Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ashley_ridings34

Front Entry Help

Godis 1
5 years ago

Bench is from my front porch. I have one that I have not put together yet. Placed there for color only. Any advice is helpful.

Comments (63)

• PRO
    Lion Windows and Doors
    5 years ago

A mirror would work well. Also probably want something taller and slimmer so you still maintain a clear walkway in.

• Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ok. So we finally closed on our new home and are finally done painting. It took forever to close. But still need front entry help. Please forgive the mess but haven't unpacked yet.

• Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is a better picture

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Look at the total space as you try to decide on how to furnish and arrange items.

The framed saying comes too close to the angle of the stair rail so that has to be moved. Paint the frame the same color as the bench. Place two hooks on either side of the framed saying, add a walk off rug & add some art on in your staircase above.

If I were stating from scratch, I would use a mirror instead of a framed print so people can tidy their look upon entering or leaving the house.

• Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Beverly I didn't think we were going to close on our new home but we finally did. Here is my new entryway. Should I do the same

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago
    • Do you have an entry closet?
    • Is this entry for guests or family?
    • Do you have a mudroom for family that is in another portion of the home?

If this entry is primarily for guests, I would start from scratch and determine what is actually required, & not force what I have into the space. IMO the blue bench & wall hooks are quite casual and your entry does not seem casual.

Here are some examples of foyers that have tables, mirrors and some with lights that might inspire you. Your foyer is the first impression guests have of your home and family. Put your best foot forward. You don't have to spend a ton of money, but be thoughtful and shop your home for items.

• Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

We are a bit more casual. I love teal, metal, wood, black and white. I still want nice pieces that last and doesn't look like children run my house.
    Is it just me or is the ceiling fan too low? We want a bigger dining room table. Maybe this helps. I haven't hung anything on the walls yet.

• Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    No entry closet. No mudroom and not enough space off the garage and laundry room for one.
  • Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The entry is both guest and family but I usually cone in through the garage. We like to leave our front door open since we have a screen door.
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

I think this soft blue color would be a better color for your entry because it's a bit dark in there.

• Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    There is a covered front porch which blocks some light but today there isn't much sun out.
  • Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I do have this piece in the garage. If the color is wrong I can paint it.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

There is no item.

• Susan Davis
    5 years ago

The first thing I thought of was to paint the wall behind the bench a color that you would find in another part of the house so the entry can relate to the house.....dark, medium, pale, what ever looks best with what you already have then use the color on the wall to inspire your choices of rug, lamps, art work.

• blamoreaux
    5 years ago

It might look great if you paint the stair wall. And, if you paint the whole foyer, use a very light shade, with the stair wall one or two shades darker in the same color. Think of starting with the bench you have, painting the wall it’s up against a very pale version, and the stair wall a slightlily more intense shade. Set off by white woodwork, it would be terrific! (And I agree, you need a rug to save your floors and pull it all together.) Good luck!

• Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Is this a good spot for a gallery wall?

• stp4779
    5 years ago

I wanted to see what your foyer would look like with a few different teals going on. Consistently using the same shade of a favorite color can sometimes make rooms look non-dimensional to me. Maybe a dark accent wall would look nice. The foyer keeps its light and airy feel thanks to the rugs, white pictures and silver accents.

• PRO
    S Reed design
    5 years ago
    I like the dresser you have in the garage. It would lend some weight to the space. Perhaps paint over black and distress lightly to let teal come through. Wax over the whole thing in a dark wax. Rub n buff is a paint product you could use to make the hardware pop. A bonus is storage too! Below is with just the dark wax.
  • J J
    5 years ago
    another teal fan
  • Nira Juso
    5 years ago
    Nice buffet. Seems solid. Not necessarily garbage, lol. Depending on the dimension it might interfere with the door, but looks like you have the space. I personally would like it white. But what would make YOU more happy? a bench or table. There's no right or wrong. You can always try something for a while. A mirror definitely brings more light not to mention dimension. I also have the similar issue with entry light at times, but unlike you I have a slim hallway so you are lucky! Have you seen those mirrors that have panels, imitating windows? I absolutely LOVE them!
  • Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Anyone suggest what kind of mirror. I prefer a bench while my kids are young. Maybe I can put the piece in my dining room and paint it black and or white.
  • Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I am okay also eith doing picture frames since they also bounce some light as well. I do want to change the entry light fixture.

