler if rollouts + 27-30" pantry w/ rollouts + Refrigerator+end panel + uppers/lowers w/countertop.

Is that hallway doorway to the far left from the garage? I wouldn't want a tall thing at that end. A countertop space there would be a good landing area for groceries as well as extra buffet space when entertaining.

Nudge the island down a bit to allow the refrigerator a better traffic pattern to the sink. Will island have barstools? If not, make island 12" deeper.

• Nala 123
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Thanks to everyone who replied. I can have pullouts in the 15 inch pantry but the designer at the cabinet store advised against it because it was a small pantry. I may just put a 30 inch pantry with pull outs up against the 26 inch wall that sticks out. Then the refrigerator. Next to refrigerator I can put two 24 inch drawer base cabinets with quartz counter on top. Are drawer base cabinets better than the regular ones?
  • Nala 123
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The island will have a bump out with barstools. There are two entry ways to the left of the kitchen. One is for dining room and the other is for garage, powder room and laundry room.