0

Advice spelling tract

Had to do it.
  • emmarene9

With spell check the need to learn spelling is now a mute point.

• J Williams

arghh!

• patriceny

I think emmarene was being.....ironic. ;)

• worthy

That's a moot point.

JAN MOYER

You left out "sangwich". .............: (

Nobody has mentioned the abuse of " you and me" , "you and I" , Bozo and I went to the store.....

Please join Bozo and ME for dinner on.......

Did I miss a comment lol?

• Snaggy

Why do you make fun of people that can not spell correctly..has it ever crossed your mind that the posters like me could be Dyslexic ..yes there is spell check ..but some times it gives you more than one choice ..if you can not spell etc..how do to pick out the correct spelling ? maybe think before you correct or laugh at a poster !

The Cook's Kitchen

This peaked my interest and never seized to amaze me! But some need to nip it in the butt here. Too much lead way. Toad the line in this doggy-dog world. For all intensive purposes, youse guys are kinda tuff on y’alls fams. They ain’t at your beckon call. Some folks have a tough road to hoe and it wrecks havoc with their deep seeded beliefs. In lame man’s terms, you’ll reap what you sew!

Without further adieu, of course its all tongue and cheek!

• worthy

JM

Between you and I, ye might as well give up on that one, no matter what authorities say.

• J Williams

I think some of the misuses/abuse of language is a seperation from understanding, ie. the turn of phrase is not meaningful to the user, this doesn’t have much to do with difficulty of letter use tho, does it? Maybe it makes it harder to make it make sense...

• ILoveRed

The only one that bothers me is lack of periods. The notes that go on and on are very hard to read. Yes, some of the spelling errors make me giggle but not enough to actually point out.

the forums are supposed to be fun. And they are...most of the time. Oops my iPad just left off the capitalization of T on the word THE. And did I use the ellipsis correctly? I’m not about to go back and correct either. I don’t spend a lot of time proof reading my individual post on these forums either. I’m not here to impress anyone with my grammatical or writing skills. We all know that sentences are not supposed to end in prepositions but most of us write the way we speck in real life. Oops speak, not speck. We also often speak in sentence fragments. So you may see sentence fragments here written by folks that are pretty darn smart.

Yes, threads like this one pop up from time to time over the years. They are fun as long as we don’t take ourselves too seriously.

• ILoveRed

Hey Snaggy..we were posting almost at the same time. One of my twin sons has dyslexia, executive function issues, and other issues. He is also extremely talented visually/spatially with a very high IQ. He can’t spell either, lol.

Dont feel too bad. Just because you can’t spell doesn’t mean you are not brilliant.

• miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)

I don't mind the spelling errors as much. I can easily chalk that up to dyslexia, typos, or autocorrect/autofill gone rogue.

Butchering a common phrase with common misinterpretations of the phrase as displayed by Cook's Kitchen does set my teeth on edge though, mostly because I know that those people have probably been hearing that phrase wrong their entire lives and have never seen it in print. The lack of literary exposure saddens me.

• DLM2000-GW

@ lindsey - "The lack of literary exposure saddens me."

Bingo.

• edenchild

Snaggy and Ilovered, if you read back, I think that you will find that no one was making fun of spelling or of the dyslexic; we have all been guilty of mistyping or have suffered the abuse of spell check/autocorrect. What we have been discussing is the mis-use of language, be it words or phrases, that sometimes amuse and sometimes frustrate us. I don't see it as any different than highlighting the wrong words that people often sing to songs.

• ILoveRed

Hey, I didn’t mean to be a thread killer. And a lot of what I read above was humerus...oops that’s a bone. I meant the other word. I don’t think anyone was making fun of anyone else or anyone in particular. Just expressing my opinion..as we all are.

Carry on.

• wmsimons85

The Cook’s Kitchen, nothing wrong with y’all’s. :) After being away from the south for years, loving being able to use y’all again with abandon. How else to use the possessive form. :))

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio

It is troublesome to me that, even though I know the correct spelling of the word that I want to use, and am even thinking the correct spelling, I will frequently be surprised to see that I have written/typed the homonym. I have to proof read everything carefully to catch those errors. This dates from a viral illness 11 years ago that was tentatively diagnosed as West Nile, and is one of two symptoms that has persisted.

However, I think most instances of that error that we see really comes from lack of exposure to and instruction in correct spelling early on.

