Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Terrarium for starting seeds

Lars
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I mentioned a year ago or so that I was going to set up this terrarium for starting seeds, and someone asked me to post a photo of it when I got it set up, and so here it is! The box is 36.5"W x 16"D x 17.5"H, and I used to keep an iguana in it that someone gave me. It has a heating pad in it (on the left, in front of the thermometer), and this keeps the air temperature at 82°. In addition to chocolate Habanero seed (some that I bought and some that I saved from chilies I grew last year), I also have lemongrass, summery savory, and miscellaneous seeds given to me by a friend, who will be able to identify the plants later, if they grow. Some of these may make hot chilies and some may make mild chilies, but he said that tasted good anyway.

In just three days, the lemongrass seeds have already sprouted. I'm going to be adding some more chili seeds later, when I receive them, but the chocolate Habaneros need to get a head start. Last year we were out of town the end of February/early March, and so I could not start my seeds until March, and I had a difficult time with them, as I was only using the covered box inside the terrarium, and perhaps it did not stay warm enough. Anyway, it took a while to get seeds started the old way, and I did not get chocolate Habanero chilies until early December, and I only had one good plant despite planting dozens of seeds. Fortunately I was able to buy some chocolate Habanero chilies at one of the farmers' markets here, but I very seldom see them. I made as much hot sauce as I could with what I had, but it is not going to last me very long. Plus I have to give some of it as a Christmas present each year.

Some of the seeds are outside the large box inside the terrarium, and I am wondering how I should handle watering them. I would prefer to spray them with water without moving them, as the containers start to come apart when I handle them too much. Should I get another container to hold them? What is the ideal temperature for sprouting chocolate Habanero seeds?

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!