0

HELP with bagged daylily roots

I've never bought bagged roots, but I couldn't pass them up today at WalMart because the ones on the picture were so beautiful. I realize that I will probably not get the pretty daylilies on the front of the package, but even if they're just orange, I'll be happy. On the other hand, it will be interesting to see what comes out of them.

I opened them up expecting to find roots, and I found lots of long, pale, spindly yellow leaves already growing, and some roots that look like they're actually dead. I have them in water now, and I'm going to clean them well and plant them tomorrow. One of them is quite large with quite a few sprouts, so I'm hoping that one survives and makes a clump.

How do I plant them? Do I just leave them as is, or do I cut the leaves back to encourage new growth. I doubt any of this growth is ever going to be beautiful.

• signet_gw(6b)

Here is the link to the AHS database with info in their FAQ section on how to prepare your daylilies and how exactly to plant them for best growth.including how many hours of sunlight for optimum growth https://daylilies.org/daylilies/faq/

In regards to your question about cutting back the leaves, In the normal course of planting and then growing any leaves presently on the plants will die back as new ones grow from the crown , so yes you can cut back the yellowing leaves. It will not hurt the plant

• Glenn Jones(9b)

Trem leaves, plant full sun, well drained area so they don't rot and forget about them and they should be fine. I use to plant a lot for new homes because they thrive on neglect. Also the young buds and flowers on most is eatable.

• bea (zone 9a -Jax area)

I concur with Glenn. I have a bed of 42 specialty daylilies and an area about 20x10 where I planted the standard orange wild ones that I brought from home. All are the easiest, hardiest plants I grow.

• signet_gw(6b)

probably the most important thing is to make sure that the crown of the plant is not planted too deeply If it is it will affect amount of bloom and plant in full sun if possible although some daylilies will perform ok in a little less sun. . Top of crown of plant should be no lower than an inch from the top of the soil. Here are a couple of images of some of my daylily gardens . Good luck with your daylilies . You will enjoy them !

• dirtygardener -- Z9a, N. Central Florida

Signet, those are lovely! I don't have a lot of full sun around here, but I'm extending the sunniest areas I have to accomodate my dayliles and amaryllis this year, since I have some nice amaryllis bulbs that have never bloomed in the three years I've had them, and they're of blooming size.

I put all three roots in a 3-gallon container for now so I can baby them a bit. I figure they have to be tissue cultured, because I found one little clump that looked like a clump of seedlings, but that's o.k. I like surprises. I grew some amaryllis from seed and one bloomed last year. The seeds were from a red/white striped flower but the flower turned out to be a triple light red with white stripes. Very pretty!