My big pet peeve is the lack of use of the correct tense which seems to be increasingly prevalent in our country. .

Posts like the one from The Cook's Kitchen above remind me of the Ad-Libs game!

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Haha, Cook's Kitchen wins the prize for best post! Love it!

To Jan, the "I/me" point was brought up previously in the thread (I know because I wrote it!) It's my hot button, especially using "I" as the objective pronoun. Hypercorrection at its worst.

And to Snaggy, sorry if you're offended, but the entire post is offending SOMEONE, not the least of whom are those of us who really care about language and communication.

• chicagoans

As a lifelong Chicagoan I have to admit that "y'all" takes some getting used to, especially if I'm by myself. If I'm alone and someone says "how y'all doing?" I'm tempted to check if someone's standing behind me. I'm one person, how can I be "all"? (And when addressing groups, I've heard people say "all y'all." That cracks me up!)

OTOH, I totally get that "you guys" grates on some people, especially when there are women in the group. I grew up saying "hi you guys!" and others grew up saying "hi y'all!", and habits can be hard to break!

• M V

I have a friend who was struggling with her recovery after a stroke at age 35. One of the tasks she was trying to complete was setting up a hotmail account. However, when instructed to type "hotmail", she typed "hotmale".....I think you can imagine the type of website that might have come up for her....and it wasn't email! She panicked trying to close the site before anyone saw it and then ended up clicking on something that opened up a picture....

Funny story at a time when humour was needed during her recovery.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

HAHAHAHA!!!! Grate storey MV!

Who sez splling doeznt mattr????

• edenchild

I'm surprised that nobody has yet raised the affect (to influence) / effect (a result) conundrum! Or does everyone know the RAVEN mnemonic - Remember Affect is a Verb and Effect is a Noun?

• miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)

@chicagoans, I think when people are saying "how y'all doing" they are asking about all your folks too. How's your mama, your daddy, your son, your daughter's dog...

I could be wrong of course having only passed through the south (unless you count disneyworld which I do not).

I know in MN it's common to ask "how are you guys" to a single person and the implication is "how is everyone you've ever known?" :-D

Oh and on that note "guys/you guys" is definitely the gender-neutral plural of choice!

• Michael

Most of my pet peeves are covered here... irregardless and "I could care less" are at the top. Don't forget ALLOT when not used as a form of allotment, but as in "I saw allot of great tile yesterday".

And yes, y'all is singular.

All y'all is plural :)

• miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)

I love all y'all. There's nothing quite like it when you're getting after rambunctious kids.

"ALL Y'ALL! OUT OF MY KITCHEN WITH THAT BASKETBALL!!"

Eta: poetry was unintentional but certainly enhances the *effect* (for you edenchild)!

Edit 2: I just realized that my first sentence could be taken as a declaration of my adoration for everyone here. That was also unintended but if you needed to hear a message of love today, take it with my warmest regards! I do deeply respect and appreciate this community :) and if you need a massage of love, that I cannot help you with :-D

• edenchild

LOL, Lindsey!

Jeffrey R. Grenz, General Contractor
    Sorry if I offended anybody here who is dyslexic, but it has nothing to do with these mispellings.

I'd put money on that this is a voice to text issue.

Advice vs advise

Tract vs track
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Actually, edenchild, "effect" can also be a verb, meaning "to bring about," as in "to effect a change." :)

GN Builders L.L.C

Most common in NY Greetings growing up were:

1. "How you doin?" answer "good how bout you/yourself?"

or

2. "hey, what it is?" answer " what it look like"

or

3."How'r you?" answer "see answer #1"

or

4."whats up?" answer " not much, whats up with you"

Or the most common answer to all 4 above is " fuggedaboutit!"

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Haha, and now Brooklyn is THE place to live in NY!

• Missing sophie, CP, many others and thei

South of the 49th. My school aged child was surprised to be told there were no ‘washrooms’ in a store we went into, even took her school teacher a second to figure it out!

• edenchild

Diana Biers, yes I do know that effect can sometimes be a verb but then it doesn't fit into the mnemonic! It's mostly used by bureaucrats that "effect change" (now that DOES sounds pretentious). Affect is also sometimes used as a noun, mostly in the psychiatric field - as in "the patient showed no affect towards her action" - but most people have trouble with the everyday usages of these two words.

