Houzz Logo Print
ilovetogrow

Hoata E 2018 ...

Excellent day for some Es. Show me yours:

Have a great day!

Comments (53)

• nicholsworth Z6 Indianapolis
    5 years ago

Empress Wu from 2017..it hasn't grown that much..I'm going to move it..
    Elegans in pics #2,3..I love the large leaves..

• Beth (5b - SE-Michigan)
    5 years ago

Great E's adding El Nino on to my list. Here are a couple more.

Earth Angel, behind Curly Fries.

Empress Wu, need to pull back the ferns this year to give her more light

• Karin Black Cat
    5 years ago

This is one of my spring favourites. It seems to be surrounded by a halo when the sun shines...

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Great looking Es

Ebb Tide

El Niño

Elvis Lives

Emerald Roughcut

Emmitt Armitage

Empress Wu

Epiphany

Eternal Flame

5 years ago

Karin and sunnywood..both of you have an Extensive E collection..E's in every size and color!!..

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

A couple of my Elegans in the background. I’m loving the photos of Emerald Roughcut! Added mine last spring and hoping for something photo worthy this year!

nicholsworth, glad to see a few photos from you, we’ve got to do better this season.

Sherry

5 years ago

Sherry..that's my plan!!..and I would like to organize my hosta tags and maybe? ID some hosta..

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

Emerald Charger and English Sunrise have been added to the list

nicholsworth-that was my plan also...would have gone better if my tags were rainproof! The first labels I bought worked great, the second round...not so much:(

5 years ago

oursteelers..well my tags are perfect since they live in a box and some empty pots IN my garage!!..the tags came with the plants..I thought "I don't need to stick these in the ground"..I thought animals would misplace them.."I'll remember"..but it didn't work out..Lol

• Shadow -4A-NB Canada
    5 years ago

Empress Wu. Planted in 2014.

Elegans

Showing off My little Elegans babies....what a baby making machine.

• sherrygirl zone5 N il
    5 years ago

Hey Shadow, that’s why I have about six Elegans, babies like crazy. Now I have to weed them out, no more room for them. ; )

Sherry

• hostas_for_barb
    5 years ago

English Sunrise

Eye Declare

Elegans in October

• hostas_for_barb
    5 years ago

Karin, you got your pic of English Sunrise at the perfect time - that is my absolute favourite shade in the spring!

• peren.all Zone 5a Ontario Canada
    5 years ago

English Sunrise has a really lovely colour in all the pics!

hostas_for_barb you certainly caught Eye Declare at a glorious moment!

5 years ago

English Sunrise is beautiful!!..I don't remember it..is it new to the aphabet?..

5 years ago

I have been admiring it for years in the Alphabet. There is so much to see nicholsworth!

5 years ago

ok..not surprising..more proof that I'm bad with names :-)

• hostas_for_barb
    5 years ago

peren.all Eye Declare is a stunner in the spring but then greens us and fades into the background . I have a Hosta book with a pic of English Sunrise and it was that beautiful shade that Karin captured and I just had to have it. It took a couple of years before mine achieved that shade. It does change throughout the season but I think it is a sport of June and holds up well long into the fall.

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    5 years ago

Two of my favorites in E, Earth Angel:

and Emerald Ruff Cut

• mountainy man z8 Ireland
    5 years ago

Empress Wu up front, glad to be out of her pot, I hope she will be better this year. Ivory Coast and montana mac. behind.

A blurry shot of Elegans.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

Mbug your EarthAngel is gorgeous. I was wondering how old and how much sun she receives?

5 years ago

mbug..several of us have a s-l-o-w Empress Wu..makes me feel better in a way that others have the same problem..I'm going to give mine a sunnier location..I'll let you know if that helps..

• Karin Black Cat
    5 years ago

Denis, I really like your new hosta bed. Empress Wu has enough room to show how big it can get :-)

• newhostalady Z6 ON, Canada
    5 years ago

Only two for me.

Earth Angel

In June (below)

In July (below)

Elegans

5 years ago

Sunnywood, could you check the first picture you posted. Is that really Ebb Tide? I have a young one, but it doesn't look like that.