I would paint the wall on the door but that wall also has the staircase and 2 other doors. So I would need to paint the hallway which I think it would be too dark.
  • Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I like the rug idea but not sure what size.
  • Nira Juso
    5 years ago
    I would resist painting walls unless I am trying to cover up another color. Sometimes in design/decor (in a haste) we do things we later regretted. Yes you can always repaint but I would work with non permanent items first. Best wishes!
  • Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

no?

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

I like the dresser in the current color, maybe with just dark wax.. I think we need more, brighter pictures of the rooms. The dresser could go on the back wall in the dining room with the bright picture and the two buffet lamps, but i can't see the sizes in the pictures showing. Add more pcitures of the family room too. There might be a place there for it.

• Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Found a black window pane mirror. Not sure if I should be a bench or the dresser. I just think the dresser would collect junk eventually like mail etc.
  • Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Working on the dresser with the wax. But we got the mirror up. Does it work?

• Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    My dresser doesn't fit on the wall. I thought it would but it doesn't. I found this piece that I can make my own. Does it work or is too small or not at all.
  • Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Forgot to add picture.

• Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Do I need to do the black paint or wax on this.

• PRO
    S Reed design
    5 years ago
    Wax with some show stopping hardware
  • Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I found some hardware but can't decide between the color I need to choose. Any recommendations? Also, what do I put on top as for decorations.
  • PRO
    S Reed design
    5 years ago
    I would go bold with gold! Brushed gold hardware and a very large scale lamp, a beautiful orchid in a darker stone urn type vessel reflecting in the mirror and a glittering medium sized tray to collect keys etc, btw love the modern wingback chair you have in the living area! Good choice
  • PRO
    S Reed design
    5 years ago
    Kinda like this, dm for orchid tips
  • Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I like the orchid, lamp and hardware idea but nothing in my house is gold. Would that still work?
  • PRO
    S Reed design
    5 years ago
    That’s why it’s a surprise and brushed rather than jump out at ya gold. Think champagne gold. Try the white wax first. It’ll seem beige. Just barely not teal. Like the mirror but if I was to spec it I would do an aged gold with an ivory dry brush. U seem talented at paint finishes. Work with the piece a little. Society social makes some beautiful pieces that you can take inspiration from
  • Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I get what you are saying! Thanks! I don't have white wax but I can get some. Will it keep with my sort of traditional farmhouse/country decor?
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    Rather than wall hooks, an interesting hall tree would add some height. The bench is a good spot for removing boots, and the color is really nice. I would add a door mat for wiping shoes in messy weather (outside if the front porch has a roof), a colorful rug and some art to add interest to the white walls. I would also consider a narrow console table and a mirror over it on the wall opposite the bench.
  • Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

So is this how the white wax should come out.

• Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Okay. A little bit of switch here. I found this dining set for $100 but it needs work. I love these old tables. What color should I paint and what kind of fabric should I do.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

Black, hale’s Navy or white with colorful fabric. Will this replace your current set?

• Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes it will.
  • Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Is this how you wax with the white or us less?

• PRO
    S Reed design
    5 years ago
    I like it a little heavy like that but it’s a personal preference. Looks great, how are you liking it?
  • Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I actually painted back over it. It was a bit much. I wasn't sure how to do the white with the teal paint.
  • Laura Hill
    5 years ago
    Looking nice! I like the “new” teal dresser in the foyer. One possible suggestion (not sure if it works, since we can’t see area in your pics)... since the foyer won’t have hooks for coats, or baskets/trays for shoes, maybe consider if the hallway from the garage can accommodate a row of hooks on wall with a shoe tray below.
  • PRO
    New York Hardware
    5 years ago

If there is going to be hardware, why not match or replace the front door hardware with a more attractive Handleset. Your New York Hardware Team. info@nyhardware.com www.nyhardware.com 949.631.0631

• Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is a full picture sort of. Hard to get a full pic of the entry. I don't think I have room for hooks. The hallway isn't wide enough.

• Godis 1
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is a full picture sort of. Hard to get a full pic of the entry. I don't think I have room for hooks. The hallway isn't wide enough.