• Helen

A recent comment on another thread :-)

You can take out and replace the boarder tile and most likely the boarder floor tile. Although it will still be a boarder accent with a different tile.
    Only difficult part would be taking the tiles off the wall without destroying the wall. #time&patients

@ the cooks kitchen unfortunately giving advice to gut the bathroom and start changing pluming is absurd. We have no clue what was used under the tile let alone a crack isolation membrane which I know you have no clue what that even is lol #facepalm better luck next time

Are border tiles more difficult to remove than boarders? My understanding is that boarders pay by the week but they may have squatter's rights :-)

And of course pluming probably refers to birds shedding their feathers rather than pipes that run water and waste ;-)

And I just don't have the patients to read any more illiterate posts :-).

GN Builders L.L.C

Diana, I couldn't agree with you more, I moved out of there about 30 years ago and when I retire I have plans to move back, I mean I'm only over 2 bridges (Verrazano and Outerbridge crossing crossing), 45 min and I'm there and I'm there all the time because most of my friends still there and Brooklyn is just one of those places that you can't live without.

• miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)

Poor Cook's Kitchen though. It is incredibly annoying to be chastised by someone with poor writing skills.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Helen, you crack me up!

• patriceny

Thank you Helen for cracking me up too. I started to be afraid we were heading into the toilet here - you got us back on track.

Life is too hard to get too riled up about people joking around about spelling rrors on the internets!

• Helen

@patrice. Don’t you mean I got you back on tract.

• M V

AAAAAHHHAHAHAHAHA......Helen....I see what you did there! Very clever. Well done! Right back where we started.

JAN MOYER

In my old age, I've been feeling entitled. Just the other day, I grabbed the arm of a lovely young girl, late twenties, who happened to be ( unfortunately for her ) in the next seat. SHE WAS TWIRLING HER HAIR. It went on for a half hour, and even more fascinating ? I started counting her "like" word on a napkin. Hash marks.............5, 10, 15.....

Back to me: I take her arm mid hair twirl.

"You must cut that "twirling thing" , Hon. You will never ever meet the hottie of your dreams. You must stop saying "like". Look at this, I have been counting ! All you will ever get with these habits are that really cute jerk over there; the one with no job and his hat on backwards."

For a second she was stunned. Then she laughed, and said: "Did my mom hire you? Are you UNDER COVER?"

Beth H. :

oh jan,,,bless you. do you know how many times I want to, like, shake, these, like, young people, when they like speak like that? My son is guilty of it. I tell him the same thing.

Did you answer with, "your mother sounds fabulous. you should listen to her". ?

• J Williams

I was gardening outside and this teen? set herself up by a park bench with her phone. You could see she had fabulous long hair all freshly cleaned, styled like a brunette my lil pony. She turned so her locks would move in the breeze like a model with a wind machine and then proceded to make faces (faces I would be embarassed to make in public honestly) and arrange herself in poses for I would guess 15, 20, 30 min, afterwards I wanted to smack her upside the head but I try to not act like a psycho. lol.

JAN MOYER

Excuse me? Who may I ask is the psycho here? I encountered a similar selfie snapper one day outside my local watering hole.

I realize love thyself is not without merit. Perhaps limit it to your bedroom. The one I encountered that summer day was so self absorbed, she never noticed ME standing there, with my mouth open.

• miss lindsey (still misses Sophie)

Folks I live with teens.

My eldest will be in the middle of tearfully telling us why we're the worst parents in the world and she will stop, snap a selfie of her stricken face, then go back to sobbingly relating her woes.

We just laugh, not much else we can do. Heartless us...

• Seajaygerns
    I never had children. There are some days I find myself regretting the decision. But most days, I think I’m the smartest gal in the world. The biggest reason for regret has been, now that I’m old, who in the hell is going to change my diaper. LOL.
  • Snaggy

@ ILoveRed ...* Dont feel too bad. Just because you can’t spell doesn’t mean you are not brilliant.* I don't feel bad ..just pissed off with the spelling police ! :)

• pb32

I personally always wanted to be a veterinarian. I wasn't able to make it. I don't waste any time being angry at people who did make it. Just food for thought.

Mark Bischak, Architect

From Urban Dictionary:

track house

The Trap and the crack house combined in perfect union

Sam said Velma stay outta the track house... Your to high to make that deal!!!!

JAN MOYER

I can't play the piano, can't sing, can only dance slow. Who cares? Actually, I do the only thing I am good at : ) save cleaning the house. Good at that too lol