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    5 years ago

Empress Wu

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    5 years ago

Elvis Lives (beside PUDC)

• ConnieMay ON Z6a
    5 years ago

Earth Angel

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    5 years ago

Newhostalady, I checked on line and on the hosta library and it looks right.

5 years ago

Thanks for checking sunnywood! I should have known you would have it right!

• old_dirt 6a
    5 years ago

Lots of E's, kind of like my school days. :( JK

Electrocution

Envy

Empress Wu, I have a feeling this one is going to explode next year.

Easy to Love

Earth Angel, would you believe this is in its 5th year? It has been eaten off at least twice. Hope it can mature someday.

Elegans, overpowering everything but the Rhododendron.

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

Old dirt, I love the placement on your empress wu really stands out!

5 years ago

hostas_for_barb it is difficult sometimes when a spring beauty is viridescent. I have F. Albopicta and I really like it all season but spring is definitely when it shines. I will be on the lookout for one to place next to or near it that grabs attention after it has faded. I have passed on others that green up later in the season but Eye Declare is calling to me lol!

Karin you really did capture English Sunrise at that ethereal colour time. Loving Eos too! Does it have the white leaf back of it's pycnophylla lineage?

mbug every time I get a new one I think drat another that starts with F, P or S. It never mattered until the Alphabet.

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    5 years ago

Newhostalady, on second look ,I agree with you. I don’t think that it is Ebb Tide. I wonder what it is?

• StevePA6a
    5 years ago

Glad you took a second look sunnywood, I was resisting the urge to point it out, don't want to be a pest. I only know what it's suppose to look like, because I really like it, and I've tried to grow it twice, unsuccessfully. Just so ya know, I find myself being a bit envious of your collection of well grown hostas, you've got some nice specimens!

I still don't have an Earth Angel, but as I see from all these photos, I really should. They're beauties!

• dstickrod77
    5 years ago

not mine, but I've got one coming, and I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Effervescence

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    5 years ago

Anyone, if Ebb Tide isn’t ebb Tide does anyone have an idea of what it might be?

• mbug_gw
    5 years ago

oursteelers ....not sure how old my Earth Angel is, maybe 3 years old. it gets moderate sun but mostly filterd.

• StevePA6a
    5 years ago

Could your Ebb Tide be, 'Majestic' instead, sunnywood?

• sunnywood4bChazyNY
    5 years ago

My ebb Tide ? Is not glossy.

5 years ago

Sunnywood, you might want to start a new thread with your picture (and any other photos of that hosta). I don't believe that Ken views the alphabet threads so he might chime in (or someone else) and give you an idea of what your hosta may be.

• Karin Black Cat
    5 years ago

peren, Eos has no white leaf back, but in fall it looks like a hosta with a margin for quite a few weeks :-) and the slugs love it...

5 years ago

Karin Cherry Flip gets a margin in fall too, I like it. Ugh nasty slugs but I like the strong vein pattern. I think I am always attracted to that trait.

• mae (zone 5b On)
    5 years ago

Emerald Ruff Cut...misshapen because shrews were tunneling all over the place last winter. The nerve!!! and just when it would have been ERC's leap year!!!

• mae (zone 5b On)
    5 years ago

How could I almost forget Emerald Tiara?

• steve duggins(Z6a) - Central Ohio
    5 years ago

Could your Ebb Tide be Bobbi Sue?

Lots of green with cream edges, so it's hard to tell from a single pic. Here's my Ebb Tide from last year, but I didn't like it so it got yanked:

• Laura z4b / Helsinki, Finland
    5 years ago

I went through my photos and eventually found some photos of my E’s

Eskimo Pie, beautiful but a slow grower

I just love the colouring of El Nino, waiting for it to grow bigger

Empress Wu, still a toddler

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

Laura all your E’s are beautiful. Isn’t it so hard waiting for them to grow?!?!

• Laura z4b / Helsinki, Finland
    5 years ago

You said it! :) Many of my hostas are relatively young and I’m impatient...

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022