Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maplelane123

Kitchen layout design dilemma - help!!!

maplelane123
5 years ago

Hi - we are purchasing a townhome and need to make a decision on the kitchen this upcoming week. Very excited about choosing colours, etc. but I have the option of making slight change and I am quite torn. The current layout has the kitchen with a nice long island and sink in island. We have the option of adding lower cabinets cross the front window but that requires the island to be shortened unfortunately. We are a family of 5 and like entertaining in our kitchen so love the idea of an island but I also like the idea of having the sink under the front window and I have always been used to wrap up around cabinets so the space under the window seems dead to me. I don't think I actually lose or gain storage either way; it is more a design issue. What would you do - long island OR cabinets across front window? I am learning towards long island. Attached some pics for ease of reference. First picture is of the shortened island with lower cabinets along the window. Second and third picture show the longer island. TIA.

Comments (16)

• atromper
    5 years ago
    I vote longer island. Visually the kitchen seems more open. Long islands, even with sinks, are great for entertaining. You can get something to cover the sink if needed.
    maplelane123 thanked atromper
  • shirlpp
    5 years ago

I'd go for the sink under the window also. Any dishes can always go there, as opposed to folks sitting around the island with a few dishes in their faces.

maplelane123 thanked shirlpp
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

W/the first one you could have an overhang on two sides, leaving room for more stools. Plus you get more storage.

It's up to you how much storage you want.

The second option seems like a waste under the window.

I like the first option. ask if you can have a longer overhang at one end. Kind of like this, but without the drop-down

anything over 10" will require additional support.

maplelane123 thanked Beth H. :
  • backyardfeast
    5 years ago

In a family of 5, I would definitely do the clean up sink under the window. Then you can have a smaller prep sink in your island, which means that more than one person can be in the kitchen at the same time! :)

With the long island option, you basically have one person cooking in the triangle between sink, fridge, and cooktop, and everyone else needs to stay on the other side of the island being served. If that set up works for your family patterns, then it can be very efficient.

With the extra counter run and cleanup sink separated from the main prep zone, kids can go help themselves to a drink at the sink, or your DH can wash dishes, or someone can be prepping themselves some food at that end of the kitchen without being in the way. It changes the traffic pattern pretty significantly. That would be my vote!

maplelane123 thanked backyardfeast
  • rantontoo
    5 years ago

I would put the clean-up sink under the window and a prep sink in the island because of the fridge location. Is that a prep sink on the perimeter in the first picture...if so, not getting that location for it.

maplelane123 thanked rantontoo
  • katileigh
    5 years ago
    I agree with putting the sink under the window. With a family of five that frequently entertains, you will not like a limited staging area for dishes. I am a firm believer is ensuring that prep, cook and cleanup areas all have ample space for the work you will do there. Picture your kitchen at its busiest, and then mentally walk yourself through every step you will take. The answer will be clear.
    maplelane123 thanked katileigh
  • Anne Duke
    5 years ago
    Sink under the window, too. I can’t imagine giving up all that counter surface under a window for more island where everything is all lined up like soldiers. Also, it makes the kitchen look like what it is, a family and friend space.
    maplelane123 thanked Anne Duke
  • mvcanada
    5 years ago

Yes, sink under window and what Beth said above. The waterfall counter, while it looks stunning, limits your space. Choose overhang on the end nearest the wall ovens as well and you'll have room for one or more to sit at the end and around the corner. And if there is room, then a small prep sink in the island is a great option with your main sink under the window.

maplelane123 thanked mvcanada
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I would keep the long island and I see no reason to have a sink under a window since the invention of DWs but I do not like the sink diresctly across from the stove top so I would move the sink to the end of the island near the fridge . Too bad you can’t change that window to something much bigger it would be awesome in that space. I have a huge window at the end of my island and I love it.

maplelane123 thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • PRO
    Debbi Washburn
    5 years ago

Island size aside, does the counterspace around the cooktop give you enough room for all the things you may leave out - toaster oven, coffee maker, mixer etc etc?? I am not a fan of the sink being in the island especially if you entertain alot - you will most likely use that to put out snacks and folks will hang out there while you are cutting vegetables or a chicken??

Have you looked into countertop materials and slab sizes? after a point you will have a seam...does that matter to you??

Both plans look great ( although I do agree if you are doing just an island I would want a much taller window! ). You have to decide on what will function best for you and your family...that's much harder than the decorative elements....

Good luck!

maplelane123 thanked Debbi Washburn
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    5 years ago

I agree with backyardfeast and rantontoo, for the reasons they stated--clean-up sink under the window and prep sink on the island.

maplelane123 thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • maplelane123
    Original Author
    4 years ago

So the builder and I have not yet agreed on the layout for the kicthen; mainly because we are in the last phase and there is time; but I am getting anxious. I definitely want the cabinets added under the window with full sink and will do small prep sink in the island and dishwasher will move to I guess. I would really like to do the larger island - and really, all I want to do is the shift the island over. I have asked for overhang but they design calls for waterfall and they are not willing to budge from the waterfall. What are the considerations? How much space do I need between the sink and the island? I am attaching the layout - does not appear to scale as per the pictures above (which are from an early phase of the development, there is a large white island and room to move over to accomodate the cabinets/sink under window and so plenty room for the island to shift over.

Welcome your thoughts!!

• maplelane123
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I should add we have a square table that wll be going under the window past the kitchen area.

• PRO
    Renov8or
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I believe 42"-48" is kitchen aisle width best practice - there are far better experts already answering here who can tell you. But just visually, I think the long island will impede the aisle in front of the sink. Here's a side by side:

That dining table looks very close to the kitchen to my eye. The cook(s) are boxed in. Even if you go around the other side, you encounter the stools.

Does the table need to be so wide? Can you reorient it?

• maplelane123
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks so much. I don’t believe the picture is to scale though. When I went to go visit the unit in the first phase, it seemed there was space. Take a look at the photos above. Really appreciate your thoughts!