0

Basement engineered Hardwood floor selection help

Lana L
last modified: January 10, 2019

I need help choosing the best Mirage engineered wood color for my basement . It is 1400sq ( open plan) and has very small windows so its little dark. I like warm colors but at the same time I dont want to choose a color that will make the space darker and smaller.

Thank you

• live_wire_oak

Suitable flooring for basements are porcelain tile, vinyl tile, polished concrete, or a low pile olefin carpet. Not wood.

• karrilouwho

Have you considered a luxury vinyl plank? We used an LVP (pictured above - Progen by Tarkett) in our below-grade remodel, and we absolutely love it.

• Lana L

its lovely! Thank you.

we will use only engineered and I just need help choosing the color

• Helen

I just finished a remodel using Mirage Red Oak in natural - the select and better because it had a quieter grain.

I liked the natural in white oak as well but I had a lot of cabinetry done in white oak so I wanted more of a contrast for the flooring.

I stayed away from maple because of the issues of changing color with light exposure but that's probably not an issue for a basement installation.

Lana L thanked Helen
  • iamtiramisu

If it were me, I'd probably go with the Maple exclusive in the last picture. It seems to be the lightest color and more neutral/natural looking than the rest. That said, it looks like you can get samples on the site, it might be best to get some so you can judge in person in your space vs. pictures on the internet.

Lana L thanked iamtiramisu
  • hollybar

I prefer the Natural in White Oak among your options. Do you know what rugs or furniture you will be using? That might make me change my opinion.

Lana L thanked hollybar
    Uptown Floors

It depends on the lighting as well.

1,400 SF open floor plan is a nice sized basement. Here's one along the coast in Rhode Island. May show yellows due to the lighting used. Doubtful if there were any windows. It's not Mirage but a visual that may benefit. 3/4" x 5 1/4" Mild character White Oak engineered.

Lana L thanked Uptown Floors
  • smotheredburrito

We just finished our basement with a water resistant wood-based laminate. We love it. We don't have a ton of windows and we used a medium gray color. We like the cozy feeling it provides. The colors you are selecting from are much lighter than what we used so I think you will be safe in not having it feel smaller and darker.

I think it depends on how much variation you want. I think the White Oak Isla and the White Oak Mist Character are nice. They seem to be a bit on the warmer side. My least favorite out of your selection is the Papyrus.

Try and get samples if you can. It's amazing how different they can feel when in your own space.

Lana L thanked smotheredburrito
  • Lana L

I haven't decided yet!! I will try to go to the flooring store tomorrow to check out few samples

• Lana L

I just came back from the flooring store and I like the Hula Hoop flooring. They have no sample as its new. Is it too dark for basement?

• smotheredburrito
    That looks like beautiful flooring and personally, I don't think it will be too dark.
    Lana L thanked smotheredburrito