Software
Houzz Logo Print
aliotto

faucet handle leaking

7 years ago
Help! My high quality Delta Weymouth faucet is leaking some kind of brown gunk from the right handle only. We have two Weymouth faucets in our master bath, they are beautiful, but mine is leaking brown stuff from one handle only. My husbands faucet is fine. I had a plumber out and he replaced mine with a new one... it is leaking gunk again. Plumber said he has no idea why. This is new construction and it’s been leaking for about 8 months now.
I’m frustrated because it is starting discolor the grout on my quartz counter top. I should not have to wipe around the handle base after each use! These faucets were not cheap!!!Does anyone out there know what is causing this?

Comments (16)

  • 7 years ago

    I imagine the 'brown stuff' is rust. Just a guess that the faucet stem packing is leaking.

  • 7 years ago
    Geoffrey_b, thank you but the gunk is not rust, it’s sort of gooey and brown, like what you would see leaking from an electric toothbrush that has not been cleaned well... if you know what I’m talking about? Also, the entire faucet was replaced once already and the new handle continues to do the same thing. The plumber was here again today and he is stumped.
  • 7 years ago

    He doesn't seem like much of a plumber if he doesn't take it apart - your going to see the problem.

  • 7 years ago

    I assumed that replacing the whole set was more thorough than taking the old one apart. Not so?

  • 7 years ago
    check your aeator and see if it is fouled. If your aerator is a bit crusty (is your faucet first in line?), water will back up and seep down the back of the faucet. Its not technically a leak, just water that couldn't find its way out of the spout.. and has to find a new way down.
    Maybe, maybe not. But worth a look.
  • 7 years ago

    Not passive, next step is to find a new plumber.

  • 7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

    It is inappropriate for someone to call the OP passive. Saying that introduces personalized, familiar, and judgemental language into a conversation with the OP who asked for advice. The person that said the OP was passive does not know the OP. If OP was passive they would not post for help. Asking for help is active, not passive.

    Al Otto thanked AJCN
  • 7 years ago

    Bump

  • 7 years ago

    Bump, bump. I don't think people that post here for help should be bullied, name-called, or labeled. Just be professional and address the question at hand. I'm not going to leave this forum. I've received so much help here. But, I will call out bullies.


  • 7 years ago
    Could it be from something under the sink? I'd get a new plumber.
  • 7 years ago

    Hansen... I guess it could be, but I don’t know what!?

  • 7 years ago

    Correction: the faucet set is MOEN not Delta, if that makes a difference to anyone out there.

  • 7 years ago

    https://michaelkummer.com/health/black-slime-on-faucets/


    Maybe the piece of pipe that connects to your faucet is different from that to your husband's and causes that reaction described above.

  • 7 years ago
    No soccer mom, thanks , I’ll keep that in mind.
  • 7 years ago

    Moen absolutely makes a difference. Moen carries a lifetime guarantee. Assuming you registered your hardware with Moen and have proof of purchase, Moen will send you new parts and the small tools to fix it for free.