0

Laundry Room mess up Help!!!

smu techi
last modified: December 6, 2018

Hi we are finishing up a home renovation and my laundry room is really not working out:(

we have four children so I need the space to be really thought out. Seems like the plumber swapped the dryer and slop sink placement and there is no way they will change that! Also, we went against the "rules" and had two smaller doors that swing out put in to give me some more place.

As for appliances, I have a great top load washer that I do not want to replace at this point(maybe in future)Any advice on how to place hamper,folding counter,hanging(alot)...thanks

• smu techi

this is what the room looks like now:( please help!

• m_gabriel

Do you have space for a rolling hamper with hanging rail? I'm pretty sure the link is for the one that we have - the rail is very sturdy and the hamper bags hold a lot of clothes. I have all my laundry stuff on casters so I can slide the pieces where I need based on what I am doing (folding vs sorting, etc.) and then roll them back into place.

• erinsean

Do you want the sink to the left side of your washer? That would put washer and dryer side by side. Since plumbing ...... Faucet and drain are there for your washer, shouldn't be hard to put a sink there.

• smu techi

sink is on the side of the washer-you can't see it in the photo i posted.
    m_gabriel i'm looking to do something build in as this is probably the busiest room in the house other than the kitchen :)

I need layout ideas- how to best place folding station/ironing hanging and hamper

• hcbm

I'm confused. Is the sink between the washer and dryer? If so, I assume you wanted the washer and dryer side by side. Why do you say there is no way they will change that? On that assumption, did you have a drawing or a plan showing the plumber where to place the sink? If you did and he placed it in the wrong place he needs to move it to the correct place at his cost. If you made the mistake I would think it is worth the money to move it over. It shouldn't be too expensive since both the sink and washer need a water supply and drain anyway. Sometimes just a few one hoses and pipes and 1/2 hour of labor will do it. Sometimes more. I may be making too many assumptions here.

• tatts

Get him to fix it. He didn't do what you wanted, so don't pay the final bill until he fixes it.

Flo Mangan
    Don’t jump thru hoops when it can be fixed relatively easily. Strong arm tactics hoping to intimidate you. You will have great difficulty doing everything you want. Push back hard.
  • smu techi

will speak to him about switching it back, the way it is now, there is 28" on the wall of the door.

my dryer is around 30" so it sticks out past the door frame:(

• smu techi

now anyone have any good organizational tips or advise on how to set up the rest of the room?

• apple_pie_order

Do you use drying racks or just the dryer and hangers?

Flo Mangan
    I just did a scale layout and this space was never going to work with your washer and dryer and sink. You need a pocket door for any reasonable use. You might be able to put dryer by the door because it looks like it will stick out less than dryer. You need a couple inches between all pieces so do the math. See if you can move dryer to outer corner on other long wall and put countertop across and over dryer. It depends on power source for dryer? Just going to take some rework by your builder no matter what you do? What room is on the other long wall side?
    Flo Mangan
    A possible other solution is to go get a stack washer dryer combo. We had 4 kids and had a oversized Maytag stack washer dryer and we just gave it to a young newly married couple! It is around 30 years old. Now today’s units aren’t made to last nearly as long but at this stage you do not have many options.
    Flo Mangan
    Check this combo out.
  • ci_lantro

The dryer infringing on the door opening is totally unacceptable.

If the plumbers had the floor plan as pictured above, there is no excuse for the screw-up. They fix it on their dime.

But regardless of who is responsible for the mess, it really, really needs to be fixed. Now. You have to get through that door with baskets of dirty laundry & baskets of clean laundry. A smaller, outward opening door is not the solution, obviously. Not only the daily inconvenience but also, down the road, when an appliance needs to be replaced. The opening has to be large enough to get the appliances through it without having to remove door stops or even the entire door and door jamb. As well as not having to disconnect the dryer in order to get a new washer into the room.

And I doubt that you want a situation where the laundry sink is between the washer & dryer. I know that I use the top of my W & D for folding space. A sink interrupting that space, with clean laundry falling into an icky sink, is not good.

