Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
edubya

Canadians: Do you use Postal Codes for local search?

Emily H
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Rustic Homes · More Info

When you are searching for pros by location online, do you typically use the postal code to refer to your search area? If so, do you typically use just the first three characters or the full six character code?

Specifically, when you visit our pro directory's search box, which of the following options would be your preferred way to search?

VOTE and let us know the details in the comments!

General contractors in Vancouver SW downtown
General contractors in v6z
General contractors in v6z 0c8
Other - tell us below!

Comments (33)

• Scott G
    5 years ago

First I want the app to pick my location for me so I don't have to think. If it can't do that, then either the city name or the first 3 characters of postal code are fine.

• Wendy R
    5 years ago
    City name.
    First three of postal code aren’t much of a predictor, or define too small an area to be helpful.
  • Tanya H
    5 years ago
    Nope... city name.
  • PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting
    5 years ago

City name and the first 3 characters are really not helpful

• lindab2
    5 years ago
    No postal codes. City name only is the most helpful.
  • 13swelch
    5 years ago
    I don't think most people consider using their postal code to search.
  • saarela
    5 years ago

For those of us in smaller centres, less populated areas, we use the name of the town, city within a distance option

• w h
    5 years ago

In a less populated area, searching within x km of postal code should work. I just weed out the locations in the States or a ferry ride away that result from the search.

• Lynne
    5 years ago

local area, my small town or one half hour away. We have lived here for years, we tend to know who the good contractors/ tradesmen are. Sorry but the ads that come up on Houzz for my area are 6-7 hours away, I don't even glance at them.

• Toronto Veterinarian
    5 years ago

City name only. The only time I use a postal code to search is if I'm looking for a local branch of a multi-location company. Closer to me does not always mean easier or faster to get to, so distance by postal code isn't generally helpful.

• Michelle Panylyk
    5 years ago

I use both postal code and city name.

• hubie1
    5 years ago

I use city name only.

• mvcanada
    5 years ago

City name. But the city of Toronto is quite large so often even the name of a suburb so you get someone fairly local. I live in the West end. If I hire someone from the East end, he could be commuting well over an hour to my house daily and back and that would be time I'd be paying for, so I prefer to deal with someone nearby if possible.

I'm sure this would be true of other metropolitan areas as well. Vancouver would be the same, Calgary, Edmonton, Montreal, Ottawa etc.

I wouldn't use my postal code for that type of search. Some supplier websites want postal code to direct you to a dealer nearby - that is really the only time I'd search with my postal code.

• sharonekelly5269
    5 years ago

We use just the city name. Canadian postal codes are kind of "weird."

• Etta McFadden
    5 years ago

. E get contracted .

• Joyce Saunders
    5 years ago

Would refer to a city plus up to 150

• drdeb1234
    5 years ago
    The full postal code usually indicates ONE side of ONE street. WAy too specific. Even the first 3 characters is a pretty narrow area, especially in a big city. City name works best for me, with a km distance as an option.
  • Tammy MacArthur
    5 years ago
    City or county name.
  • Shirley Visser-Meier
    5 years ago

I type in my ciy, province (Waterloo, ON), and then distance in km if necessary

• edenchild
    5 years ago

City name with distance but it can lead to misleading results. For instance, I'm near Vancouver but often get Victoria pros come up in a search. It may be "close" as the crow flies, but Victoria is on Vancouver Island - 1.5 hours away by ferry. No pro would travel that far unless desperate for work.

• Maria
    5 years ago

I use the Name of the Region...eg Niagara. Sometimes I also add the city name. I live in a rural area so have to widen the search. Postal codes are just that...great for mail delivery but not so much for defining a geographical area.

• Mary Jane Banks
    5 years ago

I use just the city name. Since I live in a smaller city next to larger one, I use the larger cities name instead of mine.

• judibaker
    5 years ago
    Definitely city name! Not many Canadians identify themselves by their postal codes...
  • PRO
    Bravehart Interiors
    5 years ago

Google maps, street address is best. Most specific. Postal codes are for mailmen - of which there are soon going to be none of!!!!

• PRO
    Bravehart Interiors
    5 years ago

Or should I have said "mail persons"?

• PRO
    Ball&Paw Salvage
    5 years ago
    The term “letter carriers” is gender neutral and doesn’t sound awkward. Problem solved :-)
  • dee_mckervey
    5 years ago
    My postal code is attached to the mail sorting center miles away! Definitely a problem if someone is using GPS and the postal code to find me! What works in Calgary is compass specifics
  • Mary Ellen
    5 years ago

City name + mileage. My entire town is one postal code, but I live closer to two other towns !

Houzz is always showing me adds for companies hours away, I think it might have to do with my internet provider bouncing signals, always different areas of the province!

• Sheila
    5 years ago
    never
  • John Davies
    5 years ago

I live in the bush, outside a tiny village in Northern Ontario. Since Facebook came along, all we have to do is go to our town page and ask folks for recommendations for any job we want done and not only will we get suggested trades people, but what their customers thought of the job they did.

• Cat Anderson Kastrinakis
    4 years ago

Yes we use postal codes, just like you use Zip codes

• myrnaflorence
    4 years ago

I live in a small town. Postal code is useless, word of mouth operates very effectively here! I search for some services by city or area name.

Sponsored
John Romans Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full Service, Turn-Key Construction & Design Company