ingridtm

Any zellige tile regrets or advice?

ingridtm

For those that have put up zellige tiles in your kitchen as a backsplash - Any regrets? Also - would you recommend grout or no grout? Anything you would have done differently?

I can see many issues with those tiles as a backsplash and if there is no grout the issues multiply.

ingridtm thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Wouldn’t be my choice in a setting that needs cleaning since anything you wiped them down with will shred, and any gaps or irregularities in the tile surface or where you don’t have grout will be disgusting as they will be uncleanable. As someone who moved into a home with uncleanable walls in the kitchen, I shudder. (Contact paper solved the problem until the walls could be resurfaced.)

ingridtm thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • GreenDesigns

There was a post on here from someone that ranted and raved because she didn't understand handmade tiles are not perfect. They are irregular in depth, flatness, squareness, and color. They need wide grout lines. They are meant to be that way. It isn't a defect, and no one is due any money back from anyone for receiving exactly that.

If if you want anything other than something VERY rustic and imperfect, pick something else.

ingridtm thanked GreenDesigns
  • Hillside House

I have mine sitting in the workshop, but we haven't installed. We also haven't decided on grout... I LOVE the look of a dry stack, but grouted is definitely more practical in a kitchen. (We did install it in a bathroom shower last month and grouted there.)

ingridtm thanked Hillside House
  • Hillside House

Not to be contradictory, but mine are from Clé. They recommend a tight installation, so definitely not a wide grout line. Perhaps others are different?

ingridtm thanked Hillside House
  • ingridtm

Good points on the grout! I didn't think that one through.... Hillside House - what color did you install in your bathroom? Do you have any pics?

• chispa

I like them when I see photos, but don't like the way they feel or look close up.

They are a bit too rustic, chippy and dusty for my liking.

ingridtm thanked chispa
  • kay

@Hillside House Hi! Did you install your zellige tiles? Would love to see a photo!

• M V

This is gorgeous

• a_hem

I love the Cle tiles as my kitchen backsplash. We went from counter to ceiling with them and they are beautiful. No issues cleaning either. And I cook just about 5-6 nights a week. We grouted as they suggested, tight but we did grout. We also put them in our half bath. They are chippy and dusty going up but beautiful when finished. We just bought a new house and will be remodeling...I will definitely use again. Edit..Just realized this post is 2 years!! Lol

• M V

Ooh thanks for this update. Can I ask were the ones you used in the bathroom glazed? I’m considering it but I wonder if they are hard to clean? Do you mix them with other stone tiles in your bathroom?

• a_hem

Yes glazed, easy to clean and they are the only tile.

Tried to get a decent photo. This was the first tiling I’ve ever done. Figured I’d start with one that is supposed to look rustic! We had someone fo our kitchen since there were a lot more.

• a_hem

Here’s the kitchen. I’m going to try the ones like Hillside House’s next time. We’re doing a similar hood too. That looks beautiful! Great taste, we have those lights on our island as well!

• M V

Did you do them around a bath or shower? Did you do tiling on the floor too? Looks amazing! X

• kay

We decided to do zellige in our kitchen Up to the ceiling. Once they are finished, I’ll post a photo. We ended up going with Riad for our zellige. The complaints about Cle customer service scared me off from them.

• a_hem

@kay, I may try Riad the next time around. Can't wait to see the pics!

@M V - I did not use them on bath/shower or floor.

• D H

Hi @a_hem. your kitchen is beautiful. I really want to use these tiles as a kitchen backsplash but am really worried about keeping them clean. I cook ALOT and often cook greasy things and deep fry. I'm worried that the oil and grease will just collect on the uneven lips and edges and be hard to clean. I also hate cleaning and am really lazy so want something quick and easy to clean. Do you have to clean frequently and does it take more time than a regular tile that's more even on the surface? thank you!

• Lou

Just wondering if anyone has used Zellige tiles that don't finish at a wall or ceiling (ie edge up to another surface)? We have been recommended finishing with a steel trim but I'm not sure this really suits the Zellige look.

Also how have people addressed where the tiles don't fit a space exactly? Have you cut them?

• a_hem

@D H, I probably cook on the stove top 4-5 times a week and I don't have any issues. But, I don't fry a lot. I'll make chicken in olive oil, but that's probably the extent of frying. I don't feel like I clean the down any more than I would another tile. I hope that helps!

They are very rustic when you take them out of the box and many people aren't happy or think that they need to replace them. But, I took a deep breath and thought, I bought these...let's go with it and see how they look. And, they really do turn out beautiful.

@Lou, Yes, my tile guy had to cut them when they didn't fit. And, they are very thick. But, because they have that rustic feel, it's not a big deal. All of mine do end into something; the wall or a cabinet, etc. So, I'm not sure how the edge would look. I'd have to see it. Maybe an antique bronze edge depending on your other finishes.

• everpark

If you google it they have shown a mitered tile on the open ends.