You don't spend thousands of dollars on a renovation to be left with messes like this and half-assed attempts to remedy it like smaller doorways. I would be hopping mad over this. And I am quite sure that the significant others of the tradesmen who did this would settle for it if they plumbed their laundry room like this.

Flo Mangan
    Smu- here is an idea for you to consider. It is roughly to scale. Each square is equivalent to one square foot. I moved sink to other wall. And on washer/dryer side you could add a cabinet on that side and house some items you desire in that spot. The doors to your washer and dryer will also need consideration. I put a barn door to enable more access. Even if you had to split that door in two in order to have sufficient wall space on either side of space outside laundry room it would solve the “door” problem.
    Flo Mangan
    This is what i mean by “split” barn door concept. One is even two different widths!
    smu techi thanked Flo Mangan
  • smu techi

your support is amazing! now we have two 20'' doors opening out to hall so the inner wall is usable...

i also went back to measure(not work off plan) ,the sizing is a bit different in inches is 89''x95.5 with 25.5 on each side the wall of the door.

now, if i want to fit around 5 feet hanging, hampers and a counter to fold... is it doable? i figure that if we get shelving, I can store all my detergents and the like on top of the machines. but what about the rest?

• smu techi

so waiting for the plumber to get back and swap out the sink and dryer, but we did some shelving

please excuse the garabag-still cleaning up...

Flo Mangan
    Great! Sounds like you are getting there!
    smu techi thanked Flo Mangan
  • pennydesign

Did anyone read the original post where it says two outswinging door were put in, already?

smu techi thanked pennydesign
  • luna123456

@ smu techi

Man a lot of people design really closed in and dark laundry rooms. A window or five and a large open space with plenty of counter tops would be mandatory in our home. Go visit a laundromat or google "on premises laundry" to see ideas on how the pros design a laundry room.

I would have put in a pocket door that slides inside the wall by the sink in the blueprint. Then there really is no door in the way since it would be inside the wall. I much prefer to stack washer and dryer when possible. It uses space much more efficiently.

Leave room for several laundry cart on wheels (One for colors and one for whites). They make smaller ones that are just like the on-prem large ones. There would be copious amounts of metal bars about 6-7' off the ground to hang items on to dry or organize. Think about how traffic will flow in the laundry room. When moving laundry from dirty to washer, dryer, fold and stage to put away.

If you have kids I STRONGLY suggest you have defined areas for specific kids clothes. Either by sex, age or name (depending how many you have). If you don't they will dig to find what they want. If all their stuff is in one spot then THEY have to put it away. Even a shelves that can accommodate laundry baskets will help. When stuff comes out of the dryer you just toss in the basket for the kid and they have to fold and put away. Not sure how much you do for them or if they have to do their own laundry.

I would have lots of perimeter lighting. Remove all overhead cupboards. Only use floor mounted shelving. Leave a wall mounted shelf that is the right height to work at. Think stand up desk. Folding, sorting, etc. will be much easier. You can put the laundry cart on wheels underneath when your done to store them out of the way. We like to combine laundry room with mud room or right next to each other. That way dirty clothes don't travel through the house before they get to the laundry.

Depending how large your family will grow I would plan for two washers and two dryers. You will be amazed how much this frees up your time. You don't need to buy them now, but I would put in the necessary electrical, plumbing and floor space. I will also have a floor drain in place to use either for commercial laundry equipment OR in case of flood.

Just some ideas off the top of my head.

• D M

If you ever change to a front loader, the washer needs to be on the left.

• suseyb

I've had my front loader on the left and the right. It doesn't really matter. We only have 5 children home now that I do laundry for. I've never felt the need for two washers and dryers, and I use cloth diapers. I do a lot of laundry, but it's just part of my day. We fold in the living room as soon as a load is taken out of the dryer. I do about 4 loads a day. Sometimes less, sometimes more. I don't find hanging space or folding space necessary, but I do need an area to sort.

• D M

My washer door could not be changed to swing the other way so having it on the right would mean having it swing open between the washer and dryer.

• suseyb

My washer can't be changed, but the dryer can. They were set up across from one another in a previous home. Right now, they both open the same way. It's annoying, but not a deal breaker.