Software
Houzz Logo Print
webuser_47918438

Please update fireplace + side shelf without painting

7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

It’s almost 2019, and this fireplace is very much original 1978. I’m open to staining a few of the bricks to lighten the look but do not want to paint to keep them maintenance free. I already painted the shiny brass and black surround with aged bronze and high-heat black. My husband is a decent woodworker, so that is a direction to consider. The shelving area is 27” wide and an awkward 25” deep. I’ve thought about turning it into a closet of sorts....just not sure about the step up provided by the hearth. We will likely take out all or part of the white wall next to the shelf area to open Into the adjacent dining room/ kitchen. Could use suggestions there as to how and how much. Thank you, in advance, for weighing in. Okay, fire away (for the pun lovers out there).






Comments (12)

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I think your idea of adding doors to the left and making it enclosed storage is a great one. Another option would be to still leave the top half open (only enclosing the bottom half) and use a mirror or art at the back to break up all the dark brick and you could also add a ceiling light at the top. A larger piece of art or mirror over the mantel would also help.

    Heidi M thanked Jamie Ludwig
  • 7 years ago
    Don’t be afraid to paint brick with a mineral paint. Romabio makes great lime washes and opaque mineral paints that are made for masonry. Mineral paint would give you much more impact than a stain. Those bricks are very dark.
    Heidi M thanked Susie .
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    Only interested in alternatives to painting the brick. Thanks!

  • 7 years ago

    ok,,no prob. I'll delete it! (I do think you need a thicker mantel)

    Heidi M thanked Beth H. :
  • 7 years ago

    I‘ve already researched painted brick and am seeking a different look. My goal is timeless, functional, and natural. We prefer the simple things in life rather than elegance, if that helps.

  • 7 years ago
    I am not being snarky here, but there is nothing simple or elegant about your fireplace. At least google "mineral paint" to see what it does, and how it looks, you may be surprised. If this were mine, I’d drywall over the whole thing, including the niche, clad the hearth in slate, or paint the hearth black. Or tile the whole thing. The current brick, at least in the picture, is not attractive at all.
    Heidi M thanked teamaltese
  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    I agree it isn’t attractive at all. I agree that mineral paint looks great on brick. I had already considered that option before initially posting. Your other suggestions are what I am after. Alternatives to painting or staining or white washing. Yours is one of many creative minds out there. I’m eager to see what other ideas come to light. Thank you for sharing your thoughts, time and honesty.

  • 7 years ago
    Lighter wood and big bright art, pic below shows a more modern touch
    Heidi M thanked Irene Morresey
  • 7 years ago

    Since you're going to be removing a wall, it sounds like you have some structural renovations in mind. If so, consider removing everything but the fireplace itself. My parents did this when they changed the flooring in their living room, and it looked so much better than the long extended hearth they had before.

    To just lighten things up, you can cut a piece of drywall to size and stand it up against the back wall of the shelf area. Paint it the same color as the walls.

    For a deeper mantle, you can go right over the existing one. http://www.fwmadebycarli.com/2011/01/making-of-slip-covered-mantel.html I think you can also buy hollow mantles at Home Depot that can fit over a smaller one.

    If you don't want to paint the fireplace but want it lighter, you may be more comfortable with a light wash over it. Use thinned latex paint, in a gray not a white. Maybe start with a few of the darkest bricks, and stop when you feel you've lightened it enough. http://www.fwmadebycarli.com/2011/01/making-of-slip-covered-mantel.html

    Heidi M thanked partim
  • 7 years ago

    Thanks for all the great ideas. We will mull them over and check out other houzz posts on fireplaces. Right now I’m leaning toward covering most of the fireplace with wood and enclosing the shelf area into a closet; removing all of the attached wall if possible; and putting something else around the surround. The basement stairs runs behind, so the size will need to stay the same. This will be a good retirement project for my handy man.

  • 7 years ago

    Just one more thought. Painting brick inside a home is far different than outside the home. For interiors, there is no additional maintenance (in fact it's easier if you you are using a glossy type paint because it can be easily washed) whereas raw brick is going to require a scrub brush to get clean.


    Exterior brick, in my opinion absolutely do not paint except as a last resort!


    Just wanted to throw this out there, as paint is obviously the easiest change one can make. Not suggesting you do so, just want you to have the facts :)